A Very Simple Guide to Patching

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Zebedee, May 14, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

(Morpheus thread is very good but it has now spammed up a little so I've started this one to also reflect Livonya's patch). Please don't fill the thread with: "but you don't need that if you patch that" comments. The following instructions give you the initial stable environment most modders are building on.

Step 1. Install ToEE.

Step 2. Download Atari 2 (not 1, not 3 but 2.).

Step 3. Run the Atari 2.exe program.

Step 4. Download Co8.

Step 5. Run Co8.exe

Step 6. Download Moebius.dll

Step 7. Extract Moebius.dll to the correct location (which will be wherever ToEE is on your HD - if you are doing it right you'll get the option box to write over existing files).

This is your basic set up.

I'd strongly recommend downloading the latest version of Livonya's mod and following her instructions for installing it. Livonya's mod will need to be installed over this basic set up.

Links courtesy of Morpheus thread:

Here are the currently recommended mods & patches, in order of installation:

1. Official Patch 2: http://www.atari.com/us/support/dl...._ANY-PATCH2.EXE
    (Local mirror: http://www.co8.org/files/patch/TOEE_USA_ANY-PATCH2.EXE)

2. Circle of Eight mod pack 3.04 (unzip and run .exe): http://home.rochester.rr.com/hold4n...ixes_V3-0-4.zip
    (Local mirror: http://www.co8.org/files/patch/ToEE...ixes_V3-0-4.zip)

3. Fixes by moebius2778 (unzip to your ToEE directory): http://www.jadri.com/temple.zip
    (Local mirror: http://www.co8.org/files/patch/temple.zip)

Last edited: May 19, 2005
  2. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

do you need moebius' dll if you get liviona's crack? I followed this exactly, but got livs instead of moebios'

3. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Just follow the order posted if you are new.

(I explained why I recommend this order in the post taltamir - yes, Livonya's patch includes Moebius, but this is how to patch for the initial basic setup. And you can just add Livonya's mod straight over the top. Why complicate things if someone doesn't want to use Livonya's mod but does want to get a patched basic game?)

4. taltamir

Firstly, bump.

Anyhoo, I know. I just wanted to know if it includes it... speaking of which...

Isn't it about time moebius patch was combined into the official co8 patch?
    it can be v3.1 (while 4 is still being worked on) and just be the v 3.0.4 files with the moebius files extracted over them and overwritten when needed.

I'd do it myself, but I don't have file posting rights.

Last edited: May 15, 2005
  5. Rook Hudson

Rook Hudson Member

One simple patch for everything ?

I'd like to see it happen that one day all these patches and modifications are all contained in one simple to download patch, that automatically downloads what you need, writes to, and over whatever needs to be written to or over, and with one click, gives you TOEE in its 'final' best form. One simple click.

Is this possible one day ? Is it likely to happen ? It would be good if it did, I think. Simple is always best. One click to change everything for the better.

At the moment the more I read about the patches and mods the more confusing it looks. Perhaps I'm getting ... no I won't say it.

Please, somebody, put all these things together into one patch that does everything, even deleting Atari's 3rd patch if present if required.

One simple click ...

6. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

There's no way we could include one of the official patches in our own mod pack, for copyright reasons. However, I plan to release a patch that includes everything from Co8 3.04, moebius' stuff and Liv's mod and comes with an easy-to-use installer. You might have to click three or four times, though.

7. Drifter

Drifter Established Member

And why is that? Theoretically speaking, disassembling and hexing program executables and then making them available on the web (moebius's temple.dll) actually breaks the copyright in much more severe way. So if you're fine with that, I see no reason why you should be against including all files from official patch in your mod. For convenience sake.

8. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

Sorry, but that's not gonna happen. End of discussion.

9. taltamir

its a common misconception, federal law specifically ALLOWS this.
    In the usa the power of law goes as following:
    Federal Constitution > Federal Law > State Constitution > State Law > Micro governments (school disctricts) & Legally Binding Contracts.

The Eula, which is a sorta legally binding contract forbids you from doing it, however, it is lower on the power scale then federal law which means it is invalid. (ever heard the "only if valid in your state or country" segment?).
    Basically this means that its there MAINLY to scare people into not doing it. Also, if the federal law ever changes it will no longer protect people from breaking the contract, and there is a small chance that it will be accepted in some foreign country and that people there could not do so.

Our Host!