Baldur's Gate EE taken down. Atari involved?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Agetian, Jul 26, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

As you old-school RPG fans probably know, Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition was taken off the digital shelves recently by Beamdog for an indeterminate amount of time, and all the related projects (BG:EE patches, BG2:EE) were frozen for the same indeterminate amount of time as well. Beamdog is not revealing the exact reason for this, but is hinting that it was done due to the "publishing partner's request". Scrolling the page down I see Atari among "publishing partners" (the only other companies listed being Hasbro / WotC, who, to be honest, are probably license holders but not publishing companies, judging by how games like ToEE and NWN2 were made and published).

Seeing Atari down there and seeing a situation like this, why am I not surprised? :p :eyebrow:

- Agetian

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Somebody didn't care until it started making money, now they want their cut.

3. FredSRichardson

FredSRichardson Established Member

4. scramjetbooster

scramjetbooster Blasted Nerfherder

:yes:

5. silo25

silo25 Established Member

i paid for this game and now cant play it

6. FredSRichardson

FredSRichardson Established Member

Yeah, the last patch hasn't gone out yet which might fix whatever problems your having. I know there are some issues with the Intel graphics card.

7. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Well, that's Atari for you - I think a lot of people said the same when ToEE was released (the way it was originally released). :\

Agree with the poster who said "...now they want their cut", by the way, that's very Atari too. :)

- Agetian

8. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Being that Atari has auctioned off it's assets, I thought for sure WotC would scoop up the rights right away.

We just have to read the results when they're published, should be final already now that it's after the 25th of July.

EDIT: I am pleasantly surprised to find that when I started my BeamDog client it had an update available for BGEE, which I installed and then proceeded to play BGEE for a while with ABSOLUTELY NO PROBLEMS OR RESTRICTIONS.

In short; it works fine. :)

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
Our Host!