Magic Weapon shop

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by rpgguy, Nov 3, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. rpgguy

rpgguy Member

Good weapons shop?

So I am in verbobonc ( patch 8.0.1 ) for the 1st time. Just bought boatload of wondrous items with about half of my gold and I was wondering , where can I buy some magical weapons? do I have to craft these myself or is there a shop somewhere?

Am I doomed to use a masterwork handaxe as my offhand forever? :p

Last edited: Nov 3, 2013
  2. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

Re: Good weapons shop?

There are no magical handaxes in the Co8 Modpack New Content Edition, so you will need to craft one.

See my signature for the game guide to the Circle of Eight Modpack New Content Edition.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2013
  3. rpgguy

rpgguy Member

Posted this in the wrong place before...

So my question is, is there a magical weapon shop in the game for buying good quality weapons or do I have to craft them?
    I know there are 2 shops in verbobonc for wonderous items ( great gold sink ) so you dont really have to craft any wonderous items ( or scrolls/wands/staves/rings ) but the craft armor and weapons seem to be mandatory?

4. rpgguy

rpgguy Member

Re: Good weapons shop?

Oh sorry... hopefully I posted this on the right place now.
    Anyways thanks but I already know about great cleaver and I use it as a main hand - I specified that I need an offhand and a great cleaver is not small... ( -2 to all attacks is too much of a loss )

5. BenWH

BenWH BGPHughes

I don't think there is one. Could use one though. Nowadays a feel a bit of a cheat crafting stuff as it is so easy!

6. psiekier

psiekier Member

There's no shop exclusively for magic weapons per se, but some NPC's will barter away magic weapons, or you can take them during equipment reassignment or loot them from their corpses if they die.

For example, Elmo has a magic axe, shield, armour, and dagger. If you get him to join your group early on, you might want to give that dagger to another fighter in your party in case you face monsters that can only be hurt by magic weapons.

There are some NPC's in the Boatman's Tavern in Nulb who will barter with you and, amongst other things, they have a few magic weapons for sale.

Also, once you get to a decent level - somewhere between 3rd and 6th, I think, you might come across a random encounter on your way across the wilderness with another adventuring party - I always thought they were supposed to be the ones pictured in the artwork on the original First Edition AD&D books. You can always kill them and take their goodies.

7. rpgguy

rpgguy Member

Thanks but I already got these options covered, I still find it weird that in a huge city as verbobonc you can find 2 huge wondrous item shops + a wand shop and a scroll shop but no-one sells a basic thing like a hand-axe +1 or a studded leather armor +1 :thumbsdow

Guess crafting arms and weapons is a must have feat...

8. oudeis

oudeis Member

@rpgguy: Our questions seemed related so I thought it better to fold my issue into yours than create another (superfluous) thread. Apologies if I'm piggybacking/hijacking yours.

In regards to crafted weapons, how would you go about creating something equivalent in protos.tab? I believe I understand how to add the basic damage types but I have no idea how to add burst damage. I ask because I'd like to create a bunch of custom weapons and armor and then add them to the lists of possible inventory items for certain vendors for purchase. This leads to my next question, which file controls vendor inventory? I've checked all the .mes files and quite a few of the scripts and I either haven't found the relevant document or I didn't recognize it when I saw it. Here are some of the things I'd like to add to the item pool:
    • A great mace that uses an enlarged version of the light mace. It's this big gothic-looking thing that's almost identical to the one Sauron wielded in the FotR movie. Badass.
    • Atlatl: I shrunk a small quarterstaff, gave it crossbow properties and created a version of the bolt quiver with a javelin inventory icon. I'd love to run into some goblins or lizardmen using these.
    • A grosse messer : a scaled-up cutlass- not quite historical but strongly resembiling a two-handed saber with knucklebow I saw once.
    • Various versions of great- and bastard- swords that I'd like my characters to be able to pick up instead of giving to them by altering the look of the weapons that they legitimately got.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2013
  9. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

"Nowadays a feel a bit of a cheat crafting stuff as it is so easy! "

This isn't intended as a criticism, so please don't take it that way, but I find this a very strange thing to say (apologies!). By the time I arrive in Verbobonc I have access to so much money that the only resource that I am reluctant to spend is XP. I can usually afford to buy the castle straight off (and indeed am only really interested in it for the quests and thus XP awards that it makes available!). I think last time I landed in Verbo I had about 200k cash plus an extraplanar chest full of stuff (scather, the frostblade, the holy spiked chain, the flametongue sword) that were probably worth half as much again. I'd be much happier paying full price for magic items than have to spend XP on them, since there's so much money around and you can't buy levels with anything other than XP. I suppose the fact that you get to choose exactly what you want to craft and when, rather than having to 'win' your items by either killing the enemy who first gets a go at using them against you or by 'winning through' to a vendor who offers new and exciting goodies makes it seem easier, but the fact that you always have access to previous vendors means that there's never any 'last chance to buy..' in this game like there is in things like Icewind Dale. I think that the Dragonsbane archery supplies place sells some interesting things like holy and flaming xbows (through by that stage anyone on my party who uses an xbow is more likely to be casting spells in a battle...).
    I suppose that crafting does take a bit of the excitement out of things, as the weapons you can find either for sale or as loot are rarely better than what you can make yourself- by the time I kill the slavers (who are just about the only people to use weapons with additional damage dice against you), I find their weapons a bit underwhelming as loot. That frosted longbow that can take out your wizard in a round if you aren't careful? nice, but it isn't composite, and I already have a holy/flaming one that is...Perhaps some new weapons with characteristics that aren't available to craft would be nice- returning thrown weapons would be good, or arrows of slaying, or a dancing weapon...

10. gazra_1971

oudeis, I believe that you can create new items using Agetian's superb ToEE World Builder application which you can download from the following link (if you haven't already):

http://www.co8.org/forum/showpost.php?p=25776&postcount=1

You will need to copy the following 3 files from your game folder to your ToEE World Builder folder in order for ToEE World Builder to function:

\data\mes\description.mes

\data\mes\long_description.mes

\data\rules\protos.tab

If you create any new items and then save your work, then you will need to copy the above 3 files from your ToEE World Builder folder to their respective subdirectories in your game folder in order to be able to use your new items in the game. I strongly advise that you make backup copies of the above 3 original files before you begin modifiying them (in case anything goes wrong!)!

All of the game's objects (i.e. weapons, armour, wondrous items, potions, scrolls, NPCs, monsters, etc.) are listed in the following file:

\data\mes\description.mes

Projectiles are proto numbers 3000 - 3999

Weapons are proto numbers 4000 - 4999

Ammo are proto numbers 5000 - 5999

All of the long descriptions (i.e. the text that you can see and read when you SHIFT-click an item for more information about the item) are in the following file:

\data\mes\long_description.mes

All of the different possible types of NPC vendors are in the following file:

\rules\InvenSourceBuy.mes

which contains the following information:

All of the NPC vendors in the game and exactly what they sell and the percentage chance of each item that they may have for sale is in the following file:

\rules\InvenSource.mes

For example, below is the vendor Fireforge's items for sale (taken from InvenSource.mes):
    The 7 in buy_list_num,7 indicates that you get the most money selling metal armor and weapons to Fireforge and that you get the least money selling any other type of item to Fireforge.
    The first number before the comma in 50,6122 is the percentage chance that Fireforge has this item for sale (in this case, a 50% chance). The number after the comma in 50,6122 is the item's proto number. If we look up proto number 6122 in description.mes, then we see that the item is:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  11. rpgguy

rpgguy Member

Oh? where/how can I find this Fireforge NPC?

12. gazra_1971

The following information is from the game guide & walkthrough sticky thread:

Once Fireforge has moved from upstairs in the Inn of the Welcome Wench in Hommlet to Verbobonc, Fireforge spends the rest of the game at number 10 in the map below:

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

13. oudeis

oudeis Member

@gazra_1971

Thanks for the pointers. I actually installed the World Builder a couple weeks ago and have been using it to search and compare various items and properties when I started making my modified weapons. I also looked through invensource.mes when I was trying to find a way to put them in game but didn't understand what I was reading. With your help I can hopefully insert my creations organically. I still have so many unanswered questions and so many ideas I want to implement that I'll have to put them all in a new thread, with everything broken into categories and put in separate posts. I'm not trying to create anything new, really, just customize ToEE my way, so should I put everything here or in the General Modding forum?

Our Host!