Strange Crash Problem

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by BDBmuse, Jun 10, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. BDBmuse

BDBmuse Member

Hi,

I am playing with the 7.7 NC version of the game and am having a problem where it crashes when I try to go upstairs after the fire temple fight.

Using a previous save, I don't have any problems moving about the temple, switching temple levels, but as soon as I complete the fire temple battle, the game crashes whenever I try to leave that level.

I have completed that battle several times to make sure it wasn't a corrupt save after the first time.

I have tried leaving the loot behind. And resting so that all of the character's spells wear off. No difference.

I would greatly appreciate any ideas or suggestions!

Thanks to all of the people who are working on updating and maintaining the game. I found the game and this site a couple of weeks ago and have been enjoying the hell out of it. :thumbsup:

TIA
    BDB

2. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

Does completing the fire temple fight involve rebuking, charming, dominating or otherwise enslaving one or more greater salamanders?

3. BDBmuse

BDBmuse Member

I usually do charm one or more of the flamebrothers. I thought that leaving the level with the charmed salamander still in the party might be causing the issue and killed it off but it still crashed.

Maybe just the act of charming them is causing the problem? I'll try redoing the fight without the charm monster.

4. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I would also attempt leaving without any buffs still active.

5. BDBmuse

BDBmuse Member

Thanks for the ideas.

No luck on not charming salamanders. It still crashed.

I let the various spell effects wear off, saved, went upstairs, and it didn't crash. Tried to go upstairs to the main level and it crashed. The really strange thing is that when I reload that save it crashes when I go upstairs, though in theory it is in the same state as when it let me go up before... Of course, I didn't save before I tried to go up to the main level.

Thanks
    BDB

6. sirchet

I hate to say it, but sometimes a re-activation is needed when the game starts acting funny like this.

No summons, no charms and no effects when transitioning and it still crashes .... Sounds corrupted to me.

7. BDBmuse

BDBmuse Member

Hi Sirchet,

By re-activation, do you mean reload the game and start from the beginning? Or reload the game and reuse the save games from my current game?

Thanks
    BDB

8. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

I think he means that if you are using the front end, click the reactivate button- basically reinstalling the game.

9. sirchet

It depends on what version of the Front End loader you are using.

If you are using the traditional version you will need to select the vanilla version of the game and activate it, then choose the current version, (after it has finished activating) and activate it again.

I would also recommend starting over again from the start of the game because the save very well might be corrupted also, but you could attempt re-using that save, (which I do not recommend).

Oh, and welcome to the forum!

10. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Yeah, if you use an old corrupt save with a new installation, it will just bring the old corruption to your new game.

11. BDBmuse

BDBmuse Member

Thanks again for the suggestions. I think I resolved the problem; well at least so far...

I tried re-activating the game and still had the problem. And as much as I'm enjoying the game I really didn't want to start over, so I tried old saves hoping to find a recent one that wasn't corrupt and I stumbled onto a solution to my dilemma.

It turns out that it would not crash if certain party members were selected prior to changing levels. If the party lead was the only one selected as I went upstairs from the elemental temple level, no problem. If the second party member was the only one selected when going from the 2nd level to the top temple level, no problem. If the third party member was selected when exiting the temple, no problem. If the fourth party member was selected when going from the temple to Hommlet, no problem. Doing this I was able to get back to Hommlet and I haven't had a problem since.

It's almost like there was a pointer array (or whatever) that was whacked and had to be manually walked through.

Thanks for your help!
    BDB

12. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

Glad you solved the problem but that makes me ask- are any of your party NPC's and if so, where are they located (slot #1, slot #2, etc.)?

13. BDBmuse

BDBmuse Member

There are 3 NPCs (Elmo, Pishella, Ronald) and they are in slots 6, 7, 8.

14. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

That's a very odd thing. Could you upload a save here?

15. crhallen

crhallen Toee addict Supporter

i had same problem on lower level after beating Hedrack. if i selected the entire party to exit the stairs, it would crash. I tried new sequences like above and what worked for me was: select first party member to exit to next level from either stair. go to back entrance toward Falrinth chambers and then i selected the 1st party member again and it worked. i used the first all the way out and it seemed to work all the way to Homlett.

Our Host!