Boston Marathon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Hugh Manetee, Apr 16, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

Hopefully no one here has been directly affected by the attack in Boston.

Sadly living in London I know what it's like during a bombing campaign.

I'd like to express my deepest sympathy to the victims and their families.

Let's hope the authorities catch those responsible quickly.

2. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

I must have seen a dozen videos from the time of the explosions and the immediate aftermath.

That there were 144 hurt but only 3 lost is because of the police and EMT's that came straight on in spite of the fact that TWO bombs had just gone off (which means more). Many of the civilians didn't leave, but stayed to help until they were replaced by emergency workers.

3. ioannis76

ioannis76 Established Member

My sympathy to the victims and their families. I hope those who did this get caught and pay for this, whether they are inside, or outside the US.

4. maalri

maalri Immortal

My sincerest condolences as well, for anyone hurt by this cowardly and evil action.

5. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

And let's not miss the chance to use this as a very good example of what could be avoided by simple situation awareness.

Don't misunderstand me, I too feel very bad for all involved, but if folks would spend just a few seconds looking at their surroundings much of the problems presented by these acts of cowardice can be prevented.

The duffle bag left unattended exactly at the location of the explosion should have sent up a red flag with someone, anyone, not just authorities.

We all can help prevent these kinds of acts by being attentive and not worrying about being rude for looking at someone longer than they are comfortable with. If you think some thing is amiss, tell someone.

As a side note: I do believe the ones responsible will be found out.

6. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

I agree with Sir Chet that same advice is constantly drummed into us in the UK.

7. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

It was with me when I was in the military- but on a side note- I just now realiuzed what your screen name is a pun of- man am I slow! :blank:

8. ioannis76

As a comment to what sirchet said, I think that the more people there are in an area, the less chance there is for them to actually notice anything in the surroundings, unless they are well trained. It may be due to the many distractions there are (the presence of other people) or some sense of safety when one is among many other people.

Other than that, it was sad to hear of more loss of life, this time in Texas. I would like to express my sympathy to these people, as well.

9. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

The problem with the awareness solution is that there is no 'on' switch. It takes a long time - basically years - of conditioning to become aware subconsciously, which is what we're really talking about. Usually what happens with people who are instructed to raise their awareness (companies host safety seminars and whatnot for their employees, etc.) is that they may consciously think about it for a while, and thus superficiously become more aware, but when they stop thinking about it a week or so later they just regress to their former state of general unawareness. You have to have a reason to stay in that zone, and that usually means having a need to be aware, like a soldier or a police officer who is in greater danger of dying if he/she's not paying attention. That's a real, practical impetus. Average citizen doesn't live under that kind of threat and spends most of their time thinking about mundane things - groceries, kids, work, etc. Not bombs.

10. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

That's a very good point Gaear, but I think with enough practice you can train yourself to usually act in the safest manner.

It's been decades since I was on active duty and yet when I walk in a building I instictually know where the exits are and the general layout of the building.

My wife will joke with me sometimes and ask me little things like how many exits are there, or how many people are in the store.

Once learned and practiced suffienctly these traits can become second nature.

11. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I agree, but the problem comes in learning and practicing. ;)

12. ioannis76

13. Kilraven

Kilraven Chaotic Good Lich

I really do not expect the second terrorist to be captured alive.

While it would be nice and I have faith in our law enforcement's professionalism,
    the terrorist may have other plans.

Edit: Very pleased to have been proven wrong.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  14. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

Bombing and killing is a very sad thing to happen.

15. Rocktoy

Rocktoy Established Member

As an avid supporter of the IRA I never thought I would say this: bombing the Boston marathon was a despicable and cowardly act. Thus I express my most heartedly condolences to the victims and their families.

Nevertheless I must disagree with Sirchet: a duffle bag left alone would be noticed only in an airport or such, not on a sports event. Do not get me wrong, I too have a military training and I am currently on active service (at least till December when the military disbands my company), but we all live under the assumption that nothing will happen on our backyard. I also do notice the nearest exit and the best cover but that not necessarily dictate that I can spot a terrorist threat in home surroundings.

Gaear mentioned the on switch but I would be more worried about the off switch…

Our Host!