windows 8 installation

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by tom, Aug 12, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. tom

tom Established Member

I have been told the location of the temple. When I arrive there i should be treated to the temple movie - but instead it crashes to desktop. Is thier a way of turning off the movies within the game?

2. valky

valky Member

There isn't or there is one, but that's your issue to begin with. It is possible, to use fake-movies (movie files with no content), but since it has to be a proper format, it's hard to create one, that'd work on your system.
    [I tried with several files myself - randomly picked of the web - but it did always crashes for me]

What does work for me (despite movies being enabled/disabled) is to rename the movie folder instead, so the engine should skip them by default. ->"...\Temple of Elemental Evil\data\movies"

rename that folder (movie) to something else.

[it looks like the default BIK player got issues to run within windows 8. Tried further to get updated player running, but the ToEE engine does seem to rely on the crosslinked player/movies & movies.tfp-file

3. tom

tom Established Member

I stumbled into a work around. - It ran the movie imediatly after the shop and the arriving at homlet movie ok. I guessed that it was something i might have done to upset it. I had altered the screen resolution in the front end during the game.

the solution was to uninstall everything except the save games. turn of the antivirus. then reinstall. then run the game. then alter the cinema option in the game to that closest to my screen resolution. then travel to the temple . It ran the movie ok ( the screen resolution is still not quit right but who cares?) Finally i turned my antivirus back on.

Thanks again for all of your time and help.

So could all this crashing at start-up and later be due to a clash in screen resolution?

4. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

TOEE has a history of not liking to run movies in a different format than it was designed to use back in 2003.

Quite often the problem arises from the Graphics Processor attempting to scale the movie to fit your native resolution and aspect ratio.

I've been able to run the movies in game by disabling scaling in my Graphics Processor's settings.

Well, at least I was until 7.9NC, but I'm sure there will be a fix for my issue in due time.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  5. tom

tom Established Member

I noticed there is also some relationship between the resolution in the co8 front end and that set via the options screen within the game itself. It looks as if there are some combinations it can cope with and others that it cant.

Changing the resolution through front end can cause problems because you can't select a compatible resolution until you are in the game.

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

The front end resolution selector is really meant to replace the in-game version, not coexist with it. Vanilla ToEE only supported 4 resolutions (or allowed them, I should say, as its native support of widescreen is what luckily allows us to play with it now).

There will naturally be 'bad' resolutions from system to system, as not all systems support all resolutions, and TFE-X has no way of knowing which ones yours supports. It only makes available those which are known to be 'good' (on some systems) as verified by the Widescreen Gaming people.

7. tom

tom Established Member

Something odd seams to be happening though - for example it had been playing ok but crashing to desktop on quiting the game. Then on two occasions it crashed to a black screen which I had to control escape to get out of - after then it would only run in windowed mode. I tried reactivating the co8 module but to no effect - it crashed on start up regardless of which resolution i picked from the co8 front end. but would run in windowed mode.

Our Host!