Circle of Eight Modpack v7 / v7 NC General Commentary & Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by UncleBuck, Dec 2, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

That is WAI.

2. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

Just realized that as a LE party if you get the Butcher of Hommlett reputation then it's not a good idea to go see Burke at his watchtower. Since he now sleeps with the fishes was he at all important to the completion of the game? (I did do Burkes' Puzzles quest first though before killing Terjon and Calmurt so I got the fireball scroll from him).

3. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

ToEE was designed so that virtually nothing is a show-stopper, which itself embraces the D&D ethic of just going with whatever happens instead of playing 'the perfect game.' So my advice to you is to just roll with it. Burne's death will not make the game uncompletable.

4. Terjon

Terjon Member

Well my computer crashed during module activation and upon close inspection I seem to be missing a rather decent sized chunk of files (essential files, that is) from my ToEE folder/subfolders. Is there a chance I could just reinstall a modpack to bring it all back or am I forced to just reinstall the game itself?

5. ancalimohtar

ancalimohtar Member

Re: Circle of Eight Modpack v7 / v7 NC Bug Report Thread

hey, just reinstalled TOEE yesterday and downloaded the CO8 modpack version 7.40. i generated a new party, played a little bit (still running around hommet), but when i tried to run it today, the game freezes about 5 seconds after the main menu comes up. the title screen with the loading bar completes, and after the main menu screen comes up (new game, load save etc), whatever i do, whether i load or not, within 5s everything freezes, including the mouse cursor, and i'll have to task manager out. the music continues, however.

i followed all the instructions on that page as well.

win 7 64-bit.

6. Gehennis

While there are others far more qualified to answer this, my suggestion would be to uninstall everything and then reinstall first the game, then the patches, and then the most current modpack and patch. Hope this helps...:nerd:

7. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Are you absolutely sure it crashed, or did it just seem to be hung?

The module activation, especially the NC, can take quite a while to finish.

I would recommend re-activation before you go through the whole re-install thing.

8. Gehennis

Has anyone experienced this problem before? The setup: in the Moathouse fighting Lareth and with no cleric am luring the Master and his troops towards the narrow hallway. When Lareth casts Sound Burst(?) it stuns one of the guardsmen, causing the combat to freeze on the guardsman's turn. In the 4 times I tried before succeeding the stunned guard situation happened twice- the other two times one of my characters was killed so I simply reloaded :yes:.

9. Gehennis

Re: Circle of Eight Modpack v7 / v7 NC Bug Report Thread

Have you installed the 7.4.1 mod patch yet- and are you running it as an administrator?

10. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

ancalimohtar, other forum members have reported (in the past) experiencing the same problem that you are currently experiencing. The problem arose for them after they selected Disable Intro within the ToEE Front-End X. They managed to fix the problem by selecting Enable Intro within the ToEE Front-End X. If you have disabled the intro, then try re-enabling the intro to see whether it fixes the problem for you. If not, then you'll have to wait until some one more knowledgeable replies to your post.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  11. zebrainz

zebrainz Yumm

*pulls out Occam's Razor*

@ ancalimohtar - my game 'freezes' at the menu every time on the first load after installing a download or activating a different mod in TFE-X. I have to left click the mouse/touchpad to get the cursor to move and my game usually plays as it should from there. Hope that helps.

*puts away Razor* (I'm not allowed to run with sharp or edged implements)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2012
  12. ancalimohtar

ancalimohtar Member

this worked! thanks a ton.

13. dale5351

dale5351 Established Member

I have a question reguarding the weapon Scather that I was just given. I have read that it is a great weapon, but I have a few concerns how it will fit with my character.

My main fighter is LN, and has been using a greatsword as his melee weapon. I see that Scather is a Bastard sword. My question is whether or not my fighter can effectively use that bastard sword and whether or not it will be better for him.

The Greatsword he is using is a Masterwork sword which has been upgraded to be +3, with both icy burst and flame burst. It is listed as being 2D6, crit 19-20x2.

The fighter has improved critical, greater weapon focus, and specialization -- all in greatsword (and longbow).

14. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

All you need is a wizard to add keen blade to that greatsword and BAM! A killing machine.

I believe a fighter can use a bastard sword without the exotic weapon prof, he just uses it with two hands like a greatsword, but doing less damage.

Myself, I don't use scatter or Fragerach ... But that's just my personal take.

15. Nightcanon

Nightcanon Garrulous Halfling

Scather is most effective for a CG character (except if fighting Balors) but I have found it very effective with LG characters also. Not sure about LN though.
    Are you aware of what special properties Scather has? Don't want to post spoilers (though I doubt that many folks here don't already know!)
    Sirchet is correct that you will be able to use without Exotic Weapon Prof, as a two-hander (& so get additional Str bonus). If this you first game, I'd advise having a play around with it, with the rolls window open...

Our Host!