Moathouse Huge Viper and Ghoul (not Random Encounter)

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Exaercase, Apr 17, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. Exaercase

Exaercase Member

Hello,

I have a problem (Ver of CO8 Mod 7.7.0 (the same with 7.6.0). In moathouse when do normal encounter (not random on sleep) with creature with to hit effect like paralyse (ghoul) poison (huge Viper) the effect don't trigger on hit. If i sleep near the huge viper and have an random encounter with a huge viper that work correctly.

Someone have the same problem ?

Thx in advance for any help

ExA

2. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Established Member Supporter

Isn´t the huge snake in the Moathouse a constrictor snake that has no poison instead of a viper?

3. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

It is a viper (always used to be), and indeed he doesn't poison. The ghouls don't paralyse either.

4. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

If I'm reading his statement correctly he seems to be saying that when he uses the spell Ghoul's Touch on the huge snake nothing happens, but if he rests near the snake the spell works as it should- or am I misreading this?

5. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I thought he was saying that when the huge viper attacked he wasn't experiencing a chance to be poisoned by the viper and like wise for the ghoul and it's paralyzing touch attack.

6. andysks

andysks Member

i think he said that sometimes it works sometimes not depending if he sleeps at the spot. I can"t remember though if the Viper actualy poisons .

7. maalri

maalri Immortal

The Snake (Viper) IS supposed to poison and the Ghouls are supposed to paralize (obviously).

I don't remember the whether the snake poisoned on my last run through, but I DO remember the Ghouls not paralizing my party. I had chalked it up to lucky saving throws, but now that I think about it they did hit me a few times and I couldn't have been that lucky. I am going to bet that those two encounters are broken in some way.

I am playing 7.6 right now, so it has to have been since then.

8. Corwyn

Corwyn Gnoll Pincushion

I've never seen Ghoul paralyzation (the monsters, not the spell) ever work, no matter where they are located (moathouse, temple, or random encounter). The "constrictor" snake in the moathouse does inject poisen quite effectively, however, if I fail the saving throw.

9. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

I've been paralyzed by ghouls and ghasts before, but usually work to avoid letting them in melee.

10. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

The snake in the Moathouse is a 'huge viper' that does indeed have a poison attack; the ghouls in the dungeon do have paralysis (that doesn't work on elves) and cause disease.

11. Corwyn

Corwyn Gnoll Pincushion

Now I remember, the Giant Constrictor snake is in the Moathouse of the original pnp module, with a jeweled dagger (800 gp value) in its nest. The Giant Viper is toee.

Are half-elves also immune to the ghoul touch/paralyzation? I tried testing it, and it appears the 'paralyzation' effect doesn't occur with every ghoul hit... or else the gods are simply merciful to my solo characters.
    It's not a big deal, because I usually have Free Action after the moathouse, so I never worry about ghouls in the temple or random encounters. Just curious.

12. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Remember that a paralyzing attack will merely take your actions away in battle,(empty action bar) the character will appear normal when out of battle.

They will however, have a blue box under their portrait signifying paralyzation.

13. Exaercase

Exaercase Member

Hello,

Ok, i've read and do some test and verification :

In moathouse it's a VIPER i've just verifity.

I Verify all the on hit effect of STATIC monster not random encounter do the same (not work)

I 've do many test near the VIPER sleep many time and all the random encounter do the On hit effect moreover i even encounter on sleep Huge VIPER and their on HIT work but none of the static encounter

Trap encounter (just after stair when you encounter many zombi in normal version 2 slim drop on ground and attack you by surprise (and certainly by a PY script)) don't work either.

I have verify all the on hit effect in the proto.tab in data folder and the viper, ghoul, ... have it and again it's only the static encounter that bug not the sleep encounter so it's normal that the proto are correct either all the encounter of this type of monster could'nt work.

Finally i ve desactiveted the Co8 mod and reacitvate the normal version of TOEE in TFE-X and do the same test, all the static encounter this time work correctly poisson, paralyse, ... the slim surprise attack work they appears in time you attack the zombi

I have test also the last version of Cà8 mod (7.8.0) and that don't work neither.

If you want to test all of it it's realy very easy and quick : start new game in chaotic good with fighter/barbarian (more easy for the combat in moathouse) when you arrive in the town go in map and go in north no go just in bottom and left of the screnn (very near) speak black jay and you go with this conversation in moat house. the sanke is near the entrance of moat house the slim bug is near the down stair the ghoul are near the zombi in the secret entrance in the collumn.

there no other place to post bug in the forum for the Co8 developer ?

Thx in advance and sorry for my very bad english

14. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

There are small, medium, large, and huge vipers in the game. The one is question is, specifically, a huge viper.

deadly viper.jpg

I've verified that the poison attack doesn't seem to function for whatever reason, so I simply replaced the huge viper with another one and now it works fine. For some reason, the Moathouse seems to be susceptible to random mob corruption like this. Co8 never went in and disabled that particular viper's poison. The poison function is hardcoded AFAIK. It just happens (or doesn't, as the case may be).

I can't confirm this one. It works fine for me in v7.8.

jelly.jpg

As for Moathouse ghouls, I confirmed they weren't poisoning either, replaced them, and they too work fine now. (At least my uber test characters were making fortitude saves against them.)

15. Exaercase

Exaercase Member

Hello,

First very much thx for you time past on the problem.

So for you the problem will be only in the moathous. If it's the case i'll begin the adventure for now and let this problem on moathouse on the side.

But just a last question i don't understand why when i activated the normal ToEE module all this two problem don't appears (that work fine for the huge viper and the ghoul) and the problem appears only when (7.6 7.7 7.8) Co9 mod is active ?

Once again thx for your time and if there are not solution and the problem is only in moathouse the game will be playable.

Bye ExA

Our Host!