stat enhance scrolls and crafting

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by speedy, Mar 7, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. speedy

speedy Member

I am again annoyed with that game. I have 6 level party. I have enough gold and want to craft some items with wizard. Now, how can I get stat enhance spells like bears endurance, bulls strange or cats grace?

I know following options:
    1. Get them when leveling up.
    I dont use this kind of spells. I only buff before really hard fight and use druids scrolls in this rare case for me. I get spells which I found useful any time. Anyway, I am now level 6 so its too far.
    2. Use copy scroll.
    Ok, I created this scrolls with druid, but as I found, I cant copy them from other classes.
    3. Use npc wizard from inn or other to create them.
    I dont use npcs in my party. I play only 5 pcs, get more xp and found npcs useless many times (low level and lack of their develepment) so have to skip their turns. He is level 1 so I should go to get some xp with him and not sure what spells he will get anyway.
    4. Buy from vendors.
    Yea, that would be grate, but where? I have access to Hommlet and Nulb. The only place with general scroll source is Burnes assistant, but he doesnt sell this kind of scrolls. Ok, there should be someone at verbobonc, but you can go there only at level 10 and when you will complete some things as far as I remember.
    5. Why not craft with druid?
    Druid has already feat for magic arms crafting to relieve wizard and also as a class, has no bonus feats in future. I believed that wizard will be better crafter, because of possibility to learn what you need from scrolls (or at leveling)

So, what can I do?
    I am really disappointed with scroll vendors.
    I have enough gold to create some of these items and probably at least the only way is to use console and create these scrolls?

2. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

In the short term your solution is to pick up Spugnoir from the Welcome Wench - he is level 2 (1000XPS) - nurse him to 3000XPS [this will occur very quickly in level 6 party]

Choose say bulls strength and cat's grace at 3rd level then scribe scrolls and pass to your wizard.

Advance Spugnoir to 4th level for eagle's splendour and owl's wisdom

Boot Spugnoir out of party.

Fox's cunning is available in Nulb

All my full spellcasters choose craft wondrous items at level 3 to share the XP pain....

3. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

What spells do you want to take on levelling? Take enhancements and buy fireball/ stinking cloud etc from merchants instead. Craft with your Druid.
    Personally I feel that the widespread availability of magic scrolls for sale in 3.5 is a major contributor to wizards being overpowered in the game. Instead of being a major choice that limits your ability to do something else, choice of spells becomes trivial if you can buy what you want cheaply next time you visit the local one-horse town.

4. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

Sorry- above not intended to be as critical sounding as it looks on reading back.
    First bits were genuine suggestions as to how you might go about things- Pishella does sell fireball, though not sure abt stinking cloud.
    Second bit was old git grumbling and not intended to be personal criticism.

5. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

To correct the OP: You cannot copy scrolls when they are scribed by divine classes, such as Clerics and Druids. It works fine to copy scrolls from another wizard, sorcerer, or bard (provided the bard spell scribed is on the wizard spell list).

Be very careful if you decide to use the console; the mod development team basically washes their hands of any problems that come about by doing so. Not telling you not to do it, I use the console a lot, just be very careful. If you make a mistake, such as creating the wrong item code, then you should reload your game from before the mistake before proceeding.

All that being said, if you're going to give yourself, for example, a free Bull's Strength scroll, then I recommend buying a different 2nd level scroll from Burne in his tower, and "destroying" it (aka drop it on some random map so that it is lost forever, or cast it in some useless manner). This way, it feels like you paid for the scroll, and less like cheating.

My personal opinion on the matter is that if wizards have limited access to spells then you might as well be playing a sorcerer.

6. speedy

speedy Member

Thats what I was thinking about. I cheked a price of level 2 spells. Its 190 gp per scroll in my case. So I will leave in some way required amount of gp.
    My heroes are a little weaker anyway, cause I decided to create them with advanced stats (not good rolls in basic mode), so thats how I explain this simplification to myself.
    The problem is that you have to do research of available scrolls to buy at each level, to know how to choose spells when leveling up. The good thing is that this information can be found in Co8 guide which is posted on this official forum.
    As for some kind of criticism, its ok. I have learned that everyone has its own view, and its some kind of rpg, so we not always choose specified well known best ways. We give a try our own visions.

7. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

In terms of research, you might find the spell spreadsheet I made useful; it puts the information from the walkthrough thread in an more easily accessible format. You should be able to see what spells can be bought, and which ones can be found. http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?p=121453#post121453 Post 14.

8. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Also the Walk-through gives you the location of the scrolls being sold.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2013
  9. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

True; though, as I mentioned in the previous post, I incorporated all of the information about arcane spell scrolls (including location; neither my spreadsheet nor the walkthrough thread mentions cost) from that walkthrough into a spreadsheet, which is honestly easier to reference if you're only interested in spell information, since you can sort by things like spell level for a given casting class.

That being said, the walkthrough has a plethora of information on other topics as well.

If you're curious about cost, for a given scroll it's equal to:

(Spell level x casting level x 25 + material component cost) * Appraise factor. In gold pieces, of course.

Material component cost is stuff like the 100gp for identify, or the cost of stoneskin (which I think is 500, but I could be wrong). Most spells do not have a material component cost.

Casting level, by default, is the lowest character level at which the spell can be cast. e.g. 5 for fireball. This also determines the level at which the spell will be cast when using the scrolls. There may be scrolls in the game with a caster level higher than this minimum, but I'm uncertain. I don't think there are.

Appraise factor depends on your appraise skill, with a minimum value of 1.03 (3% surcharge)

Base costs for various spell levels then, without material component costs or appraise factor, are:

1: 25
    2: 150
    3: 375
    4: 700
    5: 1125
    6: 1650
    7: 2275
    8: 3000
    9: 3825

10. speedy

speedy Member

Hm, wizard level 7 cant see barkskin scroll at copy scroll, other worked fine. Any ideas?

11. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

Barkskin is not a wizard spell, so you won't be able to copy it, or learn it, period. Druids are the only ones that can craft Amulets of Natural armor, because they are the only ones who learn barkskin.

Well, technically Rangers do at high enough level.

Again, you can check out the spreadsheet I linked to see what is, and what is not, a wizard spell.

12. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

I've posted a new version of the spreadsheet in that thread just now, which includes the item codes for each spell. Note that for whatever reason (seems to be a bug) Owl's Wisdom is always created as a divine spell, so you won't be able to copy that to your spellbook if you create it via the console.

Our Host!