Assault Charges:Warning: Spoilfilled

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by andminus, Aug 25, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. andminus

andminus Member

A curious thing happened to me, and while I'm not EPIC-ALLY far into the game, I recall the first time I did "this" that it didn't occur like so:

Only highlight below if you've reach Nulb:
    ------------------------------------------------
    Okay first off: the FIRST time I cleared the moat house, I did it vanilla, but after some studying and discovering the "mandatoryness" of Co8, I restarted under the new content, and redid the fight on a new set of characters: I scared the doorman by saying I Need to get through and he ran back, I followed like I KNEW what was gonna be next, and when I got to the room my fighters ran straight in fully buffed for combat and while in there, Lareth came out of his room making comments in the heat of battle(which was obviously different then in the vanilla but I liked that change) however, he killed Meleny, and in a fit of rage, her husband killed Lareth in ONE critical hit with a powerful great sword. This surprised me as I could of SWORE he was suppose to stop combat to beg for his life and show me the "Backdoor" to the temple(and the experience there in from killing everyone in the room)... so I was disappointed about losing out on the "betrayal", that is, until I went outside and was met by Kobort, Turuko and Zert with a bunch of brigands and Gnolls. I stared at this for a good 10 minutes, trying to fathom where this came from, I had paid off the Gnolls to leave the place, and out of ALL of them: Zert seemed the nicest NPC follower, and I was rather disheartened to see him oppose us, the other two kinda seemed jerky to me... after managing to defeat Lareth's brigand, AND this surprise one,I quickly went to town to try and get a res scroll to bring back Zert at least, as like I said, he's the only one out of the whole enemy force I felt didn't deserve to die, but he still attacks me... so I gotta kill em again. I suppose this may be new Co8 content, but I felt somewhat bad that I had to thrash all of them, was there a way to avoid killing them?, and another question: why was it the "honest" followers all turned on me, WHILE the thieving, cheating Furnok wasn't among them, I found him still where he belonged, sobbing over at the table pathetically about how I ratted him out.
    ---------------------------------
    highlight dat shyt

2. SenorOcho

SenorOcho Member

Lareth doesn't have time to stop the fight if you straight up KO/kill him from above whatever HP threshold he gives up at.

The backdoor ambush happens anytime Lareth is killed, even in the vanilla game. The gnolls there have nothing to do with the gnolls in the previous group (the gnolls indoors are a lot more dangerous!).

I suggest you play the Lawful Evil side sometime to understand why those "honest" NPCs would be waiting for you out there. All three of them are Evil!

3. andminus

andminus Member

Its a secret to everybody:
    ------------------------------

After I beat it ones on True Neutral(which as it turns out seems to be going "goodish" instead of the neutral I intended but eh well), I'll be doing an evil playthrough and compare how different they are, should be fun.

4. sps49

sps49 Wide-Eyed Tourist Supporter

Spoilers:

They're all Eeevil. Zert is supposed to turn on your party if it looks like a tough fight, but it has never happened to me. ALso, if you ever have a Paladin, have him talk to Turuko in the bar.

Our Host!