Why not combine Co8 and Liv's mod, as well as all the current patch files?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by lexb123, May 25, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. lexb123

lexb123 Member

Can anyone make one install that would apply patch 1, 2, Co8 and Liv’s patch? And install them properly? This will stop all the questions of users asking how to install patches and in what order.
    Or at least combine the Co8 patch and Liv’s work. Just seems to me like a lot less hassle…

2. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Atari patches will have to be kept seperate but re. Liv's mod and Co8, I think that is the eventual plan from what I've read in discussions on the mod board. Once Livonya declares herself happy with her mod (ie it is no longer beta), then I'm sure this will be done.

BTW Atari patch 1 is not needed if you have Atari patch 2. Morpheus' thread is a good start to patching, which is why we bump it so much ;)

3. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

is the Arena of Heros going to be combined with Livs mod?

4. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

According to the mod forum, eventually yes.

5. lexb123

lexb123 Member

Oh wow!

That’s awesome, I can't wait for them to be combined!

Btw I think patch 1 is needed.

So far I found it fixes a few things.

1. The thief in town… The one you play dice or cards against. If you’re doing the quest for the inn keeper, and accidentally exit the conversation. That’s it, and the quest is botched. With the patch, you can try again.

2. When you cast certain spells, your game crashes to desktop. With the patch, it does not.

To test this out, I only installed the first patch and no mods, and just the reduction in crashes alone makes this worth it.

6. LocutusX

LocutusX Member

wait, so you are saying that with Atari patch 1 + Atari patch 2 + various fan-fixes you get LESS crashes/bugs than Atari patch 2 + various fan-fixes?

interesting... never heard anyone mention that before.

7. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

There seems to be some contention over that point here. Some people say you do not need patch one if you have patch two. Others say the game will not run for them unless they have installed patch one, whether or not they have installed patch two. Either way, it probably can't hurt to install both.

8. lexb123

lexb123 Member

Yeah

Yep Loc, thats what I'm saying. A lot less actually. Same with my friend that just bought the game for a whopping $5.99, lol.

We both have Win XP Pro, but I doubt that has anything to do with it. But If I do not install patch 1 I can reproduce the crashes on both systems.
    To be safe just install em both.

9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Well enough contention then, I would say we have proof. Well done lexb <gives him cookie>

We also have precedent, in that patch 3 certainly doesn't have the previous stuff in it, so y would we think patch 2 does.

10. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Don't eat it, it's got rabies.

11. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Ah, but 2 does have 1's content, straight from the mouth of Troika's own Steve Moret, who made the patch . . . and said that with it, you don't need patch 1.

My guess is that something else is goofy. The Atari 1, Co8 3.0.4, moebius recommendation is well-tested and longstanding. I'd say lets not fiddle with it. Can you imagine the new installation queries that will flood the board if we do?

12. lexb123

lexb123 Member

Nooooooo

Ugh... cookie posioned... muscles tensing... eyes closing... shoulda listened to Cujo... must end life in classic Lorne Greene pose from Battlestar Galactica. Best ... death ... ever!

Hehe. As a side note, why is patch 1 bigger then patch 2 if it has all the content? Why does it have more files? Well, anyway I will not mess with my install anymore. I like the patch 1 + 2 + fixes deal.

Update: We just tested the game by installing it on another system. On all 3 systems, if Patch 1 is not installed there are some things that do not work. Although we had to play around with the third system for quite a while, casting certain spells in combat always crashed the game. Loading the same save (the one where we got it to crash), but patched and casting the spell no longer caused a crash. So if you are getting a lot of crashes, install (in the following order):

Patch 1
    Patch 2
    Co8
    Liv's

Tada = Awesome game.

Last edited: May 26, 2005
  13. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I only poison certain cookies <looks pointedly at the Crusader supporters>

Well, far be it for me to contradict Smoret (u just know whats gonnna follow, don'tcha...?)

BUT

Orion has demonstrated he is working from memory which aint quite what it should be, and if patch 1 is bigger than 2, and if 1 & 2 works better but 2 sans 1 is buggier... well, why WOULDN'T u do 1 & 2?

My attitude is do both, u have nothing to lose. (Well assuming 2 works with 1 installed, which perhaps we shouldn't given Troika's record... nah, lets not go there ;-)

14. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

Hm... I might have to change my installation recommendations then. Well, one of these days someone should do a file analysis and check the stuff that is installed by patch 1 & 2 respectively.

15. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

I must be...

...the only Mutha here playing Atari 3 + Co8 3.0.4 + Moebius temple.dll...

Heh...guess I'm the most adventurous!

<ducks out swiftly to avoid crumbly shurikens of rabies infested death>

Our Host!