Wish List for Modpack 8 and up

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Aquinas, Oct 30, 2012.

Remove all ads!
Tags:
  1. Kilraven

Kilraven Chaotic Good Lich

My wish/desire for the end of this modpack series is rather mundane.

When on the feats list, each class has it's unique abilities.

However, if you are playing let us say a Paladin for the first time you have no idea what divine health is for.

A very short , perhaps four to seven word description of unique feats would be quite nice.

Or perhaps an ingame link to the information.

2. twisty

twisty Morose Marauder

Gazra, now that you mention it, I do recall encountering a bebilith during the monster mash quest. Have you got a screenshot of the actual model?

3. tom

tom Established Member

Sadly the proposed project eternity game is not true turn based (its uses a pause button not structured segmented rounds). Similarly although it quotes the dungeon games of the past as inspiration it does not say it will be D & D.

I just don't understand - the TOE system plays so well. The radial menu is a stroke of genius. Their is near 50 years of D and D background to plunder.

Producing a genuine modern D and D game seams like a no brainer. i don't know why it hasn't happened.

4. tom

tom Established Member

Wish list item –

is it possible to use the sense motive skill to guess the level of monsters and NPCs ?

A successful roll – and the level appears on the character/monster info. e.g goblin captain L 3 or brother smith L8.

This would be really useful in knowing who to hit, who to run from and importantly who to pick pockets from.

5. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Are we really so quick to forget ... Project Eternity is being written, planned and built by the exact same people that led the team that made Baldurs Gate, Icewind Dale, Fallout 1&2 and yet we still compare Project Eternity as a .... Will it be as good as BG.

BG 1&2 and the rest of the Infinity Engine games were real time with pause and no one complained.

I'm sure there will be an option to auto pause the game at the end of each round, again like the IE games mentioned earlier.

I too would love to see PE use the DnD ruleset, but not enough to let WotC get their nasty mitts on any of the planning or production of the game.

Myself, I have a great deal of faith in these people and believe they WILL produce another game that will be the benchmark all following games will be measured by as was the BG series.

6. tom

tom Established Member

I'm just saying that its a pity that they have decided to have the benchmark of BG which was good but not real D & D. When they now have (thanks to the circle of eight) the benchmark of TOE which is brilliant and provides a genuine dungeons and dragons experience.

7. sirchet

I'm very excited to see what they do with a clean slate, not having to bend to any existing rules or concepts, except for what us outspoken folks on their forum keep asking for.

I think in order for them to acquire the rights to use the engine TOEE was built with they'd have to track down who actually owns the rights now and then pay them. I think Atari and then Hasbro owned it but Gaear would be a better source for that info.

8. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Atari owns the ToEE engine.

It seems very unlikely to me that any modern development house would want to use this engine - mainly because it's so buggy, but also because it could stand to be modernized and refined in a lot of ways. If you're going to do that, why not just make your own? Chaos Chronicles, for example, is openly inspired by and based on many elements of ToEE gameplay. And as was stated above, it seems that making a D&D game and dealing Wizards and Hasbro is essentially seen as problematic and undesireable now. Can't say as I find fault with that point of view, as they definitely tend to be anchors when they get involved. I'm sure the guys behind this trend of making these modern 'old school' games want to run with the ball, not sit around in meetings discussing whether or not they're allowed to say "beholder." :blegh:

9. dale5351

dale5351 Established Member

Personally, I don't really like the radial menus. I keep clicking / right clicking on the character portraits at the bottom of the screen to try to make them do something -- and then hand to forhead recalling that is not how it happens. Sometimes it is difficult to find the character on the battle field to pull up that radial menu.

10. dale5351

dale5351 Established Member

There were other auto pause options also that one could set. I liked "target gone" so that I could target another enemy.

11. sirchet

Yup, I tend to micro manage my party in tough battles.

PE has been announced to be using the Unity Engine with Obsidians own custom coding, I think it will turn out to be impressive.

12. tom

tom Established Member

No one complained. No one complained? NO ONE COMPLAINED!!$!!

Eyes glaze, mouth slackens, drool drips, wanders off towards the horizon muttering, – “20 years, 20 years” - “real time strategy is oxymoronic” - “Pause is not the same as turn/segment based”...............

13. tom

tom Established Member

I kit all of my characters with distinctive shaped and colored clothing. It's a small thing but it really makes them stand out and helps a lot with coordinating attacks

14. Major_Blackhart

Major_Blackhart Member

If I recall correctly, unless something has changed in this latest release, Barbarians are still only so good. Yeah, they get damage resistance and all that other stuff, but if I recall the only thing that changes over time as game characters level up past 10 is how many times he can rage. He doesn't get tireless rage, nor does he get Mighty Rage, nothing that increases his strength beyond that +4 bonus (I believe anyway).
    Barbarian to 10 is pretty much as good as it might get. Then move to fighter, and he give him something fun like Mithril Full Plate and boots of Haste. At level 20 with a Falchion and Improved Critical, he'll be much better at hitting and damage due to weapon specialization and greater specialization.
    Barbarian all the way to 20, not so much.

15. sirchet

Boy did we ever get off track on this one. ;)

Our Host!