Oddities observed in my 8.0.0/1 playthrough

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Metathiax, Oct 27, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. Metathiax

Metathiax Member

Just for the heck of it, I'm listing some observations made during my playthrough of the current new content modpack which might or might not be bugs of the older or newer kind. Apologies if some of them have already been reported.

In no particular order :

- Eyeglasses tend to disappear from inventory.
    - Most cutscene videos do not play anymore.
    - Character sometimes could not move upon loading a game but would get unstuck by sneaking.
    - Patched the game from 8.0.0 to 8.0.1 near the end of the Temple. Made sure to empty my extraplanar chest beforehand. Did not notice any major problems but the patch did appear to mess with the NWN portrait pack I was using. The issue was resolved by re-installing the portrait pack.
    - Two-weapon defense does not provide +2 to AC while fighting defensively as it is supposed to although it does so while using total defense.
    - I could only get Manyshot to work when selecting the Single Attack option.
    - In one instance, Lareth failed to get spiders to his aid even after having summoned Lolth for help.
    - In one instance, an used smokestick turned into an alchemical vial which could not be removed from my inventory.
    - During the What Lies Beneath quest, I got into trouble after having charmed Rakham (although it works fine for Boroquin). My game consistently crashed at the end of the spell's duration. I had to knock him out to work around this problem.
    - Stinking Cloud appears to be overpowered. I've even managed to sicken Iuz, Zuggtmoy, and the Balor. Almost nothing appears to be immune.
    - When using the new ToEE map to travel (very useful btw), the 2nd level would not be consistently offered as a destination.
    - In one instance, one of my game saves got corrupted as I was conjuring the extraplanar chest in Verbobonc.
    - Apparently, larger shields can be equipped in replacement of a buckler when wielding two weapons although one of my game saves got corrupted soon after (might or might not be related).
    - I would not get a masterwork repeating crossbow from Jinnerth by completing the Unhappy Tailor quest.
    - In one instance during the Black Jay's Dead Sheep quest, Corl was standing outside Jay's cabin while his father was declaring him dead.
    - My game consistently crashed upon opening the Banshee chest on the 3rd level of the Temple. I used Knock on the chest to work around the problem.
    - Keoghtom's Ointment disappears in the extraplanar chest, probably because it is considered to be a charged item.
    - A character wielding Scather (probably also Fragarach) can reply with AoOs even when prone.

- Not a bug but a little trick to make the brawl against Tolub much easier, simply Enlarge your chosen character and have him move 5 ft every round to exploit your increased reach. You will limit Tolub to one attack but you will get your full attacks.

- Useful info missing from Walkthrough section 2.18 : Black elven chain (very powerful) can sometimes be purchased from the 7 Elven shop.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  2. Zagig

Zagig Member

I've noticed the disappearing eyeglasses before too. Then, while entering the Traders one time, I saw some script that I couldn't read fast enough. I reloaded my game and repeated this a few times and discovered that my eyeglasses were dropping and breaking while entering the Traders. Why? I have no idea.

3. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

I just checked my Player's Handbook 3.5, and that feat is indeed meant to provide a +2 bonus to AC while Fighting Defensively.

Well, using that feat is a standard action, so you would have to select Single Attack in order to make your Manyshot attack a standard action, so the feat is working as intended.

I'm sure that (Circle of Eight forum members) The Royal Canadian and Sitra Achara would agree with you there. Personally, I think that Charm Person and Charm Monster and Haste are overpowered because the first 2 spells work similar to Dominate Person and Dominate Monster respectively, and there is a ridiculous exploit with the Haste spell that turns any combat into a farcical situation!

I seem to be the only player who was able to receive that reward for completing that quest. I distinctly recall 2 other forum members stating that they also did not receive that reward for completing that quest.

Thank you for pointing this out to me, Metathiax. The game guide now has the correct items for sale at the 7 Elven shop.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  4. Forgalz

Forgalz Established Member

I got it everytime so far.

5. Zalmoxes

Zalmoxes Forest Guardian

In order to receive the reward from Jinnerth, I believe you have to "bully" the militia captain into accepting him in, either by Intimidation or Bluffing. Basicaly, he has to be admited without having to saw the uniforms.

6. Metathiax

Metathiax Member

Thank you for the game guide, it is an awesome resource.

7. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

Just hire Elmo first, the go see the captain about the tailor.

8. Prologue

Prologue Member

I had that casted on my monk (on top of mage armor, shield of faith, barkskin and bless). Tolub would surprisingly 5-step too and full attack me.

9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

The eyeglasses will break if you get the merchant's scale, to stop them stacking. The business with this firing in the trader's shop was fixed in the last patch.

10. Metathiax

Metathiax Member

- Another oddity, ever since my high level dual wielding ranger obtained 6 attacks per round (4 on-hand + 2 off-hand attacks), he has been granting AoOs to his opponents on his 6th attack (or 7th attack when hasted).

- Another tidbit, the Chain Lightning spell is missing from the Sorcerer's and Wizard's 6th level spells listing in the in-game help files.

11. Metathiax

Metathiax Member

I've started the fight from a sufficient distance and it worked for me.

12. Forgalz

Forgalz Established Member

My Spugnoir just reached lvl 8, and I noticed that he has 32 Dex now. I had been wondering for a while where his high attack bonus and armor class came from. Does anybody have an idea how this could have happened?

Regarding the merchant's scale, I use it together with the eyeglasses and they seem to stack. Nothing broke so far. I also don't see why they wouldn't stack, since those are circumstance boni from essentially different sources, no?

13. Metathiax

Metathiax Member

The Control Plants spell is also missing from the Ranger's 3rd level spells listing in the in-game help files.

14. Prologue

Prologue Member

I don't know what the trigger is, but it happened to my evoker in 7.9. Her DEX kept increasing for whatever reason. She became near untouchable and I had her charge at things with Fraragach xD

15. Metathiax

Metathiax Member

Interestingly enough, if you use Armor Oil on an armor with an ACP of 0 (such as the Mithral Shirt) you appear to get a +1 bonus to Armor Checks instead of a penalty.

Our Host!