How Do I Fix This?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by sonofliberty, Nov 21, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

Since getting 7.5 I cannot get my 6 PC's no matter what I do. It still works in 7.4 and other versions. Other times when I had the issue a reinstall or five would eventually fix it. I have done 10 reinstalls and cannot fix it. So, is there a flag I can set somewhere in the console or a file I can edit to change this? I am truly tired of messing with it. Thanks.

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Your system isn't inhibiting file edits, is it? e.g. Windows 7 game installed in the Program Files folder.

There is no way to console the PC/NPC ratio - that's a .dll hack.

3. sonofliberty

It is in the games folder. It still works in previous versions 7.0, 7.3, 7.4. I just cannot get it to work in 7.5 at all.

Thinking out of the box, can I add one of my desired characters as a recruitable npc?

4. Gaear

I don't think so. There's no reason why it shouldn't work - the capability was not removed from the .dll in 7.5. it really is most likely something on your end. :shrug:

If you wanted to be clever you could open the 7.5.0 tfm file in your root directory and try to manually take temple.dll from it (should be in the tfm's root directory along with toee.exe) and copy it over the temple.dll in your ToEE game root directory.

5. sonofliberty

I am sure it is on my end. It seems strange that I hit the issue most times I change versions, but eventually get it to work. Usually just in time for your next change LMAO. Could holding onto the old versions cause some sort of conflict?

6. sonofliberty

Since I can't even open the TFM or dll files without getting a lot of gobbledygook, it is probably best if I don't try. However, if you think that is the issue, maybe someone could upload a corrected dll and I could replace it?

7. Gaear

You don't want to open the .dll, but .tfm files are just archives that can be opened with winRAR and 7-zip and so on.

8. theEarlofSandwich

theEarlofSandwich Fridge Raider

I have been running ToEE NC content for years with no problems on my underpowered Win XP machine.

Just purchased a sleek new model with Windows 8. Re-Downloaded my ToEE from GOG.com, downloaded 7.5 NC, completed the installation, seemingly without issue. ToEEFE-X opens normally. But....

When I start up, TOEE loads normally to the main start menu, but then hangs. Task Manager shows ToEE as "Not responding" and it will not respond (at all). Waiting for 10 minutes did not solve the issue. Neither did disabling the intro movies.

Any advice for a brand new Win 8 user?

9. Gaear

Nothing really pertaining to Windows 8, other than that I've heard it doesn't play nice with old games. Have you tried all the standard stuff - anitivirus and whatnot?

10. theEarlofSandwich

A little further information after some more testing...

Downloaded 7.5 to my older XP system which has never had problems before. 7.5 NC also hangs and will not start. Tried activating ToEE original module, still didn't work. Finally tried ToEE original module with intro movie enabled, and it started up fine on both machines.

Went back, enabled intro movie on 7.5 module, but still would not work on either machine.

It is highly possible that Norton 360 is the culprit, as I have been using Norton IS before this round of trying ToEE....

11. theEarlofSandwich

Problem is solved. Main issue was Norton 360. Excluded ToEE from some routines in N360 and both ToEE vanilla and 7.5 NC loaded and started normally.

Interestingly, 7.5 NC will still only start on Windows 8 with intro movie enabled, while 7.5 NC will work both with and without intro movie on older Win XP machine.

Thanks Gaear. I'd actually forgotten I'd changed anitvirus software slightly, and as I'd apparently lucked out and never needed to tweak for ToEE over years, the thought was late coming to me.

Our Host!