Experiencing terrible bug with Extraplanar Chest

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by JamesTheScot, Apr 11, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. JamesTheScot

JamesTheScot Member

Every time I use the extraplanar chest (not the spell, but the one that you loot), the gem throne from the Temple appears nearby. And it does not go away, even if I exit and reboot.

I have the gem hoard in the chest's inventory and if I try to move it, drop it or sell it, i CTD.

I assume the two are related in some way.

At this point I am littering the world with multiple gem thrones that just sit there like speed bumps.

I now have to use dimension door to access my safe house in Nulb because there is a gem throne that appeared and is blocking the walkway up to the door.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Do you have an old save from before this started happening?

3. JamesTheScot

JamesTheScot Member

Maybe, but I'm so far past that encounter I hate to go back and redo it.

I have the spell, so I am thinking about dumping the corrupted chest and trying the spell version.

4. Kneller1

Kneller1 Established Member

I have encountered this aswell. Though instead of CTD I just get the inventory screen closing and the chest dissapering. If I try to call it again it says fail and then a failsafe kicking in. It then regenerates the hoard inside the chest. Good thing the hoard of gems stack as I can repeat this.

5. Corwyn

Corwyn Gnoll Pincushion

The gemstones are cursed, dontcha know. At least they were in the PnP game. Each gem (were there 666 total) was attuned to a Demon (Type I-IV and babau), who would be summoned and attack the offending gem-toucher. "Possessors gain demonic attention at a time they least desire it."
    Be grateful -- Maybe your Extraplanar Chest is interfering with a demon's attempted gate ....

6. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Are you using the 8.0.1 patch? I'm pretty sure it
    was fixed

7. Zoltec

Zoltec Pгōdigium

Nice to know that. So this is just another excuse for the bug eh? :)

8. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

I got this too, though it otherwise didn't affect my game. I guess the thing is to add the gems to the list of things not to put in your EPC.

9. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Looks like the fix wasn't rolled into the patch / mod, here's the fix file attached. (put the file in your [ToEE]\data\scr folder, overwriting the old one)

Attached Files:

10. Corwyn

Corwyn Gnoll Pincushion

I think the demons would be quite upset with being characterized as mere 'bugs' ....

11. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I would love to see a mod that makes a demon gate in when you attempt to access the gems once you've left the temple. MWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!

Our Host!