Unclear on certain mechanics.

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by 0range, Aug 18, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

In this computer game, if you select Single Attack from the radial menu, then you can only make 1 attack with that character for that character's turn. If you want to be able to target multiple opponents with your character's multiple attacks, then you need to select Full Attack in the radial menu.

The sneak attack mechanic in this computer game is very finicky! Sometimes, my rogue won't make a sneak attack even though my rogue is on the opposite side of an opponent. Other times, when my rogue isn't completely on the opposite side of an opponent, the game will make my rogue's attack a sneak attack. I've also noticed that the game sometimes doesn't count charmed monsters or summoned monsters when determining whether a rogue is on the opposite side of an opponent.

Keep in mind that flat-footed allies do not threaten any area around them (unless they have the Combat Reflexes feat), so flat-footed allies can't be used to set up a flank attack against an opponent (unless they have the Combat Reflexes feat).

The D&D 3.5 System Reference Document states:

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  2. zugschef

zugschef Established Member

Defensive casting avoids provoking attacks of opportunity, these archers aren't making AoOs, though, what they're doing is readying an attack versus spell. Defensive casting doesn't help with that.

3. 0range

0range Member

WOW! Way more posts here than last I looked.

Anywaaay, thanks so much for the pointers! I had no idea that "Full Attack" allowed you to spread out your attacks as you see fit. I assumed the standard default "click and attack" was a full attack.

Also, "If you trip an opponent in melee combat, you immediately get a melee attack against that opponent as if you hadn’t used your attack for the trip attempt."

Is that from the Player's Handbook? I don't remember reading that line in particular in ToEE, but it would make sense with what happened in that particular fight. Seemed to me like ToEE's Improved Trip description more or less gives +4 to the attempt and lets you trip unarmed without provoking an AoO.

Yes, I know that. The problem I had was that the game literally just spammed my Wizard endlessly until she eventually failed a check. There were only a few archers at all, and none of them ever actually fired at her. She just received the "Action Interrupted" message prompting her to reroll Concentration for Casting Defensively until she rolled a 1.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2013
  4. zugschef

zugschef Established Member

Ahhh... Now I remember that happening to me, too.

First off, I guess you're talking about the crossbow-archers in front of the Moathouse. What the archers are probably doing is readying a standard action (attack) versus spell, but they'd first need a move action to load their crossbow and can't shoot. Thus, they probably simply pass their "turn" (they can't delay after readying an action). Secondly, the wizard should be interrupted before rolling the concentration check since concentrating is part of casting the spell.

So yes, the second part of this is a bug, but the first is actually a failure of the AI.

5. valky

valky Member

+1 awesome informations to be found in here :>
    specially about the "ready" action, since I barely used it in older games, but it does sound pretty easy 2 use according the description.
    But about Ready: Counterspell? This didn't really seem to work or make sense at all. From my understanding for ie 'Slow' I have to have memorized 'Haste'...does it work that way against any spell, lets say 'Magic Missile'? But in this case I need to have the same spell or a higher ranked spell from the same school?

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Sometimes the ToEE combat engine goes a little loopy. Most likely just a random instance of that and not a bug per se (albeit shoddy coding that doesn't seal the leaks). Just ignore and next time it'll probably work right.

Our Host!