Emridy Meadows pain

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by NickD, Jul 22, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

A Finger of Death would not really work, as undeads are immune to your necromantics... Unless offcourse, you mean the Dune (Harkonen) one... About everything will die under heavy enough artillery fire :p

2. tom

tom Established Member

I don't like being put in a situation where you just can't win. (Whereas if a player puts themselves in a position that they cant survive - that's just Darwin in action.)

The emridy meadow ambush and the other one (wont spoil) are too harsh for low level characters to blunder into with no chance of running away.

Is the emridy meadow ambush a mod or was it in the original? It seams unfair that the priest gives you 2 quests at first level and one of them is fatal.

You would think that he could give some kind of warning. "Thanks for agreeing to find my stuff but watch out! You need a strong party to venture there" ( or words to that effect)

3. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Until recently, I never realized you could get the Emridy Meadows quest right off the bat. My guess is that Troika thought they buried it sufficiently in Terjon's dialog that nobody would try it a first level.

4. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

If you mean the hill giant that's in the original game- if you mean the other encounter that's been modified by Co8 I believe but you would have to ask them to be sure. I'm guessing that Troika never figured that anyone would rush out to take on a known horde of undead w/o getting a few levels under their belts...

5. SenorOcho

SenorOcho Member

The hill giant in emridy meadows does have a stomping sound and screen shaking effect going on almost as far as two screens away before you see it. Wouldn't really call that an ambush unless you aren't paying attention...

6. Goshi3156

Goshi3156 Dire Badger

At night he remains stationary so you don't have that warning.

7. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

With some luck (and/or reloading) you can get this done at level one using the Charm Animal scroll/spell.

8. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

IIRC, Co8 modified that encounter, but it was still a pain even in the vanilla.

9. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

That's actually totally Co8. It was designed by Livonya way back in 'Livonya's Mod.'

10. tom

tom Established Member

The encounter with the giant is avoidable through good play - if you sneak you can see the giant before he sees you and sneak away.

There is no warning of a "horde of undead" the good guys won the battle, so you might assume that they cleared up afterwards.

You cannot avoid the ambush even by using a thief to sneak and retrieve the items.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2013
  11. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

That's why you save early, save often. :p

12. BenWH

BenWH BGPHughes

I suppose it's a personal thing, bbut I always liked that in both ToEE and Baldur's Gate, you could stray into areas beyond your ability and had to extract yourself. Never really liked games where everything scales, though I can see the need for it. I think the weakness in ToEE is that it seems to be impossible to finish combat until everyone is dead, making escape impossible. Or at least, if there is a way I haven't found it.

13. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

There's an "escape" option in the radial menu. All enemies get 1 free AoO, and you get transported to the map right before your current one. Doesn't work for open-world fights, I think.

14. tom

tom Established Member

I have never managed to get the "flee combat" option to work in open world fights, but if you put enough distance between your party and the opposition the game drops out of combat mode. Then you can move to another location as normal.

15. Legless

Legless Established Member

I'm playing 7.9nc and killed the giant and bear and did rainbow rock straight after at level 3.

For giant/bear I used web, Tasha's hideous Laughter and grease, I also took strength for my cleric so got enlarge person so my rogue could hit from the second row with a shortsword.
    For the rainbow rock I used turn undead, the Rogue was still enlarged as well, I didn't have blunt weapons except sling for my cleric.

Our Host!