Almost totally unable to run CO8

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by snarf, Jan 2, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. snarf

snarf Member

I managed to run Co8 a couple years ago, and it worked just fine. I didn't get too far into the game (the Baldur's Gate and Icewind Dale games made TOEE feel too tough, but I'm back at it again). I can't get this thing to run now, though.

I'm using the .exe for the new content version provided on this site, not using a third party. At first, everything would load up fine until I got to the main menu screen for the game, where it promptly locked up and I had to ctr-alt-del out before I could even hit "new game." After reactivating the module, I was able to make a party, did the equipment room, went to Hommlet, saved, quit, went to bed.

Now, I will run the frontend, hit play, I'll get the status bar that tells me the module is loading, and the game very quickly crashes to the desktop. No error or lockup, just dumps me right out. I have tried reactivating the module, doesn't work (it worked once though, but after that one time, it now refuses). Tried with and without intro cutscenes, doesn't work. Running as admin, disabled themes. AV knows to disregard anything coming from that directory (which is C:\GOG Games\TOEE). My AV is Avast, and I just use Defender for a firewall.

This is just today. Last week I was trying to find an installer for the mod that would run AT ALL. After a lot of reinstalling, uninstalling, registry cleaning, etc, I thought I had something stable for a day or two.

Would be very grateful for any suggestions on how to fix these probs!

2. war3069

war3069 Member

one snag i found was if i had all eight character slots filled when starting the game it would crash... so i just made seven and it works fine for me...

i'm not part of the Co8 team... i just am greatful for what they have done for us players...

3. Groo the Ambler

Groo the Ambler Loot the Rot Grubs

I assume that you followed the instructions given here: http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6695

It is recommended that you install directly to C: (C:/Temple of Elemental Evil, for example.) Your GOG installer will allow you to do that. Be sure to give the module time to activate.

I've gotten these modpacks to work on a wide variety of machines, so just be persistent. I don't know about your Avast - I use AVG with the proper ignore instructions and never have a problem.

4. snarf

snarf Member

Looking back through the directions now. With regards to Java, I had the new auto-update version, but saw a help thread where someone had a Java problem, someone linked to a manual install, and that fixed the OP's problem. So Java ought not be an issue.

GOG has a new installer. I'll have to play around with it, but at no point did it ask me which directory to use for the install. I figured it was only important that the game not be in Program Files, but I'll see what I can do with the installer. Oh, and I do wait until everything's finished with the module installation and activation before doing anything.

I'll try the reinstall and see what happens.

5. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

If you click on the "options" button, (lower left corner) of the gog installer you can choose where to install the game.

6. snarf

snarf Member

Reinstalled everything, to the root directory, same problem. :(

7. Zoltec

Zoltec Pгōdigium

I'm gonna help you, although I can't assure you, that we'll solve your problem easily.

First question, what is your Operating System? Second, what is your Graphics Card?

Try re-installing the Temple of Elemental Evil game from scratch. Since, it's a GoG version, you are not required to do a version patching. Alright, now, do install the co8-modpack, it should be on the root-directory of the Temple of Elemental Evil game. You said in your recent post that you already updated your Java from it's latest-release. From that outlook all should be working fine, but still the problem persist according to your post.

If you already tried my suggestion, then the problem must be tied with your graphics card. But don't worry, you could try running TFE-X as an administrator, there is a recent post suggesting that "he must run TFE-X as an administrator, to prevent the game from crashing in loading screen into the desktop."

8. TarMynastyr

TarMynastyr Member

I have the same problem as war3069, I can't play with a huge party or it will sooner or later crash to desktop without any error message.

I think the problem is related to comp.

9. Zoltec

Zoltec Pгōdigium

Maybe, both of you didn't set it correctly in the TFE Front-End? It should be '8 PCs, 0 NPC' to work correctly. I've run a recent test, filling the 5 visible slots, and adding 3 more which makes 8, and still, it ported my party successfully unto the shopmap w/o any problems at all.

10. snarf

snarf Member

OS is Win7 x64. Graphics card is nVidia Geforce GT 610. And I'm already running TFE-X as admin. And no party size shenanigans here, just sticking to 5.

11. snarf

snarf Member

Haha, I seem to have stumbled upon a solution. I MUST have intro videos enabled. I cannot skip the Atari and Wizards Of The Coast logos. Then I have to let the intro cinematic run for a few seconds before I press escape. So far, this has resulted in the game starting and running properly. Yay!

12. Zoltec

Zoltec Pгōdigium

Jaheira told me that your rig have chosen a rocky path, for the mean-time.

13. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

It is indeed the the intro vids that are mandatory for the game to run on Win 7. I have had the same thing, so now I spend hitting the Esc button a lot before serving swift justice to... some bony bums in emready fields :p I did snatched away the cloak, shield & armor already though.

And since I used the original disks, it's not linked to the gog version alone, it is truly a bug in front end. Or maybe it's just with certain video cards that the "disable intro vids" crashes the game. For the record, I too have an Nvidia graphics card.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  14. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

It's neither a bug with ToEE nor the front end, it's the result of the lack of effective interoperability between a 10 year old game based on Windows XP and a modern operating system.

15. sunspear732

sunspear732 Archmage of Greyhawk

That's VERY interesting, cause when i did that, only the PCs who were in the 5 visible slots appeared in the Shop, even though the setting was 8 PC. I change it to 7 PC and it works fine for all 8 characters O.0 wtf happened?

Our Host!