Long-winded NPCs

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Gaear, Nov 25, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

As you know, some merchant NPCs with voice audio annoyingly repeat whatever line is attached to the barter interface launch line. For example, Gremag says "Welcome to the Hommlet trading post! ..." etc. etc. etc. ...

Etc. etc. etc. ...

twice, repeating it after you start bartering. This is a core thing but we can get rid of the effect simply by moving the barter command to another line. So in Gremag's case, you will walk up to him and say hi, he will say his long line, and you'll say "May we barter?" Instead of going straight to the barter interface and him repeating his long line, he'll just say "yes," and you will say "okay," and then you will have a line to click on that says [barter] where no one actually says anything out loud.

If that sounds like a long process, it's not. It's three clicks and you're bartering, with no odd dialogue droning on overhead.

I know Gremag and Rannos Davl are offenders in this area. Who else needs to be changed?

~

Done so far:

Gremag
    Rannos
    Calmert

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Personally I am yet to find this annoying.

Possibly because the few lines that are voiced in this game are so well voiced.

3. Gaear

Well the good thing is, we're not getting rid of any lines. We're just stopping them being said twice. :)

4. sirchet

Ahh, the ol never ending tweaking and fine tuning, aye?

5. Gaear

Pretty much. ;)

6. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

You know, I actually never noticed that... Probably because the only thing I sell there is 1 item of choice of Lareth to trigger the assasin, & then I just end their sorry existance...

7. sirchet

I try to leave one standing ... Cowering in his boots before he runs off. ;)

8. Ank

Ank Established Member

Don't be touching those sweet voice acts i just can't contain myself from feeling all warm and fuzzy when calmert keeps reminding me about the 'peoor box' and subtly mentions 'a smaal dooonation' ;)
    Seriously 2x loops in 1 trading try is too much, also while at it u can perhaps drive some sanity into some of them for ex cutting gremag's/ranos's introduction after the first visit: sweet jesus a char with an int of 5 can recall that those guys are ranos and gremag after their tenth introduction a simple 'welcome(back ?) to the homlet trading post' will sufice after the initial contact ) also for calmert maybe split his speech into 2 alternating phrases(so that alternating between reminding you casually about the poor box and requesting a small dontation there is at least some variation/hint of personality/charm to that greedy fellow)
    1 thing u definitely shoudn't do is to remove those speeches as they'r decent quality/funny sometimes and i for one would definitely mis them.

9. dale5351

dale5351 Established Member

speaking of the poor box -- do the PCs get any benefits from donating to the church or to Jarro?

10. Gaear

I think you eventually get a discount on prices from Terjon, and you can ask Calmert to stop soliciting.

Our Host!