Resting in the moathouse

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Zagig, Oct 8, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. Zagig

Zagig Member

Okay, this is gonna be a silly question considering I've played this game on and off for a long time. However, I have never in that time found a really safe area to rest in the moathouse. The party I'm running right now is in the moathouse and have defeated Lareth. I need to rest before confronting Turuko, Kobort and Zert and their flunkies. Can anyone tell me a realy safe resting spot in the moathouse?

2. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Well, if you can get across the court yard without starting a fight...

3. Zagig

Zagig Member

Nope, I get ambushed in the courtyard as well.

4. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I've actually rested in pretty boy's office a few times, but it's hit and miss.

I get ambushed by spiders as often as not.

5. oudeis

oudeis Member

I think I've been able to rest in the crypt upstairs but I'm not certain. Have you tried going into the rooms off the main hall on the ground floor and closing the doors? Again, I can't recall for certain if that worked.

6. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

You CAN rest anywhere in the Moathouse- but expect to be interrupted so save before resting...

7. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

There isn't any particular safe spot WRT chance of sleep encounter. The best you can do is back your party up against a wall for tactical advantage. (or just save and load of course...)

8. blakdeth

blakdeth Member

I have better luck resing in the large barracks are outside Lareth's office.
    You almost always get interrupted, and I like having more room to maneuver the spellcasters out of harm's way when attacked.

9. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

iirc, wandering monsters always spawn around your party leader (first portrait on the left at the bottom of the screen), so you can position the party in two groups depending on who you want to keep safe.

10. Zagig

Zagig Member

Resting in Lareth's room didn't work as I was always interrupted by giant lizards. I tried the small rooms by the stairs, but was always interrupted by giant rats. So, I tried resting in the entry room before the corridor leading to Lareth's area with the two doors closed. Lo and behold!! No encounter at all!! Easily kicked on the ambushers!! Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I tried that area because I now remember resting there in previous play-throughs and not getting attacked.

11. tom

tom Established Member

I make sure that my spell casters have the scribe scroll feat and lay in a stock of the important spells. That way you allays have something to fall back on if you get jumped by an unexpected encounter.

12. Forgalz

Forgalz Established Member

Do the random encounters depend on location? I've always had much better luck with resting in the gnoll room than, say, Lareth's office. In the former I seem to get 2-3 easy encounters before I can sleep through, in the latter there seems to be an endless stream of relatively annoying creatures checking in.

13. andysks

andysks Member

As you enter to the right where the snake is, I rested without problem on my last playthrough. Could be just luck though...

14. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

As per what Sitra just told you, location has nothing to do with it. Its the luck of the dice whether you get an encounter.

15. twisty

twisty Morose Marauder

You probably know this and I'm probably stating the obvious but you can sleep safely in the tower next to the courtyard. I usually go straight there after the bullfrogs if I've got enough hp left to safely mince the spider.

Our Host!