Circle of Eight Modpack v8 Final General Commentary & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Pygmy, Sep 16, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. Prologue

Prologue Member

I also couldn't use metamagics in 7.9. It was one of the first things I tried out in 8.0, and it worked properly for me. Are you fully updated?

On another note, I have a bug to report. I went to get the rewards for saving Prince Thrommel and Countess Tillahi, and Meleny had platinum added directly on the left pane of her inventory where it's unusable (see screenshot). When I have her Craft stuff, she takes the coins from the PC's pool, not her own. Sirchet wrote that it's a UI bug.

Also, how do you take screenshots without it being a .tga file and overwriting the previous screenshot? I just realised I don't have any of the screenshots I took...

Attached Files:

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

You can press print screen to take the shot, (actually places the image on the clipboard) and then alt/tab out of the game and Open Paint, place the cursor over the blank paint image and press Control V to paste the image on the paint blank, then name it whatever you like.

By taking shots this way you can also choose where to save the picture to.

3. Core

Core Member

Re: Circle of Eight Modpack v8 Bugs...

3 Types of Graphics Bugs in Pre-Game screens:

Attached Files:

4. Prologue

Prologue Member

Turns out taking a screenshot doesn't override the previous one. I had forgotten that I had needed to reset the mod (somehow the game wouldn't start). I guess my previous screens got erased that way. Good thing all I had in my Chests were unmagical loot, though sadly, my Verbobonc Shield taken from an immortal soldier at the Welkwood Bog was in one :sadblinky

Speaking of screens, Crystal Ooze's ability damage is not defined or something.

Attached Files:

5. Jo

Jo Member

8.0.1 isn't showing up as an option for me after downloading it and following the directions. I downloaded the New Content file (and the standard file) and put it in the proper directory.

(My earlier version was 6.1.0 - NC)

After doing this, I started Front End, as normal, except 8.0.1 isn't there as an option to be loaded or activated. Clicking on "add-ons" doesn't do anything either: there are no add-ons for this module is roughly the message I get.

Then I noticed there was what I believe is a newer Front End, so I downloaded it and extracted it into the game directory. But still there was no change.

Curiously, am I missing something obvious? I apologize, but I'm somewhat illiterate when it comes to computers. I'd greatly appreciate any help someone could throw my way.

Currently, in my game directory, there is an add-on folder with 8.0.1 stuff in it. There is also what appears to be doc_Co8 files, one for New Content, and one for Standard. However, there doesn't appear to be any 8.0.1 modpack files like there is for 6.1.0 (jpeg, tfm, tfs, txt).

Again, I apologize. I just don't know what I'm doing wrong or missing.

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

After you download the mod installer, you have to run it. :) Double click it and follow the instructions, then it should appear in the front end. Then you have to activate it. Then you should click add-ons and activate the 8.0.1 patch. It'll all take a while, but you'll be good to go after that.

7. Jo

Jo Member

Gaear, thank you. I just realized that I did run the download, but that I only downloaded the patch, not the actual 8.0.0. Just the 8.0.1. Downloading and running 8.0.0 will probably make all the difference.

I'm basically an idiot. Thanks for bearing with me. Temple of Elemental Evil is my all-time favorite game ever, and I love so much everything you folks have done with it.

8. Forgalz

Forgalz Established Member

Ploughing ahead in NC 8.0.1 now. I can report three observations of suspicious behavior:

- In the Rannos & Gremag fight I hit the fat one in the first round for a lot of damage. He gave his "it should not end like this" speech, the combat interrupted and restarted with messed up initiative order. He would then repeat his speech each round on his turn, interrupt combat etc. Sometimes I didn't get to act at all, took me like five speeches to finally take him down. The other guy then disappeared more or less normally.

- When I found Raina in the Nulb brothel with Serena in tow, I seem to remember that 7.9 let me, after the sisters recognize each other, enter a dialog where she explained about the debt and I could offer to solve the problem. Now - nothing. I have to say "I will now force myself on you" which seems rather inappropriate (generally, and specifically with her sister standing behind me) before she talks about the debt.

- Searing Light seems to be broken, don't know whether this is new or I just never noticed earlier. Anyway, in the AoH fight my 6 lvl cleric did repeatedly only 3d6 damage against undead wizards and lacedons, as shown in the rolls window. Should be 1d6 per level against normal undead, i.e. 6d6, both according to the in-game description and http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/searingLight.htm

9. Prologue

Prologue Member

I seem to remember something like that happening to me in Arena of Heroes too! And the Wand of Fireballs 5th level rolled 2d6 for me earlier (got a screen of the damage details if anyone wants me to upload it).

About Metamagics

My Sorc took Empowered Spell at level 9 and added Empowered Magic Missile and Empowered Ray of Enfeeblement to her list. She just reached level 10. In her list of spells known, Magic Missile and Ray of Enfeeblement are there twice. If I choose to replace the second exemplary, the spell is gone completely. If I choose to replace the first exemplary, she can still cast the Empowered level 3 spell, and after that if I remove the Metamagic, the spell is gone completely.

And also, Empowering Ray of Enfeeblement does nothing. The range is still from 6 to 11 (at level 10). There goes the reason I took Empower instead of Maximize :(

About Tripping

On my attempts at tripping, enemies will sometimes roll more than they possibly could, according to the bonus in their attempt to trip back. Example, Grank has a total bonus of +2, but he got a result of 23 against my attempt to trip him

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  10. Zurbic

Zurbic Member

I just installed Co8 Modpack V8.0.0. I am unable to activate it. I get the message "IO Exception when determining the size of package: invalid CEN header (bad signature)" I am not very computer savvy but find this expansion of the game to be very appealing. What do I need to do to get this thing working? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

11. zugschef

zugschef Established Member

That's exactly the problem I've had. There's a thread about that:
    http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=10729

The Nulb brothel quest-line is borked in general. You choose which problem to solve first, after doing that you go back for the next and the game assumes that you solved both.

12. Forgalz

Forgalz Established Member

Since that thread mentions the Tolub fight, I now remember that I also had a problem with this one. I fought him with a monk and with 70 nonlethal damage, Tolub dropped unconscious and wouldn't talk. So I got to loot him which was very welcome. Then I revived him by casting Cure Minor Wounds on him, he offered the fight again, and the second time around it ended correctly, with him talking and giving me my prize money, and the quest finished.

13. phlippy g

phlippy g Member

Had something happen during the hostel fight in nulb. The thief was unsuccessful and caught. After combat I seemed to be caught in a loop. With an invisible serving girl initiating combat. I started hitting the spacebar, and combat would stop. Then the loop would start again. I then started attacking her. While still subject to the loop. When I killed her the looping stopped, and I could loot her still invisible body.

14. Jo

Jo Member

I've been having some crash problems, most of which seem typical. But one constant was after I picked up Jaer from the Node. I couldn't use the temple map to travel while on the fourth level of the dungeon, and after depositing him in Nulb, I couldn't travel the World Map without crashing. Instead, I took him to Hommlet, but he reacted as if I were leaving him somewhere unsafe, like in the Node. Shrug, I don't know what's up with that.

More annoying for me, my lead character keeps getting stuck in combat. The cycle doesn't continue; she stays highlighted, but she's out of actions. Often I've been able to force it to move forward by trying to have her use a potion from her inventory, by right clicking on her portrait. But, or so it seems, if the next person in the queue is dead then it doesn't work.

My lead character is using Scather. I hope that's not the problem because I'd hate to have to change her weapon of choice. Any thoughts on what's wrong, or what I might be able to do to navigate the problem? Maybe, for instance, I'm using a spell effect that's causing the glitch.

15. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Jo
    If you are fighting the Balor Guardian in the Fire Node, then Scather is definitely the reason why your fighter is stuck in combat. Basically the way it works is this: The Balor hits your fighter, doing some damage, thereby causing Scather to automatically hit the Balor. Unfortunately, hitting the Balor causes some Fire Damage to your fighter (according to the rules, any melee hit on a Balor causes some fire damage to the attacker), thereby triggering another automatic attack from Scather, and on, and on, and on....... . If such is the case, your only solution is to attack the Balor with something other than Scather.
    The Royal Canadian

Our Host!