The Animal Companion Problem

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Gaear, Jan 30, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. J'allan UlDragos

J'allan UlDragos Dragon Warrior

Personally, if you are able to achieve this, i think that would be a wonderful solution!

Maybe 2 more variables, if possible? is there one to cause the animal companion to flee from imminent danger? instead of guarding with 1HP, it retreats...

Also, for the larger combatants like the Bear, Giant lizard, Jackal, wolf and Attack dog - could they still be offensive minded until a certain HP threshold is reached, where they then become more defensive as you proposed?

2. MB

MB Member

Could you just flag an AC as charmed? Wouldn't that allow the pc the ability to control it?

3. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Can I haz my riding dragon plz?

4. Mouldyrye

Mouldyrye Member

@ General Ghoul: Saga of Old city is the one with the druid and barbarian at the end. One of the greatest books of my teen years. Written by the master himself Gary Gygax, and it even had the characters 2nd edition stats in the back of the book.

On the topic of animal companions, my 9th level druid has:

black, brown and panda bears
    giant lizard
    wolf
    jackal
    chicken
    dire rat
    attack dog

5. ithildur

ithildur Established Member

Animal companions in pnp get Share Spell, which allows the druid to buff herself AND the AC up the wazoo without having to prep two castings of each buff. The result in pnp is that druids when they get to higher lvls and can shapechange into some useful shapes, can leave a tremendous wake of destruction in their wake next to their ACs. It's like getting a full caster (if you have natural spell feat) and 2 fighters in one PC; fully buffed with stuff like barkskin, stoneskin, mage armor from the party wizard's scrolls, Armor of Faith from the cleric, the two of them can take on entire fights by themselves.

I can't recall whether Share Spell is in TOEE, but either way I really don't think it's urgent that animal companions get help. If they're rushing into battle then there's always the option to buff them early on instead of your druid (barkskin, mage armor, and stoneskin all last a very long time), or else there's the option to use the formation (F) key and shove them towards the far back so they don't jump in suicidally as frequently.

6. maalri

maalri Immortal

Me too, I would like an Azure one, please. And thanks for the suggestion Ted!

(let the games begin...) :evilgrin::twisted:

7. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

With regard to the AC being unable to identify specific PCs (unless 'flagged' by being injured/ on negative hp or similar): would it be possible for the PC to be identified by a specific item in inventory that appears when the animal is summoned? AC stays next to PC with its favourite stick and does ready vs approach if not in combat.

8. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Sadly no. The limitations here are not with scripting but with the AI. You can script almost anything in ToEE (such as what you describe), but there is no corresponding AI strategy maneuver to actually do it in combat.

I'm refining the routine a bit though. Right now I've got them approaching and guarding low ac characters initially (hopefully these will most often turn out to be rear rank spellcasters), then if anyone gets hurt below half of their hp, the AC will approach and guard them. If the entire party gets below 40% of its cumulative hp, the AC will attack the closest enemy. Also, ACs will abandon dead characters, and their prioritizing right now simply runs from leftmost character to rightmost in terms of the scripting. How it plays out for real is never so sure, since their only command in AI is to 'approach injured friend;' who knows who they may choose in that regard if there are multiple party members injured. It will be up to ToEE.

There are of course still other kinks to work out as well.

btw, thanks to those who gave me lists. :thumbsup:

9. Gaear

We'll probably have to scrap guarding low ac characters, as this script is just getting too complex for such a mundane function, lol.

It's working swimmingly now (with only one issue remaining) where they guard themselves initially, approach and guard anyone who gets below 50% HP personally (the issue is getting them to switch back to the guard strategy if there is more than one ally below 50%), and attack the nearest foe if the party is below 40% HP in total.

10. Mouldyrye

Mouldyrye Member

Since you can summon another animal companion with only one day's rest, and then name it the same thing as the last one, isn't spending hours refining the AI for what is basiclly sentimental reasons going a bit far? I understand wanting to make things work more like PnP, and possibly make druids a more appealing class. But, other than having to deal with the RNG of the hit points of the AC, I have completely gotten over the need to save Ol' Yeller when he charges into an extraplanar death trap.

Is it possible to have a small set of dialogues that you could build in so people could have their druid, or maybe any PC, tell the AC to stay, heel, or attack? Can you make three simple, dialogue triggered AI options rather than one "optimized" for all occasions? I'm not sure if it's possible to arrange a way to allow a PC initiated conversation in combat. Could the animal trigger a dialogue every round with the nearest PC to get instructions?

A few brainstorms just in case you are too far down the coding rabbit-hole.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  11. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

It is certainly worth it. If you can keep them alive, they will increase in power and HPs over time. You haven't seen anything until you have seen a 5th level Enlarged Chicken walk into the Welcome Wench.

12. Gaear

I other words, scrap going to a lot of trouble to mod AC behavior in favor of going to much more trouble to mod AC behavior? ;)

13. Mouldyrye

Mouldyrye Member

I've kept the same jackal and brown bear through level-ups and have not seen any increase in HP. I guess I assumed that they were not correctly gaining power. Do they gain extra health every other level, or every three levels?

@ Gaear: That answers my question.

14. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi
    According to d20SRD, Animal Followers gain Hit Dice, Strength Points, and improvements to AC about every 2 - 3 Levels. In the PnP version, the A.C. would also learn a new trick or so, every once in a while.
    The Royal Canadian

15. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

In NWN2 you have to dismiss your companion and re-summon it to gain it's level boosts.

I' not sure how it works in TOEE, due to not using an animal companion very often myself.

Our Host!