ToEE World Builder malware alert

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gazra_1971, Jan 13, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

I'm using the antivirus software Norton 360. The problem is that on 2 separate occasions now, Norton 360 has spat the dummy and refused to continue to function normally unless I delete Agetian's ToEE World Builder from my computer's hard drive. I'm presuming that Norton is detecting a false positive malware alert with the ToEE World Builder files. Could somebody please look into this, and if the ToEE World Builder files are harmless, then could somebody please contact Symantec (or whichever company that makes Norton) and ask them to add the relevant ToEE World Builder files as being safe in Norton's antivirus checking? I've attached the relevant screenshots of what is happening with Norton 360 on my computer below. Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Well that's a first. I would think this has to do with the paranoia over toee.exe, only World Builder doesn't ship that file.

All I can tell you is that I have used WB routinely for years with no issues (and no virus/malware alerts from AVG). Contacting Symantec would be pointless; others have tried that with the toee.exe snafu with other companies and gotten nowhere. I guess that just leaves getting rid of Norton.

p.s. Did you happen to just download it or redownload it during the recent 'zOMG all Sorcerer's.net hosted sites are malware!' scare?

3. ShadowDragoon

ShadowDragoon Advocate of Vengence

Frankly, I'd just boot Norton and get a decent antivirus software.

I mean, Norton isn't bad, but there are better free alternatives. And better pay alternatives. In IT circles, saying you have Norton or McAfee installed is the equivalent of saying, "I like throwing my money away, AND buying sub-par products!"

Also, I don't think Symantec (you are correct, they do, in a sense, "make" Norton) has a way for you to just contact them and say, "No, really, this file is fiiiine."

4. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

McAfee has a link you can click on, on their control panel to submit a file for addition to their next update, but it may take weeks, or even months.

Myself, I canceled my subscription and got AVG and have had no further issues.

Our Host!