Evil sucks. Plus, is otis supposed to be a homlet sympathiser?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by taltamir, May 8, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

so i kill terjon, making me the "slaughterer of homlet".... i seem to be find with most nulb people after that... except for otis who attacks me on sight.

It makes for an interesting twist as I end up with no blacksmith.

Frankly, even has never been as unrewarding (well ok, I have seen a few games which have it worse). For some reason games that allow an "evil" path either:
    1. Have you insist on killing all the bad guys and saving the world... for that 10,000 gold reward by some stupid leader (where the average magic weapon you loot is worth more, and you could have taken the power for yourself instead of destroying it).
    2. Have you killing innocents (notice that you NEVER do anything other then killing the innocents...), at a GREAT monetary and personal cost. It takes immense sacrifices in wealth, time, effort, power (through magical items or just XP) and whatnot to take that path.
    3. Serving some weakling who treats you like dirt and is a fraction of your power (lareth the beutiful anyone? I wiped the floor with him, and when he surrenders he continues to insult me, and after abit of threatening agreed to cough up a measley 700 gold neclace... I ofcourse killed him, took the necklace, and about 15,000 gold worth of loot, mostly in magical items).

Anyways, I got off on a tangent. Is otis really supposed to attack me if I kill homlet? why?

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Well for starters, you MURDERED HIS PARENTS!!! You fiend! Cad! Dastard!

Anyways, Otis, along with Elmo, Y'dey and Murfles, are agents of good in the area, specifically there to keep an eye on resurgent forces of evil, and combat them

Yes, evil gets nerfed, it always has in D&D and GG made no apologies for that. But if it is any consolation, one of the main things modders like Edwin seem to want to do is redress that, so in a few months i think u will find a turning of the tide.

3. taltamir

Well, not just nerfed, also stupided. The plots for "evil" people suck ass through a straw!

4. ldonyo

ldonyo Member

And this surprises you how? It's called Heroic Fantasy for a reason, you know. Now, if you want to start your own Horrific Fantasy, where no innocent is safe and no kingdom goes unplundered, that will take some work on your part to institute. ;-)

5. taltamir

Actually its just called fantasy. The heroic part isn't mandatory.

Besides, when a game has an evil path there is no reason for that path to be shitty.

There are plenty of games out there that DON'T offer you the choice to be evil.

6. ldonyo

ldonyo Member

I would argue that ToEE is intended to be heroic, based on the modules as they were originally written and as the story line has been implemented in this game. Adding an evil path that is absolutely no fun to play, while requiring you to accomplish the same goals, only reinforces the heroic aspect of this fantasy. ;-)

Plus, if I didn't call one heroic fantasy, it wouldn't make its antithesis, horrific fantasy, as obvious a naming choice. :-D

7. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

The last time I got nerfed was when I was about 8 years old, remember those stupid foam missile launching toys for kids! Ahh well we've all got to grow up some time!

While we're on the subject of evil quests, does anyone know how to assasinate lodriss without having everyone in nulb attack you afterwards?

8. taltamir

ldonyo... while you dislike evil plots, I don't.
    Sure I always play the good path first, but I find it nice to play for the other side sometimes. You made it clear that you think this is bad, well good for you.

And I am sorry Allyx, I have no clue.

9. VaultDweller

VaultDweller Member

You should play KOTOR and KOTOR 2. The evil paths are great, and the rewards are sometimes better than the good paths. The ending of the first one, for example, is just great for the evil guys :)

10. ldonyo

ldonyo Member

I don't think it's bad, I just don't think ToEE was designed with a truly evil plot line. Why else can't you try and take over the Temple yourself?

11. lord_graywolfe

lord_graywolfe Wolfman

yeah i do Allyx although now i usally tell her what skole planned and turn the tables on him its more fun.

well talk to her with your most charming male PC after you take the job. you should get an otpion saying you want her she will say no and if you push it she will eventually give in and ask if you want to go for a walk with her on the docks, you can either just do the walk nothing happens or you can pick the option that says you kill her as soon as you are alone and no one ever knows about it except skole.

12. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

If ToEE is suposed to be heroic only then why can you play as chaotic evil and dominate ol' Zuggie destroy hommlet etc the end doesn't quite match the plot used to get there. there aren't enough opportunities to cause conflict, yes tripple cross is good

13. taltamir

exactly cujo...

yes there is no plotline where you take over the temple... but there is one where you serve the temple, rise in its ranks, and slaughter homlet and many innocents.

Basically, there are evil plot lines, they are just lame.

14. Olbaid

Olbaid Member

I havn't played an evil party yet (but am planning to eventually). It would be nice if the following endings were made available: (i'd do it myself, but have not the skill)

Instead of "serving the temple", rising in the ranks, etc. you should take over as high preist imediatly. I mean, you killed him. You can kill anything else in the temple that defies you. Typical seizing of power scenario.

There is more than one "Evil" god. why can't you kill zuttymog to please whichever rival god you serve, and be richly rewarded for it?

i'd write more, but i havn't slept in too long and my brain is fuzzy.

15. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Talk about your evil plotlines...

...what you said would be perfect. And it can be done with existing Temple characters & things, thus:

Lareth the Beautiful serves the Demon Queen Lolth, not the Elder Elemental god. Wrest power from him, and take charge of the effort to reassert her dominion in this portion of the Flanaess. Defeat the Temple's current leaders, forcing them to serve (...convert or die!), and build an army to challenge the might of the local power brokers. Begin by utterly destroying Hommlett & environs before the forces of good can rally against these efforts. One bargaining chip in this is Prince Thrommel. Held prisoner by the current Temple masters, can he be used to break (rather than cement) the alliance of the forces of good...namely, Furyondy & Veluna? At the very least, his death would bring them some measure of harm, and if he could be made to fall, why, who knows what evil this would bring?

The Scarlet Brotherhood is another means of having an evil plotline work. When Thrommel was taken captive, red-robed figures were said to have been involved. This is actually subterfuge on the part Iuz along the line of 'let's you & him fight'. He wants the forces of good to look elsewhere for the cause of their woes, spending time and resources in the process, rather than always looking to him first. A player could be an assassin, rogue, cleric, monk, magic-user, sorcerer...whatever....in the service of the Brotherhood seeking to find answers and thwart the cause of Iuz in involving them in a war not of their own making or choosing. You would still have to complete quests...and 'good' or 'evil' ones would not necessarily matter, except as they benefit your character's ability to accomplish their mission. The Brotherhood's bent is Lawful Evil, and might not mind seeing Iuz & Lolth in a conflict with each other, or any of the good nations for that matter...as long as they can profit by making themselves more powerful and less visible...and ultimately more able to corrupt others to their will.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!