How to get 300GP real quick in Hommlet

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by The Royal Canadian, Jan 17, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Folks
    I am back from my long, not so Civilization-ized hiatus, and I have started in on 7.6 . I do have a few minor things to note ( in the bugs thread ), but I "discovered" ( ?? ) a quick way to make an easy 300 GP in Hommlet ( assuming your "Face" has the right skills ).
    Go talk to Burne and accept the "Agent Revealed" quest. Go find the agent at the Castle Construction site, who will ( with the right skills and Dialogue choices ) reveal that he works for Rannos and Gremag. DON"T TELL BURNE !! Go talk to Gremag, and tell him that you found his spy at the Castle worksite. You should be able to get 100 GP for this ( and the EXP and Quest Status: Trader Revealed). Then go talk to the Teamster, and ask him if he has seen anything suspicious at the Trading Post and he will mention the courier. Go into the stable at the Trading Post and get Rocutio to admit he is a Courier for the temple. Go and talk to Gremag (or Rannos, I don't think it really matters ) and select the "Your prices are a little high" line, and accuse him of being a spy for the temple. He will then ask what you want. You can either get another 200 GP or a +1 Shortsword ( I take the gold and use it to hire Elmo ). Of course the 900 Experience Points ( divided by the number of members in the party ) doesn't hurt either.
    I only mention this because the walkthrough on GameFAQ's states that the writer doesn't think it is possible to complete all three quests ( "Agent Revealed", "Trader Revealed", "The Trader's Courier" ). You can still complete the "Agent Revealed" quest at a later time ( I wait until after I have sold the traders some items that I took from Lareth ).
    The Royal Canadian

2. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

If you're really trying to farm XP and gold, you can also enter combat mode just prior to ending the conversation with Rocutio, allowing you to put him down before he escapes. He has a longbow in addition to his other gear.

3. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

If you're going for the gold, the +1 sword will net you more income (if you sell it to brother smit) as opposed to taking the gold from Gremag. But as has been stated already many, many times... money is not an issue in this game :)

4. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Eventually it isn't, but at the very start it seems to be an issue for me when I'm trying to gear up my team with the best offered. :)

5. maalri

maalri Immortal

Welcome back TRC! I Don't even think I HAD you on my "What ever ghappenned to" Sticky, but I am most happy to see you back anyway!!

I agree- kill the courier and take the magic sword in a deal with the Traders. Then sell those, and while you are at it kill Gremag and Rannos too, after making a deal with them :evilgrin: They deserve it.

They have nice stuff to sell on them as well, if you can handle the fight and get them down before they dissappear.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  6. sirchet

But don't you want at least one of them to get away .... For all that PHAT LOOT later on. :p

7. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

What? You mean in the shop before the game actually starts? Because that's the only place where I can see a possibility of having not enough money - and then still... I always take the starters equipment, and then still you've got some money on the side for some finetuning of your gear.

As soon as you're in Hommlet, you can start selling scrolls or go to the "wishing well" to fish for coins :thumbsup:

But maybe you're just too eagerly awaiting that shiny masterwork Quarterstaff for your lvl 1 mage...:no:

Anyhow, I always leave 1 of those traders flee, a I enjoy that burglary scenario - a very fine fight with some real good presents at the end ;)

8. sirchet

In the very beginning I like to get chain shirts for all my front line folks and as many healing potions as I can. A healing potion can mean the difference between XP and death for a level one character.

9. ShadowDragoon

ShadowDragoon Advocate of Vengence

I usually just get everyone up to Level 2 doing various Hommlet quests and the Deklo grove, then I worry about gearing up with what's in the Moathouse. *shrug* It's always worked fine for me in the past.

10. maalri

maalri Immortal

It is exceedingly hard to get them both (I know, I know Glitterdust spell- for the ONE time you would need it in the game) but yes, just concentrate on one- which ever one torques you off the most, so that you don't blow the powerful and loot heavy quest later.

11. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

If you insist on killing one of the dodgy traders instead of letting them both escape, then I would choose to kill the trader whose items are most beneficial to your party's characters (so that you can use those items as soon as possible). Having stated that, I found from bitter experience that Rannos Davl is the higher level and far deadlier of the two!

Rannos Davl (58 HP):
    Amulet of Proof Against Detection & Location
    Shortsword +1
    Ring of Protection +1
    Dagger +1
    Brown Leather Armor +1

Gremag (46 HP) (60 HP during combat):
    Dust of Disappearance
    Dagger of Venom
    Red Chainmail +3
    Shortsword +1

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  12. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

I completed the three quests above, and sold a certain set of boots just before reporting to Burne. The assassin showed up right on schedule, but when I went back to confront Rannos and Gremag, all I get is the "you double crossed us" conversation. Is this an error, or can't you confront them if you turn them in?

13. sirchet

Did the speaker have the note the assassin had on him in his inventory?

14. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

That was the first thing I tried after it initially didn't work. Even with the note, they were stuck in the "double crossed us" dialog.

15. sirchet

I hate to say it, but I think you will have to go back to an earlier save, (hope you got one).

Every time I play I use ten saves per game and always save to the oldest so I have a few to go back to.

But then I'm probably not telling you anything you aren't already aware of. ;)

Our Host!