Circle of Eight Modpack v7 / v7 NC General Commentary & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by UncleBuck, Dec 2, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

Thanks...:thumbsup:

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Re: 7.9 Known Issues

I still find it strange that I could run 7.8NC without a hitch and now 7.9NC crashes at the intro movie.

I have changed absolutely nothing on my PC, no new software or even changed settings.

Maybe it's time to do a complete clean re-install of everything TOEE related. :(

3. short

short Member

I also experience the CTD before the intro movie. It seems random, and it works if I keep trying. The game is stable after that. I didn't have this problem with 7.8.

4. phlippy g

phlippy g Member

I to seem to be having this problem with cdt too. Less so when game res. is the same as monitors default 1600 x 1080. I find in the end of the initialization phase, the beginning of the movie or much more rarely when selecting new / load game. Though I can get in and play. Looking back at it . I didn't have a problem until I changed video perameters in game after setting it differently in the front end.

5. Belcanzor

Belcanzor Member

My two cents: I experience a sure crash trying to start the game for FIRST TIME with movies "off".
    Solution: Start the game normally.
    Exit.
    Disable movies. Thats all. No crashes here, I m in Temple Earth level, cleaning.

6. hellblazer

hellblazer Established Member

The movies enabled works better sometimes lol.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  7. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Added some info about the Linux game startup issue and its solution to the first post of this thread.

- Agetian

8. twisty

twisty Morose Marauder

Anyone else experienced the missing Orb of Death in Falrinth's chest?

9. SenorOcho

SenorOcho Member

Just picked it up in my game, in the spot where it was supposed to be.

10. Gehennis

Have just started the first level of the temple with a NE party, all 6th lvl. Went into combat against the ogre cheif and followers in the room just below the secret door where the hall full of skeletons are. While in combat had my druid cast Nature Ally's 3- with no results. I checked the rolls window and it indicated that the spell had been successfully cast (up to this point I've had no troubles casting summoning spells). On her next turn I tried a Nature's Ally 2 summoning and the rolls window indicated that the spell had been cast- but the summoned ally (black bear in this case and a thoqque(?) in the previous one) never appeared. I finished the combat with the only casualty (aside from some of the commanded skeletons) was her animal companion, which was killed by the ogre chief. I went to the secret room in the stairs to recover and tried to select another companion but the option was missing from the radial dial. I went back to Nulb, rested a few days and tried again- and again, the option was missing. Traveled the world map to find an encounter to try the Nature's Ally summons again- this time both worked but upon returning to Nulb the option to choose an animal companion was still missing from the radial dial. Will go back to a previous save and try this again to see what happens...

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  11. Gehennis

OK, just retried this combat with a few slight changes: took the long way around to reach this particular area and as soon as I finished combat with the skeletons a new combat started with the ogre chief and company even though I hadn't even reached the door to open the room up (apparently goblins have X-ray vision :)). Sent the fighter to guard the door w/o opening it and allowed the commanded skeletons to rush the room. This kept the animal companion out of harms way and allowed me to have the sorcerer toss in a few fireballs w/o worry. On my druid's first turn I tried Summon Nature's Ally 3, again choosing the throqque- and again it failed to appear (I chose a spot empty of surrounding monsters to make sure that something so large had a place to appear). On her next turn I tried Summon Nature's Ally 2 and chose a small air elemental- which showed up. On her third turn (after having the air elemental 'take one for the team' when my sorcerer hit the area with a fireball) I cast another Summon Nature's Ally 2, choosing the black bear- and this time it showed up. Since the animal companion stayed alive I'm not sure what will happen later if (really, when) it croaks but it looks like at least there might be a problem with summoning the throqque. Any one else have this problem?

12. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

How many skeletons perished between the failed casting of the Summon Nature's Ally 3 and the successful casting of the first Summon Nature's Ally 2?

I have observed on a number of occassions that #commanded undead + #summoned creatures + #animal companions is limited to something like 10 at any time so summons routinely fail when you have a full complement of commanded undead - this applies to summon monster spells too.

Did you dismiss the dead animal companion?

13. Gehennis

The option to dismiss the dead animal companion never showed and I'm afraid I lost track of how many commanded skeletons there were- since I still have that save I'll go back and count how many there are and try to see if I can get them killed off during the fight...

14. twisty

twisty Morose Marauder

Regarding the CTDs:

I'm pretty much steered towards thinking that it does indeed have something to do with the videos or screen resolution. The CTDs eventually went away for me on the main game and although I reduced it in the first few days by disabling the intros, the problem now seems to have disappeared altogether. In saying that however, I was able to get to the Slavers and WotGS without issue but am unable to get to Hickory Branch as it CTDs as soon as I try and travel there. I presume that a video plays there. Is the resolution of the video any different from the others?

15. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

There's actually no video there atm, but there wil be in v8. So it's not that. I couldn't reproduce that crash btw, though I don't doubt the validity as others have reported it.

Our Host!