General questions

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by toee_noob, May 2, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. toee_noob

toee_noob Member

As far as I know, a chainmail (medium armor) reduces the speed of a character to 20ft. It also has a maximum of +2 DEX bonus.

Encumbrance on medium load reduces the speed of a character to 20 ft, and the max DEX bonus to +3.

My human cleric is overloaded (encumbrance set to medium) while she is wearing just a set of chainmail, a heavy mace and a shield. Therefore, the list of negative effects will be: walking speed 20ft, max DEX bonus +2. Is that correct or does she lose something else?

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  2. Doggy the Goblin

Doggy the Goblin Member

I'm just reply with SRD 3.5 content. Not sure how the game works exactly:roll:

1)
    A character’s armor defines his or her maximum Dexterity bonus to AC, armor check penalty, speed, and running speed.

In your case, your cleric has +2 dex bonus to AC and a speed of 20ft, with a chainmail.

2)
    Carrying load: Encumbrance by weight

Since your speed is already 20ft, medium load will reduce this 20ft down to 15ft.

3. toee_noob

toee_noob Member

I thought that is how it was supposed to work, but it seems that we are both wrong. The game shows a 20ft speed for the human cleric no matter if she is wearing leather armor or chainmail, as long as her encumbrance is at medium.

Basically it goes like this:
    leather armor and light encumbrance => 30 ft
    leather armor and medium encumbrance => 20 ft
    chainmail and light encumbrance => 20 ft
    chainmail and medium encumbrance => 20 ft

At the same time, the rules of the game (when you click on those blue links) show that your movement speed should be 15ft if you have medium load and 20ft speed.

That is what is bugging me. It seems that ToEE's engine only take in consideration the base movement speed of your race. Can someone confirm this?

Last edited: May 2, 2013
  4. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

The movement rates on ToEE are highly perverse - I am sure that peversity is largely due to the failure to account for different races movement rates - as you say.

My favourite example is the gnome barbarian whose base movement rate is increased from 20 to 30.thanks to Fast Movement.

A gnome barbarian wearing mithral full plate (medium armour) still has a movement rate of 30.

I think the failure to consider medium armour and medium encumberance separately is necessary to allow standard men-at-arms to move in chainmail.

5. toee_noob

toee_noob Member

Can someone explain to me why a 3rd level cleric with the Sun Domain and 12 charisma can cast 4 Greater Turning and 4 Turning Undead in a day?

I know she is supposed to cast 4 Turning Undead due to 3+1 (charisma bonus). I thought that Greater Turning was supposed to use 1 Turning Undead slot, but it doesn't work like that. I was able to cast 8 Turning Undead and 8 Greater Turning in a row by entering and leaving combat with the Extra Turning feat. It just seems so wrong to me. Is it really a bug or not? Is this how it works in the D&D 3.5 PNP?

Apparently there was a thread from the old Atari forums that explained why a cleric of Sun domain could do that, but I couldn't find it.

6. Pygmy

This is a bug in ToEE - Greater Turning is implemented as a separate, similar but more powerful version of Turn Undead.

You can demonstrate this by generating a non-good fighter (for example) and using a single console command to change his/her deity to Old Faith.

Multi-class as cleric

Select ability to use negative energy + Sun domain

You now have a cleric who can rebuke undead and use Greater Turning......

[I feel you may have to consider a name change from noob at some stage]

7. toee_noob

toee_noob Member

Well, this bug seems to make the Sun cleric a tad overpowered against undeads. I wonder if the other players actually impose limits for themselves, considering how popular the Sun domain is.

8. Pygmy

i think the relative power of Greater Turning would depend very much on pcs ability scores, party size and whether the cleric has improved turning.

A high ability score cleric adventuring in a small party will be able to blast most turnable undead out of existence anyway.

9. Abardon

Abardon Member

My limit is not to use clerics.
    They just end up too powerful regardless of domain

10. toee_noob

toee_noob Member

Well, that is a shame.

I'm restarting the game for the third time, changing some things that I didn't like much in my characters, despite only reaching level 3 with them. One of the things that I decided to change was the deity of my cleric, from Pelor to Kord. That way, I wouldn't need to worry about exploiting a bug.

The problem is that when I played the NC version and found the Lich and his minion in Welkwood Bog, I used Greater Turning with my cleric of Pelor. I pulverized them in 1 turn, and fell in love with that ability.

What bugged my mind was the green quote that I pasted here. It was part of the "bug" list compiled by Gaear, and it basically meant that someone had explained why it wasn't a bug. The problem is that I couldn't find the original post.

While doing some research on Google, I accidentally found a Comprehensive Guide to Turning in the Wizards of the Coast forum. There is a very interesting quote about Turning Undead:

And 2 interesting quotes from a thread with a question about Greater Turning:
    From what I understood, there is a class called Radiant Servant of Pelor. This class allows you to use the Greater Turning feat 3+X times a day, X being your Charisma modifier. Every time you use Greater Turning you burn a Turn Undead charge. Also, you can't get extra Greater Turning charges with the Extra Turning feat. So, a cleric with 12 CHA will be able to use Greater Turning 4 times a day.

The problem is that in ToEE, the Extra Turning feat grants you extra Greater Turning charges. The game also doesn't burn your Turn Undead charges. Therefore, the easiest way to avoid the exploit would be to not get the Extra Turning feat and only use Greater Turning.

I guess that now I can add the cleric of Pelor back to my party without feeling bad. ;)

11. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

If I might add sir: if you want to add a new character (because one died or you didn't add the full amount of characters you could have at the start of the game) just go to the desk at either the Welcome Wench in Hommlett or the Waterside Hostel in Nulb and you will be able to access the character creation screen to either add or create a new 1st level character. And of course, you could also choose to NOT take the Sun domain of any deity... :)

12. toee_noob

toee_noob Member

I'm aware of that, but I don't like the idea of having different party members with different levels, although this time I think I'm restarting the game with level 10 cap so I guess it will be fine.

By the way, one of the things that I changed from my characters were the starting feats of the Wizard. I ignored your advice of not picking PBS and Precise Shot because I wouldn't think it would be necessary for a spellcaster, but I soon realized that my wizard didn't have enough spells to control the battlefield at the beginning of the game and depended on his light crossbow to be effective.

---------------
    EDIT:
    I would like to give a quick update about the Radiant Servant of Pelor. Here is the entire description of the class: http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070807

Basically it's a prestige class for the Cleric, meaning that you can't get it at level 1. Some of the requirements are: Prospective members must be neutral good, have access to the Sun domain, +5 base Will saving throw, 5 ranks in Heal, 9 ranks in Knowledge (religion), and Extra Turning (PH 94).

So theorically creating a cleric of Pelor with the Sun domain and being able to cast Greater Turning 3+X times a day at level 1 would be considered an exploit too. At least, with the restrictions that I imposed on my previous post, it would make it a bit less overpowered.

This sucks. ;(

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  13. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

Why not just think of the new character as being exceptional rather than an exploit? You could also impose self restrictions on when to use the Greater Turning ability rather than not make the character you want at all...

14. toee_noob

toee_noob Member

While exploring the Moathouse, I had this "great" idea of giving a Weapon Focus (Heavy Mace) to my Cleric with the "new" Strength & Luck Domains (I restarted plenty of times). It seemed like a "great" idea because, after all, there aren't many magic weapons that she could use without taking a Weapon Proficiency feat or crafting items.

So, after clearing the Moathouse, I decided to go back to Hommlet and check again the price of the +1 Holy Heavy Mace that Calmert sells at the church of Saint Cuthbert. To my surprise, the item was gone. He still sold holy water, healing scrolls, and a scroll of bless, but the mace simply disappeared.

I think that the +1 Holy Heavy Mace is an addition by the Co8 mod, so I would like to know if this is working as intended.

15. zugschef

zugschef Established Member

you might want to look at the HUGE link on top of this site named Game Guide & Walkthrough. you'd be surprised how helpful it is:

that said, weapon focus is a terrible feat, even more so for a cleric.

Our Host!