the big dipper - XP penalties, max number of classes, alignment, and save stacking

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by taltamir, Mar 27, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. zugschef

zugschef Established Member

Re: the big dipper - XP penalties, max number of classes, alignment, and save stackin

I can't confirm that.

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Re: the big dipper - XP penalties, max number of classes, alignment, and save stackin

I stand corrected ... but now I know of a cleric that can craft my favorite item. :thumbsup:

3. yangwenli

yangwenli Member

As I am planning to play it, you could also choose a non-human race and choose Ehlonna as well (for elf, half elf, halfling, gnome).

4. phlippy g

phlippy g Member

I've run an archer/ mage. Human (10,18,15,17,11,13). 1st level rogue (point blank shot, precise shot),(2 into spellcraft ,and concentration),and 4 in appraise. 2nd level wizard. 3rd fighter (rapid shot). 4th wizard (18 Int.). 5th fighter (imp. initiative). 6th wizard (spell pen.) 7th rogue. 8th wizard (16 Con). 9th rogue ( gtr. spell pen.). 10th + wizard . I maxed out appraise. Picked and used spells to improve ranged att., personal def., help party, and hinder enemy's. As a secondary wizard later on.

5. sirchet

Does spell penetration and improved spell penetration work correctly in TOEE?

I think I've read about someone saying it didn't.

Has anyone seen a difference in the rolls when using it.

6. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

Running a LN party now and have a human sorcerer that took both of these feats at creation- I'll make a check and let you know (playing 7.8 BTW)...

7. shapecharge

shapecharge Established Member

I checked this a while back, and if I remeber correctly they do work as intended.

8. Corwyn

Corwyn Gnoll Pincushion

Yes, they work as advertised. Overcomes spell resistance by +2, and +2 more respectively, by the dice rolls.

9. sirchet

Sweet!

I had been avoiding that feat thinking it didn't work.

So, improved spell penetration gives a +4 to beating SR? I like it!

10. yangwenli

yangwenli Member

After a bit more testing, it seems that being able to scribe scrolls from spells you can't cast yet is a bug. I read the info on 20 srd as well as the wiki for NWN2 and all the info on ToEE and it sounds like this should not be allowed, but ToEE lets you.

There's still the gold * xp factor which may limit it, but it seems unfair say if you happen upon a lvl 9 spell from a scroll, scribe it to your spellbook, you can cast it similar to a lvl 9 wizard who spent years getting to that spell level after scribing it just once in your spellbook.

I also found another bug with the travel domain I think. At cleric lvl 5, ToEE gives you the haste spell as a domain spell (lvl 5 wizard, spell lvl 3). When you scribe the spell and also have 1 wizard level, the spell seems to only have a duration of 1 round (probably since you are also a lvl 1 wiz...) I didn't test it without wiz levels, but 1 round/lvl as a scroll would be pretty useless for a cleric/wiz.

Also, I decided to restart and try a char with 5 classes now...Here's the breakdown:
    R1 / C1 / W5 / Pa2 / F1

1 Ranger1 - Power Attack / Cleave
    2 Cleric1
    3 Wizard1 - Combat Expertise
    4 Paladin1 - Improved Trip
    5 Paladin2 (must be taken together)
    6 Wizard2 - Combat Reflexes
    7 Wizard3
    8 Wizard4
    9 Wizard5 - Craft Wondrous Item
    10 Fighter1 - Improved Initiative

Ranger to get Plant (Entangle) and Sun (Greater Turning) Domains and 1 favored enemy
    Cleric for cure spells
    Paladin for saves
    Fighter for 1 feat to get Improved Ini
    As much wizard as possible and still get 6BAB and haste spell...

I've noticed clerics don't have much crowd control spells making it hard if you get swarmed while playing with only 1 PC and 3 NPCs.

I passed the Lawful Good vignette and it took a ton of restarts since the 3 bandits had no trouble killing my character with only 9 hps. I also had to buy him the chain shirt and a Glaive from the starting store which I tend to not do and just go with the starting equipment found in the chest...

Just did the spiders solo which was easy with entangle. Should be easier now at lvl 2 with more than 9 hps.

11. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

@yangwenli- my suggestion would have been to take the fighter level first just to get the boost in HP at the start and then follow with your ranger level and then cleric but I guess if you wanted to get Haste you need to start on the wiz levels ASAP. And while clerics don't have great low level crowd control spells (Flame Strike and Holy Smite are definitely great to have) they do have to attack soakers in Spiritual Weapon and Summon Monster- the drawback of course being that Summon Monster 1 monsters aren't worth the spell slot later in the game and Spiritual Weapon is a 2nd level spell- as is Sound Burst, which while not causing a lot of damage does have a chance to stun your foes, which is always helpful... just my 2 cents....:)

12. yangwenli

yangwenli Member

Yeah, I'd prefer to pick Ranger later or even skip it actually if I could, but as a human, you can't pick Ehlonna as your deity unless you're a ranger or druid (if human) and if I started as another class first, I wouldn't be able to go back and change that later.

I think I'll actually change the wiz levels to be before the paladin levels since the spells just offer a ton more flexibility in terms of handling any "situation". With lvl 2 wizard spells, I should be able to make up the lost BAB with Bull's Strength and Heroism at lvl 3 spells. High saves could come later. Now, I'm debating whether to try to see how far I can get maybe with just 1 PC and no NPCs with no reload or keep my 3 NPCs. Nice you get XP so fast without NPCs.

13. sirchet

Yeah I know what you mean.

I'm currently running through with just a Pally and a Monk, (no NPCs) both can heal themselves somewhat, (Pally lays hands and Monk uses Wholeness of Body).

It's tough though, I've had to use every available tactic, obstacle and a lot of LUCK so far.

A monk with great natural armor and improved trip is a lot of fun. ;)

Our Host!