Best weapons and build towards max those weapons

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by veryfinemale, Jul 28, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. veryfinemale

veryfinemale Member

Ok I am eagerly awaiting 7.8 to be released
    Already thinking about my next party

I rarely really try and optimize but this time I want to , specifically towards some of the better magical weapons of the game

So... what are the best magically weapons in the game? And how to optimize character build to make use of that weapon.

I am thinking fighter to use prince ... bastard sword (been awhile so I do not remember details)

Ranger with 2 weapon fighting and find/use two good long swords

Perhaps fighter to max use of great sword, but this is getting heavy on fighters

Surely a Magic User, but not sure how to max that

Any thoughts?

2. Eric_Blair

Eric_Blair Member

I am no expert but, based on my experiences with this game all it comes down to for bastard sword/great sword, it's just a matter of getting huge strength, and getting the feats leading up to Great Cleave. Take big guy. Hit stuff hard. Half-orcs are a good place to start.

Just make sure you get the right alignment so they can get the most benefit from Scather/Fragrach which is a great sword/bastard sword, so build accordingly. The key alignments are Chaotic Neutral, Neutral Good, or Chaotic Good for the +8 damage bonus.

There really aren't many great weapons to be found in this game, or those you'd want to build around. What you really want is a Lawful Good cleric of Pelor with Good and Sun domains so you can craft a pile of holy weapons and cut the Balor into ribbons.

I don't know much about magic users. Get a really high INT/CHA score, I guess? Get a lot of the spell focus feats, nuke things. The enchantment spells benefit from spell focus greatly. Your DC gets so high, eventually very little can resist you, it's pretty satisfying.

3. veryfinemale

veryfinemale Member

Eric B

Thanks for this reply
    Glad you mentioned the alignments....... i would have overlooked tthat

Can anyone else add to this?

Also give me more info on the Scather weapon and the Fragrach weapon
    Where did get them how to get them
    Exactly what they do please

4. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi
    For what it's worth, to "Max Out" Scather, you need a Chaotic Good Fighter with the following feats: Weapon Focus: Bastard Sword and Weapon Specialization: Bastard Sword.
    You can get "Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword" if you want, but it's not really necessary ( it allows you to use the bastard sword one handed ).

I usually go with the following party:
    A Half - Orc Fighter with a crafted Holy, Shocking Burst +3 Glaive. Feats include Weapon Specialization: Glaive, Great Cleave and Combat Reflexes.
    A HumanPaladin/ Cleric with the Holy Longsword you get from Filliken ( Start off as a Cleric of Heironeous with the "War" and "Good" domains for 3 Levels, then Paladin for 3 or 4 Levels, then Cleric the rest of the way ). Feats include "Weapon Focus: Longsword ( Free Feat for War Domain ) Combat Reflexes and Cleave.
    An Elf Rogue / Wizard ( start as a Rogue for a level or 2 then switch back and forth until 4th Level Rogue, then Wizard the rest of the way ) with a Crafted Longbow ( Composite if his strength is high enough ) that is Holy and Shocking Burst. Feats include Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot
    A Human Wizard with a crafted Holy, Shocking Burst Crossbow. Depending on how I feel, I might give the Wizard Point Blank and Precise Shot.
    I also take Meleny, usually as a Single Class Druid, but I will on occasion have her multi-class for a couple of levels of Monk ( so her Wisdom bonus counts for AC when she isn't wearing armor among other things ). Meleny usually ends up with the Repeating Crossbow that does Sonic Damage. For feats she might get Point Blank Shot and Precise Shot, but thats it.
    The Royal Canadian

5. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

If you want maximum damage from Scather/Fragarach, don't take Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Bastard Sword. If you do, you'll always wield it in one hand, and lose the damage bonus for using it in two.

6. Gubbie

Gubbie Member

for the scather/fragarach fighter, it's very important to have power attack, since you autohit with those weapons. That means you can max out power attack for extra dam without worrying about missing your target. If you also take combat expertise you can get an extra +5 dodge bonus to ac. You do need to have 13 int to take that feat though. You can't use it while you're raging, which is why I prefer fighters instead of barbarians with this build.
    It's already been mentioned you shouldn't take exotic, I agree, since power attack doubles the damage if you use a two-handed weapon, just grab a darkwood/mw buckler you can enhance for the extra ac.

7. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

A buckler will also deny you the extra damage for a two handed weapon, so stick with Combat Expertise for extra AC.

8. Goshi3156

Goshi3156 Dire Badger

For enchanting, a LG Cleric with both Law and Good domains and a Wizard should be your enchanters. Make sure the Wizard is able to learn Keen Edge and Fireball. You'll want your weapons to be Keen Axiomatic Good Flaming Burst ones. You can probably fit more enchantments... if you want to be a little overkill.

As for the weapons well the best enchantable ones are Kukris, Short Swords, Rapiers, Scimitars, Long Swords, Falchions, Great Swords, Ranseurs and Longbows. Other than the infamous Scather and Fragarach, Bastard Swords are inferior to Falchions and Great Swords, due to the former's crit range and the latter's damage die. Though they do make a very solid one-handed weapon, should you be willing to sacrifice a feat slot for Exotic Weapon Proficiency.

Scather can be gotten as a reward from successfully rescuing Prince Thrommel in the Temple. You'll need to trigger a random encounter with some of his guards after rescuing him. Fragarach is held by Prince Thrommel himself and can be gotten by killing him and possibly by pick pocketing him (needs confirmation). If you want both Scather and Fragarach you'll need to have him die while he's in your party, loot Fragarach from his body and then cast Raise Dead on him... or Pick Pocket him (assuming it works).

9. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

In my various play throughs the best weapon in the game that you find IMO is the Frostbrand +3, a max enchanted greatsword that has no alignment penalty and works very well against Zuggtmy. If you want to give it to a fighter then these feats should be chosen: Weapon Focus, Power Attack, Cleave, Great Cleave, Weapon Specialization, Greater Weapon Focus and Improved Critical. If you want to spice things up give it to a ranger with Power Attack, Weapon Focus, Improved Critical and favored enemies of Giants and Chaotic/Evil Outsiders.

10. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Why do you choose Ranseurs over Glaives, Goshi3156?

A Glaive does 1d10 and a Ranseur does 2d4.

EDIT: Oooops :)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2013
  11. Goshi3156

Goshi3156 Dire Badger

You meant me right? Gehennis mentioned nothing about Ranseurs.

Two damage dice is better than one. The maximum damage is lower sure, but the minimum damage is higher, lending to a more consistent damage output.

There's also the fact that Glaives did slip my mind, yeah.

12. sirchet

Yes I meant you and have corrected my earlier post, (sorry bout that).

I have recently found that a Ranseur IS rather effective and you can score a magically enhanced and Holy one pretty early in the game if you're careful. ;)

13. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

On wizards and enchanting: You need to always pick the ability spells at level up, as they are not or sale in the game, except possibly in Verbo, which is late in the game. Cat's Grace, Owl's Wisdom, Bear's Endurance, Fox's Cunning, Eagle's Splendor, and Bull's Strength will help you create either Ion Stones or the various cloaks, belts, and gloves to help the party. A Belt of Giant Strength helps every party member. Added damage to melee attacks and carrying capacity (an oft overlooked part of the game). Nothing sucks more than having a low STR wizard make a Robe off the Magi and find out he is overloaded while wearing it and carrying potions, scrolls and that fire Staff.

Headband of Intellect +6 adds spells, as does the Pierapt of Wisdom. Gloves of DEX help not just rogues, but any missile weapon user, and anyone with a low AC. Add both to a monk and watch him never get hit.

14. sirchet

Right, also the gloves are great at improving a character's initiative.

BrotherSmythe likes this.
  15. veryfinemale

veryfinemale Member

Thanks all
    Lots of good comments and suggestions here
    I look forward to creating a maxed party and going through 7.9 (soon?)

Clarify this for me:
    Fragarch weapon on Prince; TO get this you have to kill Prince... OR have thief pick pocket him

After you save him, and then meet his (and party) on random encounter. He offers gift , which includes Scather. And at that time have a rogue pick pocket him to get Fragarch.? Is this correct

Thanks

Our Host!