Spell Glitches in Version 8.0.1 New Content Edition

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by ericw, Nov 28, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. ericw

ericw Member

Since sirchet said they are going to be reviewing many spells and possibly updating them, I figured I'd post spell and spell-related glitches that I have come across during my play of this game, which Co8 made most excellent! :)

1) Web and Stinking Cloud will sometimes cause my characters to lose movement. They are not in the cloud or web, but they seem to inherit the loss of movement from one of the affected enemy units.

2) Stinking Cloud will sometimes affect enemy units continuously. For example, I cast it on the game's main villain, and she basically stayed Sickened with no saving throws for the entire duration of the spell, letting me beat her up easily.

3) Also, Stinking Cloud and Cloudkill will sometimes go outside of their area of effect, in that, I cast it and make sure not to target my own party using the visual that shows who is affected by the spell, and yet, some of my own party members will still be affected right when I cast it.

4) Summon Nature's Ally IX and Summon Monster IX summoned creatures that did not attack the enemy at all. They would just stand around taking hits from enemy champs, but would do nothing in battle. I basically had to just use them as meat shields.

5) I had the same problem with summoned units from the Orb of Golden Death. First of all, I was able to summon endless numbers of Earth Elementals, which it shouldn't allow. I used it to surround the most difficult enemy in the most difficult Node, while my party dealt him damage. The Earth Elementals just stood around and let the enemy kill them one by one.

6) As already mentioned in another thread, Chain Lightning will often make the game CTD.

7) Break Enchantment allows for targeting of my character many many times. If one of my characters gets affected by an enemy enchantment by a powerful enemy spellcaster, I can just cast Break Enchantment and target my character a dozen times, and at least one of those rolls should dispel the enemy's enchantment.

8) I can cast Otiluke's Resilient Sphere on one of my adventurers, and that adventurer can still move around and cast spells and such, while being immune to all damage. Not sure if I want this fixed though as it would be impossible to beat up on some of the super high-level spell-resistant enemies in the very last part of the game without this glitch.

9) Delayed Blast Fireball has a strange lightning animation entwined with the fireball animation that causes the game to freeze up for a few moments...probably, it doesn't need the lightning animation as the spell has nothing to do with lightning, although, it was probably done to differentiate it from the normal Fireball spell.

10) Horrid Wilting has this HUGE area of effect that doesn't seem to be correct. Almost impossible to cast without hurting a party member.

11) Sunburst has no spell description. It just says Sunburst. It also has a very huge area like Horrid Wilting, which makes it almost impossible to cast without affecting your own team.

12) Holy Word seems way overpowered. I can run my cleric solo through a map and just use Holy Word against hordes of enemies, dealing 1000+ points of damage to each enemy champ. Not sure if this is the way the spell is supposed to work.

13) On going from level 19 to 20 with my Sorceress, it gave me options to get some spells that had no spell description. There was Infatuation, All Die, and a third one that I don't remember the name of. I did not choose them, so I don't know if they work in game or not.

14) Upon reaching level 20, my Sorceress has 3 level 9 spells memorized. However, in her spellbook, it lists the 3 spells plus another line that says, "Error! Missing line 813 in mes\spell.mes. Weirdly, the description of that line says, "Error! Missing line 5813 in mes\spell.mes. Has no effect on the game, but makes the spellbook look messy with that line.

Well, that's it from me...great job on the game, Co8! :thumbsup:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  2. zugschef

zugschef Established Member

This means that you can select your targets, so there is no area of effect. A creature is either a desginated target or not.

Holy Word and its derrivates are all working extremely strange in this game. What they should actually do, is cause status effects up to death according to the ratio of the caster's caster level to the target's number of hit dice. Instead it somehow deals stupidly high amounts of damage and kills creatures which according to the rules should be actually blinded.

3. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Unfortunately, ToEE over-estimates your caster's caster level, thus resulting in the insta-killing effect (it wrongly identifies enemies as being 10 levels below the caster level, since the CL is inflated). Might be due to a miscalculation for the Good Domain bonus.

But, I think we can work around this, by manually calculating the caster level. I'll need a little help though - what should count towards the caster level?

As I see it, the formula should be:

Code:
    x = 1 if caster has good domain, 0 else
    caster_level = cleric_levels + x

4. Kragenskjold

Kragenskjold Member

I noticed this too in the last fight, with the balors. I have 2 sorcs in the party and both casted summon IX, elder earth elementals and they worked fine up until I casted a summon VIII earth elemental.

5. Jo

Jo Member

If you cast dominate person on Falrinth and bring him permanently into your party, his magic missiles do too much damage. He shoots five of them, and it looks like they're operating properly. Smallish blue numbers appear on the screen, as normal. Three, two, four, whatever, etc. But the creature targeted actually takes over 90 points of damage, it seems. It acts as an insta-kill for most things.

6. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

I'm still a bit behind on the version - only 7.9- so if this issue has been dealt with, please ignore.

When using Summon monster IV and you select a Fire Mephit to appear, once it dies it explodes in a huge fireball. This is an effect that gets only mentioned in 2nd ed. AD&D, and there it's only 4 hp in a radius of 10'. What we get is a full-fledged -at least- 4D6 explosion with a radius bigger as a fireball. In fact, the animation I see is more akin to the fire-node guardian demon his death.

While it does have its uses, as far as I know, it's still a glitch...

7. Groo the Ambler

Groo the Ambler Loot the Rot Grubs

The Magma Mephit is the neutron bomb of TOEE.

For example, while playing 8.0.1 NC, my party approached the bandit group in Temple Dungeon Level 2, between the Air Temple area and the Minotaur Room. As the sentry ran back to alert the bandits, my 8th level cleric summoned a Magma Mephit in the corridor outside their room. Then my wizard followed up with Ice Storm, which immediately killed and detonated the mephit. The blast passed through the walls and killed every bandit except one, and took out half of the Air Temple's kitchen staff, too. It also lightly toasted my fighter, who was a little too close to ground zero.

I refined the technique a little when fighting the big roomful of Greater Temple Bugbears in the top corner of the same map. My invisible thief acted as artillery spotter. From the outside corridor, cleric casts MM, wizard casts Ice Storm, then a second cleric summoned another MM into the Ice Storm. Blam, blam. All but six of them were killed where they stood, including two of the three in the adjacent chief's room.

I don't recall this from earlier patches, but I'm having fun with it at the moment.

8. BenWH

BenWH BGPHughes

I'd love to see Vampyric touch fixed, as it's the only mid level necromancy spell worth having (usually).

9. hellblazer

hellblazer Established Member

Check out this thread http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1060
    There is a python script there that isn't perfect but it works. Unlike other touch spells, you cast it directly on the person in 5' with short or 10' with reach weapon. It uses dex for the touch attack. Afterwards, you will notice that the discharge spell icon will appear on the radial menu. Ignore it if you want it raw because you already cast the spell. If you do otherwise and you hit then it will do damage but it will wipe out your temp hitpoints like vanilla. I was messing with it two years ago but lost that data.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2014
  10. tomthefighter

tomthefighter Errr......

Got a bard that uses up 2 spells whenever she miscasts. Both first and second level spells.

6th level bard / 6th level fighter

11. mastergradius

mastergradius Member

i cast web and some of my pcs got trapped in it. after the battle was over, some of my characters remained webbed and despite resting for 20 days, remained webbed. this made future battles xtra difficult as some of my characters could not move and spellcasting was affected too. i tried having my mage discontinue the spell to no avail.

12. hellblazer

hellblazer Established Member

Sounds like the spell permanency bug. The druid in homlett can remove it. Of course, you would have to get there or use the console to teleport.

Our Host!