Wondrous Item Functions not as...

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Prologue, Oct 23, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. Prologue

Prologue Member

I'm starting a list of Wondrous Item that don't function as described, or as the pen and paper (PnP) game. I'll try to keep an alphabetical list in the first post. Any moderator, feel free to edit too.

Item's name: details (source)

Functions not as Described
    Bracers of Archery, Lesser: someone proficient gets the bonus, but someone not proficient gains neither proficiency nor bonus

Brooch of Shielding -- This stupid item should actually only absorb magic missiles and only 101 points of damage after which it is destroyed. Crap.

Cloak of Displacement, Minor: (zugschef in "Top 15 annoyances in ToEE ")

Druid's Vestment -- This should provide one additional use of the wildshape ability and not the totally useless (worse than brown and polar bear) hill giant form. This makes it still mostly useless, of course. (zugschef)

Horn of Goodness: Since Magic Circle Against Evil doesn't work in the first place...

Monk's Belt: usable only by monks (zugschef in "Top 15 annoyances in ToEE ")

Necklace of Adaptation: Useless. (gazra_1971 in "Game Guide & Walkthrough [...]") I'll add that a Druid's poison immunity is also useless against Cloudkill.

Prayer Beads, Karma: Useless. Does not appear in radial menu, does not have an effect, and it's a reward for saving Thrommel.

Vest of Escape -- Who decided that this item should provide freedom of movement? It's the first thing i create for any character who doesn't wear a belt of giant strength. (zugschef)

Functions not as PnP

Bag of Tricks: It functions once per day and summons decent animals (relative to PnP). In four tries, I got a medium spider, a black bear, a brown bear and a jackal.

Helm of Telepathy: Allows wearer to cast Hold Person once per day.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  2. zugschef

zugschef Established Member

Very good idea to start this thread! :)

Brooch of Shielding -- This stupid item should actually only absorb magic missiles and only 101 points of damage after which it is destroyed. Crap.

Vest of Escape -- Who decided that this item should provide freedom of movement? It's the first thing i create for any character who doesn't wear a belt of giant strength. *

Druid's Vestment -- This should provide one additional use of the wildshape ability and not the totally useless (worse than brown and polar bear) hill giant form. This makes it still mostly useless, of course.

* Btw, there is a related mistake in the game: Vests and belts take up the same slot.

3. Prologue

Prologue Member

Thanks. And good idea to add links.

The Brooch of Shielding doesn't break? Doesn't absorb Magic Missiles? Or is it just that no NPC uses Magic Missiles?

Thieves' Tools also takes the same spot as belts. I keep forgetting to change before Disabling Device.

Also Freedom of Movement works? Lareth's Ring of Freedom of Movement has never done anything to my PCs going on Webs or Grease. I guess they used Freedom of Movement since Escape Artist does not exist.

4. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I recently used Lareth's ring of FoM and it worked for me when I got webbed, my character still had the webbed animation and icon, but he suffered no movement penalty.

I haven't tried the VoE yet.

5. HeJason

HeJason JK2 Deity

Kind of off subject, speaking of Lareth, what version did they remove the lareth club/magic weapon bug?

6. Prologue

Prologue Member

Prayer Beads, Karma: Useless. Does not appear in radial menu, does not have an effect, and it's a reward for saving Thrommel.

7. sirchet

But yet if you create your own Necklace of Prayer Beads, it will show up and allow you to cast bless with it.

8. Prologue

Prologue Member

Karma beads don't show up in my Craft menu, although others do. Blessing Beads are the ones suposed to cast Bless. Karma Beads are supposed to increase divine caster level by 4 according to in game description, and caster level +4 according to SRD.

9. sirchet

My bad, I stand corrected.

I was thinking of Beads of Blessing. :)

Our Host!