8.0 ModPack and Windows 8

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by son_of_liberty, Dec 21, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. son_of_liberty

son_of_liberty Member

I am having trouble installing the modpack. I have windows 8, and bought the game from GOG since losing my discs. How do get the modpack to work?

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

3. son_of_liberty

son_of_liberty Member

I get a little window that says: "The file could not be saved because the source file could not be read."

4. Kragenskjold

Kragenskjold Member

5. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

If you are using the Circle_of_Eight_Modpack_8.0.0_Standard_Edition_Setup.exe file, then it should be 495.08 MB in size.

If you are using the Circle_of_Eight_Modpack_8.0.0_New_Content_Edition_Setup.exe file, then it should be 506,969 KB in size.

Check that your file is indeed the correct size. If it isn't, then you'll need to re-download the file again and make sure that you download the whole file without any corruption during the download process. Other forum members have reported problems trying to download the file using Desura. Avoid using Desura if you can.

If it is, then the only other things that I can think of are to make sure that you are not trying to install it to your 'Program Files' folder (select/create another folder such as 'games'), and to make sure that you are 'Running as Administrator' and that the file has Run as Administrator privilege when you are trying to run it (right-click on the file and select Run as Administrator from the menu list in the pop-up window).

I've never used Windows 8 yet, so I'm not much help here, sorry.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  6. son_of_liberty

son_of_liberty Member

I am using a new AV. Maybe that is the problem? I use firefox, but I have for years and it did not stop me from downloading other NC versions on my old computer. I did put TOEE in the games folder instead of programs. I don't get that far with the NC download. As soon as the DL "finishes" the window pops up with 3 tries thus far.

7. son_of_liberty

son_of_liberty Member

Ok, I got it downloaded. Now, while running as admin, I get this:

An error occurred while trying to rename a file in the destination directory.
    Move file failed code 5.
    Access is denied.
    Click retry to try again(done 3 times), ignore to skip this file, or abort to cancel installation.

Now what?

8. son_of_liberty

son_of_liberty Member

Forget it. WebRoot really does not like you guys lol. I got it working.

9. Nomad

Nomad Member

Guys,
    There is also one issue with Windows 8 and touch/stylus input: game is completely unplayable because of shifting and jittering cursor. I spend a lot of time and made a patch project to fix such issues for old games. Right now ToEE have Silver status - it is 90% playable without external mouse and keyboard, but you still have to re-calibrate with five fingers tap after each cinematics or Alt-Tab.
    Here is a link to the project: http://github.com/Nomad1/touchmouse
    Project is at very beginning and I would really appreciate any help, including feedback, test for other games and/or game versions or mods.

Our Host!