Sap and hello

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Kilkakon, Sep 3, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. Kilkakon

Kilkakon Member

Hi there Co8! First post! :thumbsup:

First off, thank you to all the beautiful people who made the mod. I downloaded 7.6 NC about 6 months ago when Temple of Elemental Evil was on sale at GoG and enjoyed it a lot, so cheers. I didn't even realise that there was bonus content after the boss as I completed the evil ending, haha~

I admit the new font change threw me at first. :O The main menu is a bit busted up, although ingame it's very easy to get used to quickly. I'm sure people with reading problems appreciate the bigger font.

Now to what I was wondering... is the sap in the game? I was going through the manual and trying to come up with a guy who used a non-lethal weapon, and saw the sap, and thought that would be a creative touch. But I looked around EVERYWHERE for one in a vendor and couldn't find one! Alas.

Is there something I am missing?

2. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

Welcome to the forum, Kilkakon.

Unfortunately, the game manual for this computer game was printed before the final version of the original computer game was released, and there are a few things listed in the game manual that never made it into the computer game (like some of the weapons (such as sap and using shields as weapons), and the action Aid Another).

However, any character can use any melee weapon to do nonlethal damage with (it is a radial menu option), but doing so will give you a -4 penalty to hit because you are deliberately checking your blows (which requires effort and skill).

What you might be interested in playing is a monk who uses unarmed attacks and chooses to do nonlethal damage, because monks don't suffer any penalty to hit when doing nonlethal damage with their unarmed attacks. Hope this helps.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  3. Kilkakon

Kilkakon Member

Aww okay! I liked the niche of a weapon that was actually good at it, apart from being a -4 thing. My character is Neutral Good, so Monk isn't an option. Still, thanks for the response and welcome. :)

I was trying to think of a way to create a huggy, friendly sort of character. Was going to go Rogue 1-2/Cleric X.

4. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

Sounds like you want a bard (said from someone that fondly remembers the old EA Bard's Tale CRPG series- ah, memories...:yes:).

5. Kilkakon

Kilkakon Member

That was my thought as well! Sadly I already have a Bard, as I have a character who is a wanderer due to people wanting to use him for his powers. I attempted to go on a solo run with him, haha~

I did one of those online questionnaire things to try and work out what sort of character he was (it was of those "What class and level are you?" ones, but I answered as if he was taking the test) which suggested a Cleric, hence wanting to try that route, haha~

6. Kilkakon

Kilkakon Member

How hard would it be to add the sap? :)

Either A) in the actual modpack

or B) as a modded club

Although I just realised that these might be the same thing, seeing as how a lot of the new swords fall under the same feat.

7. Kilkakon

Kilkakon Member

Just played another evening with my party. :) Using a club instead of the sap, although he's still rubbish at fighting so chances of actually killing things are pretty remote anyway.

Glad I didn't go for the Monk route though, as those guys tend to prance about combat really weirdly.

Still a great game though. :)

8. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

Honestly, doing a solo run in any d&d computergame is going to be though...most battles are created with a 4-to-6 members party in mind.

And monks can be pretty awesome, it's just that they're made of rice-paper in their first 5 lvls.

9. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Yeah, a level 10 monk is a wizard slayer!

10. Kilkakon

Kilkakon Member

Ah I was using a full party this time. :D I have tried the following so far:

Lawful Evil Fighter 4/Rogue X Crossbow
    Neutral Evil Druid X
    Fighter 2/Ranger X Rapier

That party is currently wondering how to kill a Balor when it's always failing vs. Fear haha

I have once tried solo Bard. Was a bit hard though, RNG is king there.

And this party is
    Paladin X Dual Short Swords
    Fighter 1/Druid X Quarterstaff (this guy is awesome, trips people almost every turn and then whacks them for free)
    Rogue 2/Cleric X Club (yeah...)
    Monk 4/Wizard 1 (bit rubbish really)
    Fighter 1/Rogue X Longbow (probably needs a few more levels of fighter, she still has major accuracy problems)
    Lizard Familiar uses potions every turn, woo! Shame it's so weak. Probably pure Wizard was a better idea.

Our Host!