Shops not restocking

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Rudy, Feb 15, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

Except for good ole reliable Brother Smith, that is.

I'm playing 7.6. Is there anything that one should have to do, besides let time pass, for the other shops to restock? I've waited for months in game item, and no dice. I suppose this has something to do with the automatic timer that was played on the shopkeepers, which would explain why Brother Smith is not having problems.

2. Abardon

Abardon Member

I never knew shops restocked, or at least I didn't know that was a working feature.
    I would say let time pass, go to a different town, and rest there. Or perhaps pass time in another town, then go back to wherever it is you wanted to shop at. I'd guess the time needed to restock is about a month.

3. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

Nah; there's supposedly something added by the mod that forces the shopkeepers to restock at a pre-determined interval. For some, one day, for others, one week. It worked fine in my last playthrough, but seems not to be in this one. Nevertheless, I did try all the things that you mention.

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Brother Smythe restocks automatically because he is on the main map. I bet Mother is too.

Otherwise not sure what to say if none of the others are respawning....

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

*sigh* I'll have a look. Magical Mystery ToEE ... :no:

6. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

Further testing indicates that there are three indoor shopkeepers who are now restocking: Calmert, Jinnerth & Lodriss. An odd trio, certainly. In Nulb & Hommlett, no others are restocking (including Glora).

EDIT: Using the weird trick found here:

http://www.co8.org/forum/showpost.php?p=99688&postcount=4

I got Armario to restock. Funny fellow. Very particular about his doors. Perhaps he's suffering from OCD?

EDIT2: The same trick works for Nira, oddly. That is, entering through the east door after a rest.

I tried similar things with Burne's assistant, namely resting in the dungeon for a week, then coming back upstairs, but no dice.

I don't have access to Verbonac yet, though I plan to push through, so I'll let you know if there is anything else that seems useful. If this requires a restarted game to fix, that will wait til 7.7, I think.

7. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

8. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Well as I said, its the ones on the world map who will refresh: so Otis did, until his shop was moved indoors.

Also, it sounds like you are just standing there waiting. I realise you are testing, but I think you are more likely to get results if you play your normal game. Then if the 'trick' is to go onto an outdoor map between spawns, or rest in a green area, or whatever bizarro thing the engine is looking for, you will do it seamlessly.

9. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

I pretty much done my testing, but I'll check back periodically to see if I can isolate anything.

I'm not going to suffer too much here; I've got a party stocked with crafters, so I'm not going to be short of desired items, or anything, and I already got the masterwork stuff I wanted from Ah Fong. I was testing partly to see if I could give you any useful information that would help you fix it. If I just resume playing, and then it suddenly works, well, I will have no idea what it was, and thus no idea what to tell you.

10. Gaear

Okay I'm checking all of them and will post my findings here as they come in. Fresh game with 7.6. Also using a map change between checks, which is of course necessary.*

1. Calmert - works, refreshes after 1 day.
    2. Jinnerth - works, refreshes after 1 week.
    3. Armario - works, refreshes after 1 week.
    4. Masterwork Armario - works, refreshes after 1 week.
    5. Jakk Borton - works, refreshes after 1 week.
    6. Burne's assistant - works, refreshes after 1 day.
    7. Otis' assistant - works, refreshes after 1 week.
    8. Screng's assistant - works, refreshes after 1 week.
    9. Nira Melubb - works, refreshes after 1 day.
    10. Masterwork Bing - works, refreshes after 1 week.
    11. Gremag - works, refreshes after 1 day.
    12. Rannos Davl - works, refreshes after 1 day.
    13. Glora Gundigoot - works, refreshes after 1 hour.

[undone edit] ... okay, I think I see where this is going. The respawns work. That's not to say that you're hallucinating Rudy, but clearly something has gone wrong between you downloading the mod and where you're at now. That could be any number of things (ToEE is finicky) and most likely means you would be best off starting a new game, but one culprit that is unlikely is the scripting for the respawns itself, being as it is generally not contingent upon complex scenarios and variables. Basically it just says "if random NPC x hasn't respawned his inventory yet, respawn it, and keep respawning it in the defined time period (1 day, 1 week, whatever)." That's about it. The only way that would fail is if the NPC stopped getting his first heartbeats or something like that, which is not scripted but would also not be something too far off the mark for wacky ToEE to randomly decide to do itself.

* Actually according to my own remarks, this is not necessary.

11. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Gaear, what door were you using for the Traders (since it seems to matter)? I've gone multiple days between restockings for Rannos and Gremag.

12. Gaear

I used both doors and it worked the same.

The door thing actually does not matter - what that appears to have an affect on is the worldmap-like respawning. e.g. Brother Smyth respawns without assistance because he is on a worldmap location (Hommlet exterior), whereas others on non-worldmap locations generally do not. However, once in a while a non-worldmap located NPC may respawn 'naturally' depending on the door used, etc. These respawns have nothing to do with our scripted respawns.

13. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Ah, OK. Thanks, Gaear!

14. Rudy

Rudy Established Member

Hmm. The restocking seemed to work fine in my first playthrough with the current download. Still, I do appreciate that it seems to be something that's not fixable from your perspective. Having debugged a fair amount of code in my life, I can appreciate a case of too many variables.

I'll keep playing my current game, I think, and wait for 7.7.0 to do a fresh install/restart.

Thanks for your consideration.

Our Host!