Gave Elmo a bard level...

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Xeddicus, Aug 21, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. Xeddicus

Xeddicus Member

Gave him 3 ranks in perform, gave him a lute (the carpenter won't sell once you finish his quests in seems, btw), but I can't find out how to activate Inspire Courage. Doesn't show up in the radial menu. Help?

2. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Charisma might be too low.

3. Xeddicus

Xeddicus Member

Well that wasn't mentioned anywhere, and you can't even SEE NPC's stats, but I'll go try that, thanks...seems you can't check/set NPC stats? game.party[0].stat_base_set(stat_charisma,18) doesn't seem do anything on him.

At this point I just gave the non-NPC party members a level to make up for it (apparently levelup doesn't work for NPC's either...). Lets hope my PC fighter can actually sing. Thanks again for the idea.

4. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Inspire courage should be available in the radial dial, you have the required three ranks in perform.

When you open the radial dial mouse over ALL the options, you might just be missing it. :)

5. Xeddicus

Xeddicus Member

I've checked them all numerous times, it's just not showing up. He has a brd spell menu where I can toss out 2 spells, but that's it. Must be bugged. Kicked him from the party and no dice. Can't get the XP commands working on him to delevel him and try again. Probably just going to have to live with it.

6. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

Maybe he is over-armoured?

7. SenorOcho

SenorOcho Member

Did you rest after leveling? I'm not sure if that's necessary or not.

8. sirchet

Excellent point, 3.5e allows bards to function in up to a chain shirt.

9. Xeddicus

Xeddicus Member

Gave a bard level to my PC fighter, same problem. They're naked except for a flute, Maybe it's the CHA, but can't get the damn code to work on my PC fighter either to raise it. Stupid console text is misaligned, doesn't help...

10. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

Do yourself a favour, and give only bardlevels to characters who have at least 12 CHA to begin with.

The console is a bit of a cheat and gives more chances on errors during the game.

11. sirchet

Are you aware that in the console code you showed the [0] represents the first character, or the one in the far left spot. For it to affect another character you will have to place the correct number in between the brackets, 0= first, 1= second, 2= third and so on.

12. Xeddicus

Xeddicus Member

Just to not leave this hanging: Yes, I'm aware of the 0 thing. And I came to the conclusion to only make bards out of bard characters too, yeah.

But the damn game crashes EVERY time I try and go to the Temple, so that was the end of that. Maybe one day I'll try again. But the bugs have defeated me for now.

13. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Per the walkthrough:

Elmo (Villager) (41 HP)
    Chaotic Good male human level 4 fighter (6000 XP)
    AC: 22, Fortitude: +7, Reflex: +4, Will: +4, Initiative: +7, Primary: +10, Deity: Old Faith
    Strength: 18
    Dexterity: 16
    Constitution: 17
    Intelligence: 15
    Wisdom: 16
    Charisma: 11
    Feats: Cleave, Improved Initiative, Power Attack, Combat Reflexes, Weapon Focus (Battleaxe), Weapon Specialization (Battleaxe)
    Skill ranks: Spot: 3.5, Listen: 3.5, Search: 3.5, Hide: 3.5, Tumble: 3.5
    Equipment: Battleaxe +1, Red Chainmail +1, Steel Shield +2, Dagger +1
    Availability: He will only join you if you give him 200 gold. If you remove him from your party, then he will return to his original location. You can recruit him again indefinitely.
    Location: walks between the Inn of the Welcome Wench and Captain Renton's house during the day. At night, he is in the Inn of the Welcome Wench in Hommlet.

You can find all of the NPCs starting stats there to help you decide if you want them or not. Elmo's CHR is an 11, so he could cast 1st level spells, and with 3 ranks in Perform, inspire courage. You say you ave him 3 ranks, but how? With his INT he should get 2 skill points on level up.

14. maalri

maalri Immortal

I am pretty sure that his INT will give him +2 skill points, in addition to the points for the class which I am certain is 6 for a Bard. So, with 8 points, he could easily take 3 in Perform.

15. short

short Member

Hi Xeddicus,

I tested this for you, and I found that, despite what the rules say, you need 4 skill points in perform to use inspire courage. Bonuses (from high charisma for example) or penalties (low charisma, no instrument etc.) do not matter. The only requirement is that you put 4 points in perform when you level up, and everything else seems irrelevant.

Our Host!