Domains

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Shiningted, Feb 13, 2013.

Remove all ads!
?

What Domains do you generally use? (Click all that apply).

Poll closed Apr 14, 2013.
  1. Air

3 vote(s)
    7.1%
  2. Animal

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. Chaos

7 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Death

10 vote(s)
    23.8%
  5. Destruction

7 vote(s)
    16.7%
  6. Earth

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
  7. Evil

7 vote(s)
    16.7%
  8. Fire

11 vote(s)
    26.2%
  9. Healing

15 vote(s)
    35.7%
  10. Knowledge

3 vote(s)
    7.1%
  11. Law

16 vote(s)
    38.1%
  12. Luck

12 vote(s)
    28.6%
  13. Magic

7 vote(s)
    16.7%
  14. Plant

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  15. Protection

9 vote(s)
    21.4%
  16. Strength

26 vote(s)
    61.9%
  17. Travel

6 vote(s)
    14.3%
  18. Trickery

8 vote(s)
    19.0%
  19. Water

5 vote(s)
    11.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Goshi3156

Goshi3156 Dire Badger

Yeah if anything the Cleric is a jack of all trades. Support magic, offensive magic, reasonable bulk, good melee offense... the Cleric is a walking Swiss Army Knife.

Healing is certainly their primary role though. Since it is the one thing they do better than any other class. You could have a Druid do it but they can't spontaneously cast the Cure Wounds spells like a Cleric can.

Ugh, forgot about the Death domain. The domain power is amazing as is it's spell selection.

2. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

I recall reading about NE clerics of Odad Hai (sorry about earlier spelling) getting to rebuke undead instead of turn - did this prove unrealisable?

3. J'allan UlDragos

J'allan UlDragos Dragon Warrior

Death domain IS awesome! i have only tried it out on a limited basis, as i almost never experiment with Evil builds ... but their "Death Touch' (IIRC the name) ability is incredible, and is almost like a assassin prestige class ability, if there was one. Decent Domain spells too! same with Destruction domain spells. those are pretty awesome too.

Yeah, evil Clerics can Rebuke (Command) undead ... though this can lead to some mildly buggy situations, and once you run out of skellies you might have to trigger some random encounters to try to get more ... I usually saved Emridy Meadows large supply of skeletons to keep a good amount of undead servants to rebuke and cart around. They are not very powerful, but it IS a neat ability to have a warband of commanded skeletons follow your cleric around.

The bugs? if you have ALOT of commanded skeletons, the party formation gets pretty hard to set-up. they stick around till they die, and every time you rebuke undead, there's a chance you'll get MORE of them. might be more complications as well, as i only played that evil cleric for a few levels... but it was kinda fun to have my own personal army.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2013
  4. J'allan UlDragos

J'allan UlDragos Dragon Warrior

True Neutral or Chaotic Neutral or Lawful Neutral (i think) clerics get to choose Turn OR Rebuke, one time. Once the Turn Undead ability is set, they can't change it.

5. Pygmy

Neutral clerics (who are neither good nor evil) who worship similarly aligned deities can choose to turn or rebuke as you say - evil clerics of these deities automatically rebuke.

My point is that at present all clerics of Obad Hai TURN UNDEAD AUTOMATICALLY REGARDLESS OF ALIGNMENT.

6. chano

chano Established Member

I think there is one called Sun which enables greater turning, i use that and strenght i believe when i choose Pelor.
    Otherwise i use fire and water to repel fire/water creatures.

7. maalri

maalri Immortal

Well don't I feel sheepish! But then, who reads all of Ted's messages anyway? The get so boring after just a few sentences... :poke:

Strength, Luck, and Fire are my other main ones, and I have voted appropriately.

Sorry for missing that Ted.

8. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Meh, I never assume people read all my ramblings.
    See what I mean ;)

Now, what about Travel??? Freedom of Movement and Survival as a class skill - don't the Soloists use that?

EDIT:
    IF so, that contradicts the PHB and the manual and is a bug, yes.

2nd EDIT: What Domain power does 'Animal' grant? I can't see it giving 'speak with animals' in ToEE.

9. Abardon

Abardon Member

Glad to see I'm not the only one who uses plant, animal, and water.
    But honestly animal could probably be thrown out. Nothing too exciting gained in that domain

10. Kilraven

Kilraven Chaotic Good Lich

Which Diety has Travel as one of its available domains ?

Obviously not one I've had a cleric of. :no:

While I play rather fast and loose with the other classes Dieities, with the clerics not so much.

Found the luck domain in one of the 'goof off' party builds.:yes:

Is there a listing of domains per diety available? ( If someone says there's one in the game PDF I'm going to be quite embarassed.)

edit.
    OK, There is a list in the PDF, Fharlanghn , Neutral , domains: luck, protection & travel.

Or my joy, Olidarmma, god of thieves (look him up :p)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2013
  11. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Only Fharlanghn gets Travel. Pity.

Animal is completely borked in ToEE: the database says all it gets is Knowledge (Nature) as a class skill. Fat lot of good that is in ToEE! On a happier note, though, when activated all those sorts of skills do automatically kick in, so in KotB, this will be of use, as will Disguise for Trickery etc.

The Strength spells are a pain - its all the Bigby's (TM) Hand stuff. None of that will work in ToEE :no:

12. shapecharge

shapecharge Established Member

I believe all clerics of Obad-Dai turn undead regardless of Alignment and all Clerics of Wee-Jass (sp), rebuke undead regardless of alignment. Those two are the exception to the rule for Neutral clerics of neutral gods being able to choose..I believe this is directly out of the RAW so thus is not broken.

13. Pygmy

The RAW on page 33 of the PHB are

"All lawful neutral clerics of Wee Jas (goddess of death and magic) convert prepared spells into inflict spells, not cure spells. All clerics of St Cuthbert (god of retribution) and all nonevil clerics of Obad-Hai (god of nature) convert prepared spells to cure spells, not inflict spells."

My previous request for NE clerics of Obad-Hai to rebuke rather than turn undead is entirely consistent with the above.

(Incidently the idea of LG clerics of Wee Jas - I believe LG paladins of Wee Jas also are possible in PnP* - rebuking undead into servitude is mindboggling......)

*Remember the dreaded Ruby Knight Vindicator

14. shapecharge

shapecharge Established Member

I stand corrected, Pygmy I was just going off the top of my head..alas I have given all my DnD materials to my son. So cannot reference anything to confirm anymore.

15. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

Hah, those are exactly the ones I use the least... Prolly cause I'm more of an Evil player :p

Our Host!