Monk/rogue

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Ertury, Dec 19, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ertury

Ertury Member

I was on the site and I read of a strange(or at least particular) build:the monk/rogue.The logic of this build seems not so bad.Flurry of blows combined with TWF and sneak attacks.I tried it with console(before making a party with that).The damage output of monk/rogue was a little bit better than that of a pure monk(with belt of strength and the amulet with great magic fang,i don't remember the exact name sorry).The monk/rogue wieds two dao(got keen too).The damage is however less than pure rogue's damage.Someone could gives me advices on that build,a pure monk build,and a pure rogue TWF build.Thanks so much.

2. mrmarginal

mrmarginal Member

TWF + FoB = BUG

You will receive massive penalties to your +hit.

In my humble opinion monks are too bugged to provide ANYTHING.

Only play a monk if you want to roleplay one.

Many posters on the forum swear by rogues. I find them polarizing; massive damage or nill.

If you want a dual wield build, then my rough guildline would be(non point buy):
    -Enlarge person is a must to equip two falchions or any two handed weapon (except bastard swords or spike chain)-
    10 rang 8 fighter barb 2-

Half Orc
    1. Bar CR
    2. Ran
    3. Fig(1) CE, Imp Trip
    4. Ran(2) Mastery- TWF
    5. Fig(2) Power Attack
    6. Ran(3) Cleave
    7. Fig(3)
    8. Ran(4)
    9. Fig(4) WF Falchion, Great Cleave
    10. Ran(5)
    11. Fig(5)
    12. Ran(6) Mastery- ITWF, WS Falchion
    13. Fig(6) Imp Crit Falchion
    14. Ran(7)
    15. Fig(7) Imp Initiative
    16. Ran(8)
    17. Fig(8) Quick Draw
    18. Ran(9) Free*
    19. Barb(2)
    20. Ran(20)

Edit* Greatswords are better than falchions for this build due to the way that crit enhancements stack.

3. TarMynastyr

TarMynastyr Member

Not a bad build mrmarginal. 10 lvls of rangers does give u full bab, free itwf, extra dmg vs chosen foes, animal companion, minor spells and access to some scrolls/wands on top of decent skill points.

However, 11 rogue/8fighter/1barb will outperform in terms of damage if you have a magic support class to provide greater invisibility and burst elemental weapons. On top of having access to a greater amount of skillpoints and many class specific skills. Surely you don't need some feats such as greater weapon focus or weapon focus until later in the game.

Another thing I would suggest is to use falchions like you said or scythes over greatsword when you have access to elemental burst weapons as the crit range and crit multiplier will make those weapons hit harder than a greatsword.

Another option is wizard or bard multi instead of ranger for very strong selfbuffs such as mirror images.

Our Host!