Random Encounters [mod]

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Gatts, Feb 22, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gatts

Gatts Member

I have finished all possible quest (well, sort of) of ToEE + Co8 7.6 (great mod), I was not so interested in Desp. Housw. but much more I would like now modify my ToEE in the manner of D&D fight FUN. Meaning that I just want create new parties, and test them in battle (more question of fun+time killing than real test), but I kinda knock myself against somehow unproportianal random encounter (i.e. I am in the wilderness, like moat or deklo grow and rest) I am first level and I encounter 2 giant clayfish, when I am on level 3 : 2 trolls, but when I am on level 14, I encounter 11 giant rats or 4 lizardmen (not only it is NO FUN, but it also gives KEINE XP) well... so here is my question: where/how I can edit the table (and where I have to place it so it be active in game)
    I have riewed the topic "known files" nothing found, but when I decompressed .dat files I have found one file that has something in it like random encouter (but I don't know if that's encounter you meet only while traveling, or even if you sleep)

Is there any help out there for me? ;) Please

Edit:
    what I would like to encounter:
    level 1~3, giant rats and similar
    4~9: pirates, clay fish, brigants..
    10~14: trolls, giants (bugbears, greater bugbears)
    15~20: undead priests, wizards, 10 hill giants, 20lvl barbarians with +3 weapons... (well maybe dragons ?)
    that table above is just from top of my head, nothing specific... I just want it be proportianal, so my parties won't die the first fights 9 times from 10 tries

2. Gatts

Gatts Member

Nya, with 7.7 modpack I encountered some changes...
    1. in Deklo grow - no random (sleep) encounter
    2. Moathouse - more small critters encounters (thicks, giant rats... )

that gives me free sleeping, not for forging, but at least for getting rid of temp negative effects. I like.
    Seeing Giant Rats attacking made me happy, untill I found that they did up to 5 damage and it was like 12 Giant rats...having wizard or sorceror with 6-7 HP... even my barbarian died few times. Also thicks are nasty, hard to hit and draining life... blueh. Clayfish also, with their pincer double attack, each dealing up to 10 damage... with 30+ HP, not nice enemy. First 2-3 levels are mages and sorcerors useles, with their little damage spells that trigger att of opp anyway... priests are mor like it, especially with enlarge person, divine favor or doom... well, doom not that much, lvl 1 cleric rarely succeeds on doom. Problem is, that even if I try to keep figher or barbarian (prefferably fighter) , these +6 attack + 1 damage warriors still don't hit often enough to win a battle. At level 5 a Fighter can have based on feats + class bonus high attack and extra damage and even greater cleave (with Glaive it's nice rat killer) but my problem is to survive without often load/save the first 4 levels... (yep, I can make them by doing those quests in town, I also used speedup() with speed 5 to fasten the process... but when you do it too often, you just hate those quests)
    I hate to cheat, and to increase the XP ration from 0.6 to 10 or 20 and meddling with Druids chest to get superb lot of XP and level up to 5, 6 is still ugly cheating.

ToEE is having great breathtaking graphics, and perfectly (especially with mods) mastered 3.5 DnD system... so I like making my ToEE as a battle simulator for my DnD friends, but the poor guys spend dozens minutes on creating characters, just to die first waiting-sleep at moathouse.
    Also I tried to use "create xxx" but that kills the thrill from random encounter and slows things down.

Is there really no way to make/edit random encounter tables?

EDIT: on higher levels there are random encounter in Deklo Grow

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

4. Gatts

Gatts Member

[​IMG]

it starts to be boresome to waste my chain lightning on pirates...for 0 XP...
    while traveling my 12 lvl sorceror met 2 ettins with 2 brown bears, that is GREAT! I love it.. sad that on sleeping in wilderness are not such cool encounters (well, the same 12 lvl sor met on his way back 4 goblins instead of ettins... goblin has 1/2 cr/exp or even less... like wtf)

5. Gatts

Gatts Member

Thanx, what I don't know, I will learn... I totally would love changin ToEE into balanced DnD 3.5 combat simulator... I just hoped its one of the .tab files that can be easy edited with proto editor.

6. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Established Member Supporter

Goblins would be actually an interesting encounter at night while sleeping due to their darkvision, especially if your party consists only of humans and are not prepared for that with having Blindfight or fitting spells. But I have no idea if at one point in the game "night" actually means that enemies of someone without darkivision automatically have concealment.

7. Gatts

Gatts Member

No such script found, but good point, I always punish my players in DnD if they don't keep someone on night watch. While sleeping they suffer high penalty on listen check and have no spot check. Blind fight helps anyway (when awake and fighting). Also what would be adding "natural real-life atmosphere", like in Adventrues of Arkania - Star Trail or Shadows over Rive, you had to keep watch schedule during sleep, if you didn't enemies occured right near your sleeping and uprepared mages, if you did, you could wake your party before enemies could be dangerous.
    In the travel encounters, I see that enemies are farther away from party, that could be applied probably also for sleeping-in-wilderness-encounters, but as most scripts are Arcanum based, which had no such "resting" it could require complete-from-base script making.

8. Gatts

Gatts Member

Okie, here is what I got so far.
    ran_factor determines chance of sleep encounter per 8 hours of sleep.
    (didn't know that I can rest in burne tower and get attacked with factor 31:
    #resting in Burne's tower
    ran_factor = 31 )

Also that usually the placed enemies are near party leader spot + 1 random spot (what has to have further script, as I know that when 6 monsters occur, each is somehow near differend party member, so not only around leader)

Enemies are in number (ID?) format:
    #Moderately naughty
    enemy_list = ( ( 14371,2,4,1 ), )
    question of time to read the numbers right

also that each region has its own spawn list, what is good start... I can just populate a selected area with specific enemies towards my (or my DnD pals) liking...

Thank you guys in supporting me in these efforts, I feel I am on good way!!
    (will be much more fun than those nasty orc encounter mod from arcanum)

9. Gatts

Gatts Member

enemy_list = ( ( 14056,4,9,1 ) , (...

So the first number as I thought is the Proto Id
    2nd and 3rd (4,9) is range ... in this case, rats from 4 to 9 will appear
    the last (1) should be something with party level, DC or HD (or HP?)
    I am not sure, but I guess its based on party.level , and it probably indicates the minimum needed level of player party... if the number would be 6, and my party is on level 3 or less, this eneme would not appear.

I now need to figure out something about an option of upper limit (the opposite of minimum level, so I won't encounter rats when my party is on level 15)
    Next I would like to know how to regroup appearance, so not always the NPC will occur on adjecting free spaces... Especially when my ranger has track and spot 20, and my rogue has listen 20. (or that mordekain hound is summoned)

Workarounds how to battle 6 trolls that are around my weak party members are quite few and stereotype-like.
    1. Improved Initiative
    2. 5 casters run away (if they survive)
    3. 6th caster casts gauseous form or solid fog (or both + blink or something similar)
    4. clerics cast Smite Evil or Smite Chaos, Wizards and Sorcerors cast Lightning bolt or fireball, bards heal group and I pray that my casters have enough spells memorized.

10. Cloudsprinter

Cloudsprinter Member

If you Just want to battle you can create Enemies using the console;

'create 14442' will spawn an enemy (wizard i think) on the lead character..

Once the fight starts, You can spawn more enemies on the current lead character.

I think the Random encounters are aimed at Max level 10 (?) and with Ranger/Druid checks you can avoid etc so easier to just spawn a nice giant army :)

11. XVicious

XVicious Established Member

Custom Random encounter base

python scipt example for an encounter
    using the Note as a summon encounter
    py00270EncounterCreate.py
    --------------------------------------------
    Code:

from utilities import *

from toee import *

def myrand_encounter( num ):
    	if(game.leader.stat_level_get(stat_level) == 1):
    		while ( num > 0 ):
    			game.obj_create(14049, game.leader.location)
    			num = num - 1
    	if(game.leader.stat_level_get(stat_level) == 2):
    		while ( num > 0 ):
    			game.obj_create(14050, game.leader.location)
    			num = num - 1
    	if(game.leader.stat_level_get(stat_level) == 3):
    		while ( num > 0 ):
    			game.obj_create(14070, game.leader.location)
    			num = num - 1
    	return SKIP_DEFAULT

def san_use( attachee , triggerer ):
    	if(game.leader.map == 5119):
    		myrand_encounter( game.random_range(1,3) )
    	return SKIP_DEFAULT

installs into data/src/
    somewhat temperary for now

Our Host!