its seems i'm not the only one who has noticed the sharp difficulty curve. (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by sundog, Feb 20, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. sundog

sundog Member

Re: its seems i'm not the only one who has noticed the sharp difficulty curve. (SPOIL

welll call me old fashioned but yes i do like a good black and white epic tale of good and evil, i get grey and ambiguity everyday in the real world thanks, for once i'd like to identify the bad guys and fight them good against bad, black on white like all good tales and legends from before history was even written and only remembered and passed down through teaching.
    Btw if you think fantasy games should reflect the mundane real world, well thats opposite to the point of having a *fantasy* world surely :p
    Its was nice to meet a tough fight i agree most of the CRPG games are far too easy because they have to accommodate so many class and race choices...but its tough enough without the the annoying mind control , can someone tell me why she can even do that?

Thanks again to CO8....i think volunteer freelance modders are a breath of fresh air and the future of innovation in the gaming world.

"Sword meet evil.....EVIL MEET SWORD!" (Minsc, BG2, Irenicus fight)

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  2. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

Re: its seems i'm not the only one who has noticed the sharp difficulty curve. (SPOIL

I'm not sure I follow your objections. If you are playing LG (or other good alignment), you aren't being punished with the NC. LE Hextor sets his pet on you and his followers call you a rat? Bring it on, Tyrant scumbag. Wishy washy Pelorites a bit sniffy about your refusal to play good neighbours along with them? Well perhaps killing apparently Lawful cultists in town isn't the most Lawful of LG activities, but there's no comeback.
    Once you get to high enough level, if you are LG then any powerful bad guys who come you way are a reward, not a punishment (at least in a game..)

3. sundog

sundog Member

I usually play NG or CG....not lawful and i think you misunderstood me, i just think the Verbobonc quests are a little one sided, i didn't feel like much of a hero afterwards unlike NWN2 that atleast makes you feel like you are special and your Character/s is a cut above the rest...i felt like joe average and the evil guys were all godlike....like i said, typical evil character player, Dungeon Master Quests. They do say every good deed doesn't go unpunished, definitely applies here lol.

Also Hextor's pet gets unleashed, well i saved Pelor's priest so where is Pelor's pet to come help me...the God's and Goddess's take a very active role in Greyhawk and The Forgotten Realms and the good Gods are just as active in the world of mortals as the evil ones. Example, Iuz kills half your party on level 4 of the temple, Cuthbert poofs in and stops him, nuff said.

4. Al Ronnfeldt

Al Ronnfeldt Member

D&D can be an uber-deadly game. Most of the time, I think that they took it easy on us; it could have been a lot worse. Most of the time, enemy spell casters just cast wimpy spells like Sound Burst at us; a barrage of Fireballs or Hold Persons could create multiple TPKs. Gygax designed the game so that only PCs get the strong magic, but that does not make any sense in a game world.

5. Al Ronnfeldt

Al Ronnfeldt Member

Also, if I had to choose, I would prefer something too hard than too easy. I am really getting bored with these new games that just tell you what to do every step of the way. Game companies try to maximize profits by making games so easy a twelve year old with an IQ of 80 will still buy the game. I miss the old days of Tex Murphy, Monkey Island, Seventh Guest, Alone in the Dark, King's Quest, Maniac Mansion, Soul Reaver ...

6. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

Fair enough. Bear in mind though that whereas the DM killing off the party on a whim with overpowered foes means starting again, in a cRPG you can have another go. I guarantee that if you can win Monster Mash, you can kill the Gremlich; perhaps Pelor knows this! Likewise, you can defeat the Slavers despite their sneaky tricks.

7. sundog

sundog Member

i agree with that Al 100%

and Night yeah good point ...maybe he already knows, I like it! lol
    I did defeat the Gremlich btw, it was pretty easy in the end once you figure it out...i just gave up when i hit the Slave Traders as my Morale at that point was low from not being able to finish other stuff like rescuing the children...i ran around the sewers for days lol

8. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Are you aware of the Maniac Mansion remake being done by Edison Interactive and soon to be released for free?

Here's a peek ... Maniac Mansion 2 aka Night of the Meteor.

9. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

About the slavers: Stinking Cloud is your friend :) It usually paralyses both the cleric & the sorceress.

10. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

Will you still be able to microwave the hamster? :thumbsup:

11. zugschef

zugschef Established Member

cast stinking cloud, then cloudkill. watch them die.
    (this is actually the way to win 90% of the game.)

12. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

I've just completed the second battle in the AoH reaching 5th level- but of my 3 magic using characters (cleric, wizard and sorcerer) only the wizard gets the Feat option- shouldn't the other 2 get that as well? (I really want Craft Wondrous Items at this level...):confused::scratchhe

Edit- just found a mention in the crafting thread mentioning that only wizards get this at 5th level- all other magic users need to reach 6th level- color me embarrassed...

13. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

*whips out his trusty crayon* Was that orange or yellow? :p

14. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Just don't whip out the pink crayon.

15. Al Ronnfeldt

Al Ronnfeldt Member

No, I wasn't. I'll go look it up. I did see that the folks who did the original Wasteland were setting up Wasteland 2 on Kickstarter.

Our Host!