D&D "Negroes"

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by taltamir, May 12, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Even after that friendly one offered you a leg of elf to chew on?

2. ordinaryjones

ordinaryjones Established Member

My father was a bugbear, so having to kill loads of them throughout the game has always bothered me. I think a lot of people overlook the fact that most bugbears are driven by society to eat children and raid villages, it's what everyone expects of them. As a child I would bring friends home from school for a sleep over, always having to convince them beforehand my dad wouldn't club them or anything, only to find them mostly eaten in the morning. My father always denied being involved, and I never actually saw him eat them, but I would always blame him anyway. It caused a rift between us, and he died without us ever having resolved the issue. I found out later through my mother (a ng elven wizard) that he had indeed been killing and eating my friends.

taltamir likes this.
  3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Sounds like we need a bugbear oprah or bill cosby to tell them to take some responsibility in their lives and stop blaming everyone else for their child-munching ways - because until they own their problems, nothing will alter...

To change, you have to first want to change. And by the way Mr Jones, those girl scout cookies i gave you were NOT made with real girl scouts...

4. Diabl0s

Diabl0s Member

"There is no spoon.... but there is a fork HAH! DIE agent Smith!!'

5. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Hmmm....

Were your friends evil?

8^)

6. Rook Hudson

Rook Hudson Member

No room for real world 'races' in TOEE

I'd love to know, by looking at someone, how one can tell that a people is 'semetic' (should be semitic) in description. Is it the stereotypical big nose that gives it away, or the skull cap, or what ? I don't think that any TOEE fantasy created human or humanoid race can be described as semitic. What's next: are we going to say some other TOEE 'race' looks germanic' in description (or should I say 'aryan') ? Are we then going to say the 'germanic' looking races are better ('superior') to the 'semitic' looking races ? C'mon.

The fantasy world is best when the peoples in it, even if they are human, are pure fantasy, not tied to any real world people, or race. Saying some particular fantasy people looks 'semitic' in description is troubling on so many levels. It's best to avoid such real world comparisons I think, best for nearly everyone concerned, best for the future of fantasy role-playing games.

7. ordinaryjones

ordinaryjones Established Member

That was back before I knew any spells, and my school was all elves, half elves and humans (except me of course), so there was no way for me to check anyones alignment.

Why, perhaps you are wondering, would my neutral good mother stand idly by while my father clobbered and ate defenseless children... love does funny things I guess.

8. Lord_Spike

I'm thinking...

...that they must've been evil, or else mom's alignment wouldn't have remained NG for very long. For all his strange appetites, pop must've tended towards good...

Wait a minute...does he have blue fur?

9. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

If inaction is evil, then over 99% of the people in the world today are evil.

10. Lord_Spike

What's the quote...

...Evil thrives when good men do nothing.

11. lexb123

lexb123 Member

Wow...

Taltamir I have absolutely no idea what you are talking about. Black elves? Hmm do you mean Drow or Dark Elves? Black dwarves? Do you mean the Duergar? I have never seen any of these be called as a Black Elf or a Black Dwarf. It does describe them as being dark skinned. Oh, btw one of the most beloved and talked about D&D character is black. I for one can’t stand when our people start with all that black power crap. Are we not past all of this? What you are once again saying is that white people are bigots. My best friend is white and I have never had to deal with racism. Hell, my girl is white! So please stop with all this utter crap and just have fun. Even if the guy was a bigot, which I highly doubt, it’s just a game! Go do something else if you do not like it.

12. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

If you read the rest of my posts, you would have known that I TOO can't stand all that "black power" crap, its almost as bad as "gurrrl power" or "wymin power" (I used to hear wymon, but that sounded too much like a pokemon so people stopped using it).
    Your friend is white? that makes you an expert? Well, I am white myself too, what does it make me? Besides, I never said WHITE people are biggoted, you see, there is no such thing as "white people", a common skin color does NOT make people of the same STRAIN of humanity (but thats a common misconception). I was talking about Gygax and his buddies, and them alone!

Anyways, this was a matter of curiosity. And whatever inclinations the authors had don't really matter as long as it does not impact the quality of their game.

Last edited: May 19, 2005
Our Host!