KotB not activating.

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by Blargh!, Jul 5, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Blargh!

Blargh! Halfling eater

Heya Ted(or whoever is kicking around), having a bit of a problem, will give you the play by play of what happens.

I'm running Front end 2.2, the modules I have listed are Co8 5.5.0 beta, Co8 5.0.0, KotB demo 1.1 final, and ToEE. Everything is patched(official patch 2, .NET ver 2.0), I play 5.5.0 beta with the occasional crash, but otherwise it runs smoothly. I followed the install instructions for KotB and the 1.1 update, but when I click the module and activate I get the following message:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unhandled exception has occurred in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue. If you click Quit, the application will close immediately.

The system cannot find message text for message number 0x%1 in the message file for %2.

Details:

See the end of this message for details on invoking
    just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
    System.IO.IOException: The system cannot find message text for message number 0x%1 in the message file for %2.

at System.IO.__Error.WinIOError(Int32 errorCode, String maybeFullPath)
    at System.IO.FileStream.Init(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, Int32 rights, Boolean useRights, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, FileOptions options, SECURITY_ATTRIBUTES secAttrs, String msgPath, Boolean bFromProxy)
    at System.IO.FileStream..ctor(String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
    at ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.Zip.ZipFile..ctor(String name)
    at ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.Zip.FastZip.ExtractZip(String zipFileName, String targetDirectory, Overwrite overwrite, ConfirmOverwriteDelegate confirmDelegate, String fileFilter, String directoryFilter, Boolean restoreDateTime)
    at TFE_X.TFEMain.InstallModule(String modname, Boolean raw)
    at TFE_X.TFEMain.btnInstall_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
    at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
    mscorlib
    Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.832 (QFE.050727-8300)
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
    ----------------------------------------
    TFE-X
    Assembly Version: 1.0.3266.35420
    Win32 Version: 1.0.3266.35420
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Atari/Temple%20of%20Elemental%20Evil/TFE-X.exe
    System.Windows.Forms
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
    System
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
    System.Drawing
    CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
    ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib
    Assembly Version: 0.85.4.369
    Win32 Version: 0.85.4.369
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Atari/Temple%20of%20Elemental%20Evil/ICSharpCode.SharpZipLib.DLL
    Interop.IWshRuntimeLibrary
    Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
    Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
    CodeBase: file:///C:/Program%20Files/Atari/Temple%20of%20Elemental%20Evil/Interop.IWshRuntimeLibrary.DLL

************** JIT Debugging **************
    To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
    application or computer (machine.config) must have the
    jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
    The application must also be compiled with debugging
    enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
    <system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
    </configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
    will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
    rather than be handled by this dialog box.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(Figure I'd cut and paste the whole thing, even though I suspect I could have just copied the part about JIT debugging.)

So last night I clicked continue, went to bed, and when I got up 7 hours later the module had not activated. I ctrl-alt-del'd to shut it down, tried to restart front end, but got a "you must open toeefe x from the root directory, if you are opening from root directory and still getting this error you must patch to official ver. 2 before trying again" message, so I re-patched official 2 and front end started up again no problems. Any subsequent activation retries result in the same error, with a re-patch to official ver. 2 to get front end working again.

Regarding the JIT debugging, I found the game config file in the root directory and figured I better leave it alone for now, I also found my machine.config but I do not know how to edit that and also figured I better not screw with it(haha :D ).

Any help would be muchly appreciated, no rush though, I'm in the middle of the original campaign so whenever you have a chance shout back. Thanks a bunch.

Blargh!! :rock:

2. Blargh!

Blargh! Halfling eater

Addendum: The whole things snookered now, saved games wont load, error on exit... I'm just going to re-install the whole shebang and we'll see how that goes :p

3. Blargh!

Blargh! Halfling eater

Re-installed it all, everything is up and running. Looks great!!! I'm excited, must go play! :D

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Glad we could help :wave:

5. Blargh!

Blargh! Halfling eater

Very nice so far, enjoying everything except the crashing when I head back to town after the harpies, hehe. ;\ I don't envy you for having to figure out this games code and all the random crashing Ted.

And I wish I had played this module back in the good old pnp days to see how similar it is. Hope you get the kinks worked out, looks promising. :)

6. Shiningted

Thanks dude :) The hermit, lizardmen and spiders are from the module, the lizardman refuge is from the sequel (but not the young fella who lives there) ditto the Mad Wizard's tower - the location is from the sequel, but not the wizard - while the Druidic Shrine, its harpies and Lord Axer were invented by the plot writer, Edwin.

7. Blargh!

Blargh! Halfling eater

Hmm, interesting... it looks like something screwy is happening when I flip from one module to the other. I flipped back to the Co8 5.5.0 beta to play for a while, and when I try to re-activate KotB I again get the error sequence as described above, and once again KotB wont activate. From that point front end will still let me launch 5.5.0 but all the save games get zonked and upon character creation all the new portraits are gone, plus whenever I exit out of the game I get an illegal op. Good thing it's all very easy to wipe and re-install, heh :\

8. Dreadfell

Dreadfell Member

I am having issues as well. I dont mean to interrupt your post but I cant find anywhere else to post. So I got the TOEX running, but when I extract the KOTB module nothing changes in the root folder of TOEE. I have tried multiple ways of doing so and am sure im extracting to correct folder. I am running windows 7 could that be the issue? Do i need to have an earlier version of .net? any advice would be much appreciated!

9. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

After you've extracted KotB to you TOEE install folder the KotB module doesn't show up in the front end?

Are you aware you need to activate it just like you activate any of the TOEE mods?

And btw, you're not interrupting a discussion because the last post is from four years ago. ;)

10. Dreadfell

Dreadfell Member

Correct, it does not show up to activate in front end:[ Yah I didnt notice the age of the last post, I feel like I revived a corpse:]

11. Shiningted

I am away from my modding PC, can someone help with this? Otherwise I will try to respond with 24 hours (I haven't had to install this mod myself in several years so its better I not advise from memory... :scratchhe )

12. Dreadfell

Dreadfell Member

Wow, you guys really do try to help! Thanks for the quick responses. I figured it out. I had to change the folder permissions for ATARI/TEE. Gave full control and the next time I extracted the folders showed up. Very happy and about to install the patch:]

13. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

If you're running Vista or Win7 I would recommend right clicking on the The Front End loader Icon on your desktop and going to properties and in the compatibility tab put a check mark in "run as admin", this should bypass any future permission problems.

Our Host!