Circle of Eight Modpack v8 Final General Commentary & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Pygmy, Sep 16, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Ah, thanks Gazra! If I ever get the game running again, I'll test a proper fix.

EDIT: And I've edited in the proper numbers from description.mes to my post in the "Let's Populate the Merchant's Row" thread (6342 and 6343 for those who are wondering).

2. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

Originally posted by Salk:
    The following information is from the game guide sticky thread (it lists items that Rannos Davl and Gremag sell in their Trading Post in Hommlet, as well as the percentage chance that they have those items in stock each day):

Smokestick (90%) (using it causes the same effect as the Fog Cloud spell)

Spyglass (90%) (doubles Spot skill during random encounter Spot checks)

Antitoxin (90%) (+5 luck bonus to saves vs Poison for 1 hour)

Lockslip Grease (90%) (+1 bonus to Open Lock checks; 2 uses only)

Healer's Kit (90%) (+2 circumstance bonus to Heal checks)

Scholar's Kit (90%) (+2 circumstance bonus to Spellcraft checks)

Eyeglasses (90%) (+2 circumstance bonus to Appraise skill)

Armour Oil (90%) (permanent +1 to Armor Check Penalty of any metallic armour; 1 use only)

Merchant's Scale (90%) (+2 circumstance bonus to Appraise skill)

The following information is from the SRD (System Reference Document):

Acid: You can throw a flask of acid as a splash weapon. Treat this attack as a ranged touch attack with a range increment of 10 feet. A direct hit deals 1d6 points of acid damage. Every creature within 5 feet of the point where the acid hits takes 1 point of acid damage from the splash.

Antitoxin: If you drink antitoxin, you get a +5 alchemical bonus on Fortitude saving throws against poison for 1 hour.

Holy Water: Holy water damages undead creatures and evil outsiders almost as if it were acid. A flask of holy water can be thrown as a splash weapon.
    Treat this attack as a ranged touch attack with a range increment of 10 feet. A flask breaks if thrown against the body of a corporeal creature, but to use it against an incorporeal creature, you must open the flask and pour the holy water out onto the target. Thus, you can douse an incorporeal creature with holy water only if you are adjacent to it. Doing so is a ranged touch attack that does not provoke attacks of opportunity.
    A direct hit by a flask of holy water deals 2d4 points of damage to an undead creature or an evil outsider. Each such creature within 5 feet of the point where the flask hits takes 1 point of damage from the splash.
    Temples to good deities sell holy water at cost (making no profit).

Smokestick: This alchemically treated wooden stick instantly creates thick, opaque smoke when ignited. The smoke fills a 10- foot cube (treat the effect as a fog cloud spell, except that a moderate or stronger wind dissipates the smoke in 1 round). The stick is consumed after 1 round, and the smoke dissipates naturally.

TOOLS AND SKILL KITS

Healer’s Kit: It is the perfect tool for healing and provides a +2 circumstance bonus on Heal checks. A healer’s kit is exhausted after ten uses.

Musical Instrument, Common or Masterwork: A masterwork instrument grants a +2 circumstance bonus on Perform checks involving its use.

Scale, Merchant’s: A scale grants a +2 circumstance bonus on Appraise checks involving items that are valued by weight, including anything made of precious metals.

Thieves’ Tools: This kit contains the tools you need to use the Disable Device and Open Lock skills. Without these tools, you must improvise tools, and you take a –2 circumstance penalty on Disable Device and Open Locks checks.

Thieves’ Tools, Masterwork: This kit contains extra tools and tools of better make, which grant a +2 circumstance bonus on Disable Device and Open Lock checks.

You can learn about the D&D 3.5 role-playing system (which is what this computer game and modpack use) by either:

* reading the online SRD at the following link:

http://www.d20srd.org/

* downloading the SRD (System Reference Document) from the following link:

http://www.wizards.com/d20/files/v35/SRD.zip

For more information on this computer game and modpack, do a word search of the game guide page.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  3. Salk

Salk Established Member

Thanks for the info, gazra_1971.

My issue is that a player should not really need to look for learning this outside the game itself and I am just wondering if there is a technical reason for having not implemented those descriptions into the game. I would happily do it myself, provided it's an easy task.

Since I am no modder, I'd be really grateful if someone could then tell me how I go about doing it.

4. Chad878262

Chad878262 Member

Are there any special installation instructions for the extra mods posted? (temple map and vignette loot) They are both zip files and I want to make sure they don't negatively impact my co8 mod. Do I just place them in the data folder of my TOEE game? Sorry if there are installation instruction somewhere, I haven't found any.

5. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

They are both included in the 8.0.1 patch, so you don't need to install separately.

6. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

OK, I'm finally getting around to trying again. Strangely, this time when I did the uninstall routine, everything was deleted automatically. We'll see how the installation half of the process goes...

EDIT: So far so good. I can get past the shop map, and can even turn off the intro movies and run at my native monitor resolution. Now to see if I can restore saves...

EDIT2: Yes! Of course, I forgot to move the most recent set of saves out of the folder before the uninstaller had it's way with it, but at least I have something in the nodes to work from. Thanks Gaear and Gazra!

EDIT3: OK, so I apparently fixed the buying problem for Veenah, but failed to add the long coats to her inventory correctly. Back to the drawing board...

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  7. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Hey Salk, glad you're interested in helping.

Two options I can think of - one is creating entries in the Wiki help system (see thread in General Modding - Improving the ingame help), and the other is editing the long_description.mes file, which contains the shift-click descriptions (pretty straightforward format). If you need any help, let me know.

8. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

But the problem that Salk is referring to is that the player can't read the long descriptions of items that NPC vendors have in their shop inventories BEFORE buying the item, so the only way to read the long description of an item is AFTER the player has already bought the item (which is VERY frustrating if the player doesn't know the exact function of the item beforehand).

9. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

That's just bizarre. Glad you got it going though. :)

10. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Through it, yes, but the weirdness continues. I noticed all five of my extraplanar chests had been emptied, so I went back to start a new game. In the process, I noticed there seem to be two different versions of toee.cfg. All the data seems to be there, just in a different order. Does that sound right?

11. Gaear

No, not really. There should only be able to be one file type of a specific name in any given folder in Windows. You're saying you have two toee.cfgs sitting right next to each other in your ToEE root folder? (Having the info listed in a different order within the file is normal and doesn't matter.)

EP chests don't play well with saves, so that part's not unexpected.

12. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Only one .cfg file, but the version I'm looking at now is organized differently than the one I was looking at before the crash last week. Specifically, the video_width is now up near the top where the video_height used to be. I probably never would have noticed except that I've lost count of the number of times I've had to manually reset the resolution due to the constant power outages here.

13. Gaear

That routinely gets jumbled up and doesn't matter. The game still reads all the lines.

14. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Ah good, thanks! I suspected that might be the case since the game works despite the change.

15. Salk

Salk Established Member

Exactly.

The SHIFT-click option should made available on items all the time, not only after they are in the inventory.

Sitra Achara,

thanks for your pointers. I'll see if I can do something. :)

Our Host!