Circle of Eight Modpack v7 / v7 NC General Commentary & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by UncleBuck, Dec 2, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Usually just transferring players (as opposed to saves) is not an issue; however, this could be an example of how it could potentially be one, if for example your party were equipped with crafted items that didn't survive the crossover. That kind of thing. Generally it should be avoided just to be safe.

It could also be some random glitch, but whatever it is it sure sounds fatal.

2. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

I was exploring the Moathouse earlier own - dealing with the gnolls - I had dealt with those un the main room and sent a character with a masterwork 18str bow running around the left hand side of the room and up to the doorway into the back boudoir. When he reached the wall at the end (where he should have been hidden) the remaining gnolls activated.

The interesting thing is that the first gnoll out attempted to move around the character, failed its tumble check and provoked an attack of opportunity in the form of an arrow shot!

3. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I'm sure we are all aware that an AoO cannot be performed with a projectile weapon.

Hmmmm, I bet fixing this is something that requires dll hacking.

On a completely different topic we were discussing earlier in this thread;

The moat-house re-spawn skeletons in the court yard are immune to bludgeoning damage which is the exact opposite of what they should be.

It is only the skeletons in the court yard and not the the rest involved in the re-spawn.

4. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

Correct. I just tested this today.

5. Darkie

Darkie Member

I've discovered the problem with ToEE's Blink and Sneak Attacks.

Per RAW:
    1. Blink denies your target their Dex to AC.
    2. If your target is denied their Dex to AC, you can sneak attack them.
    3. Blink gives you a 20% miss chance because you might be phasing out when you attack.
    4. A rogue cannot sneak attack while striking a creature with concealment.

The problem is that in ToEE, that 20% miss chance is modeled as 20% Concealment, thereby preventing Sneak Attacks. In fact, even if you're in melee and flanking you still wouldn't be able to sneak attack, because your Blink gives them 20% Concealment. :thumbsdow

6. Gaear

If they're hard, verified bugs (meaning you tested them fairly rigorously) and not just "my game crashed, why?" type stuff, you can post them in the modding forum here: Circle of Eight Modpack v7 / v7 NC Bug Report Thread.

Be aware though that many bugs that end up there tend to be engine bugs and thus never get fixed by us. Those get transferred eventually to the ToEE bug thread, which is largely a graveyard for bugs that will never be fixed.

7. Darkie

Darkie Member

Eureka! The Incandescent Blue Ioun Stone in his inventory caused the Helm of Brilliance to produce only "Invalid Action". ...why the heck would it do that? :dizzy:

8. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

I completed the 'What Lies Beneath' quest for the first time. I LOVED the plot twist at the end of that quest when the player brings the children up to the surface, and Captain Abiram's reaction to the player telling him the names of the children! I have to say that the 'What Lies Beneath' quest, the 'Fear of Ghosts' quest, and what happens when the player botches the 'Framework of a Murder' quest (and then reports back to Darlia to debrief him about the situation) are the 3 best quests that I have EVER experienced in a computer game! They are such intelligent and artistically beautiful quests! Thank you, Gaear, for creating such outstanding quests in this computer game!

I completed the 'Demons and Demigods' quest with a Lawful Good party alignment for the first time. I won the combat on my first attempt. I thought that it was too easy and that the opponents in the combat had incredibly stupid A.I. because they spent every round after the first round attacking one of my characters that had cast the spell
    Meld into Stone
    , so they did no damage to my character.

When I completed the 'Demons & Demigods' quest with a True Neutral party alignment, I found the combat a little difficult due to the enemy
    Balor Guardians casting Fear on my party and then casting Dominate Person (or was it Dominate Monster?) on my characters (if any of my characters got dominated, then it tended to crash the game within a couple of rounds, so I had to reload and do the combat over and over again until none of my characters got dominated, which allowed me to finish the combat)
    , so that combat was more of a stability issue rather than a difficulty issue.

I find fighting
    4 of the same opponent
    in the 'Demons and Demigods' combat quite boring and wish that these combats had a mixed variety of opponents instead.

If there is 1 thing that I would dearly love to be changed with the Circle of Eight Modpack NC (apart from removing Fragarach and Scather from the game, but I've given up on that campaign due to it's never gonna happen), then it is this:

I don't understand why there isn't a fixed NPC vendor of wondrous items in Verbobonc. Currently the only way to have an NPC vendor of wondrous items in Verbobonc at the moment is to deliberately let a very high ranked villain in the Temple of Elemental Evil escape during the combat with him, but this stops that combat because all of the remaining temple forces in the room stop being KOS (killl on sight) when this villain escapes. It's like the player is being punished for playing a "good" party, and that only evil parties are rewarded with being able to buy wondrous items in Verbobonc. I wish that there was a fixed NPC vendor of wondrous items in Verbobonc, and that the high ranked villain in the Temple of Elemental Evil no longer teleports away from the combat in his room (so that the combat functions properly by all of the temple forces in his room continuing to fight the player's party until they are all defeated. That way, the game would no longer punish "good" parties and would no longer favour "evil" parties in regard to NPC vendors of wondrous items in Verbobonc.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2012
  9. Gaear

Wow, that's pretty high praise gazra. Thanks! :hug:

10. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

He was just softening you up for his request of another vender in Verbo. ;)

11. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

I just finished Deities and Demigods successfully for the first time. The character
    I put in the Otiluke's Resilient Sphere
    properly didn't take any damage, but did take Ability Damage from Sneak Attacks. He ended the fight with a -133 Strength. He did have the "paralyzed" marker, but was able to walk around with the rest of the party after the fight. Is this an engine problem, or something that can be fixed?

12. Gaear

Might try Jaroo's spell permanency fix.

13. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

Normal Restorations and rest will heal up the ability damage. I was more concerned about the fact he took it in the first place.

14. Gaear

Here's a heads-up on some rather core changes coming to 7.6.0...

'Something different'

Brother Smyth will no longer give you tips to go to Verbobonc and to do WotGS. This is planned behavior with the first phase of moving the NC expansions to Verbobonc. Instead what will happen is that after Zuggtmoy has been dealt with (and not before), Verbobonc will automatically open up for you on the worldmap. You can then go there and do stuff.

WotGS will become the third quest given out by Wilfrick. But you have to track this stuff down now; there is/will be no all-giving provider of NC like Brother Smyth in Verbo. Which leads us to ...

Notices

Starting with v7.6.0, the Verbobonc signpost will take on a secondary function - that of being essentially a notice board. The Verbobonc guard(s) who stood around waiting to tell you stuff when you arrived in town will cease to do so. That will be the signpost's job, but you have to check it. Think of it like your e-mail or voicemail. You will have to check it periodically to see what's going on.

Notices could be all manner of things, from summons by the head-honchos to tickets and fines to idle threats delivered by anonymous strangers. Again, check it often. It will be the first option on the signpost menu.

~

Spread the word, people. These changes may poorly affect those not well-informed, so please be ready to help when the inevitable cries of dismay start popping up here. Thanks. :)

15. Zoltec

Zoltec Pгōdigium

Suggestion

Hi Gaear, just a quick suggestion. Instead of making Verbobonc appear automatically in 'World Map' after Zuggtmoy has been dealt with, can you instead put a scenario like this? (After a few days - at night in the dark woods, a dispatcher will seek you. He starts a conversation regarding 'The Lord Mayor of Verbobonc' you notice that the dispatcher is indifferent in action, five men appeared in dark clothings before you - illusion and enchantment are their specialties, unknown of origin they seek the orb. The two of five mages trapped your mages with otiluke's resilience spell, they start the conversation and will ask once for the orb and attack you, one or two dark mages will escape after the decisive battle, leaving you and your party in a destructive wake. You realise that the dispatcher is an illusion, the real dispatcher is tied and lying beneath a tree (state is near death) The reason he is spared is unknown, you can choose to accuse and end his suffering or ungagged and heal him. The note you will gain, is a 'map to Verbobonc' and 'Official services signed by the Mayor' after he had heard your whereabouts of bringing downfall to the Temple.

If you spare the dispatcher he will offer you to lead you to the office of Lord Mayor Wilfrick. The mayor will praise you for your heroic deeds and will give you an extra reputation. And if not, will gain the governor's suspicions 'about you', offering new twists to the plot. But after that, will resume to your quests normally.

Merry Christmas to All!

Our Host!