Crafting problem

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Spider Dwarf, Sep 7, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Spider Dwarf

Spider Dwarf Spider

All of a sudden I cannot craft. My Druid and Wizard made 11th level while playing Co8 mod 7.3.0 NC. I have the level cap set to 20 and all along my Wizard has been creating scrolls, magic armor and weapons and an occasional wondrous item.

Somehow my main character, player zero (a paladin), it at the 10th level. Don't ask as I do not know how that occurred. I will admit to having been making some powerful items using my Wizard and then consoling her experience points back up. My rational is that during this time the other members are on vacation and she is out on her own dealing with kobolds and the like to gain experience. ;) My Druid has not crafted anything throughout the game.

Now all of a sudden all I can craft are the lowest level scrolls. I have plenty of coinage, 1310pp, but all the arms and armor and wondrous items are grayed out.

Any thoughts?

2. Spider Dwarf

Spider Dwarf Spider

Follow up...

Any item that that for either my Wizard or Druid costing more than 8 experience points to create, cannot be created.

3. hellblazer

hellblazer Established Member

Did you use up all your xp?

4. Spider Dwarf

Spider Dwarf Spider

Huhh? The Druid and Wizard's experience is 55,008 each.

5. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

You must have extra exp over the minimum required for your current level. You currently have 8 xp to use.

6. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

When you're in the crafting screen, (where you choose what you want to craft) look at the bottom boxes, one shows your available gold and the other shows your available xp, (which as stated by sonofliberty, is what you have above the last level you gained).

7. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

To clarify this:

An 11th lvl character has need of a total of 55.000 xp to be a true 11th lvl character. While any character will do it's job just fine with less, some feats won't work - like the crafting skills.
    If you want to craft an object that needs 140 xp to be crafted, the crafting char should need at least 55.140 xp.

The feats that use up xp of a character are:
    Scribe scroll
    Brew potion
    Craft wondrous item
    Craft magic arms & armour
    Craft wand
    Craft rod
    Craft Staff
    Forge Ring

8. Spider Dwarf

Spider Dwarf Spider

The Light of Illumination (the light bulb) is starting to glow more brightly. I seem to understand that the two of you are saying that it is not subtracting from my total experience points but what I have over the minimum for my present level.

So..., if I had 55,100 experience I could only craft an item that costs 100 points. Conversely, it matters not how much experience I have, but what I have over the last level attained. Is that correct? If so, then that is just too weird.

It does somewhat make sense. Theoretically, and I think this has to do with the game engine, I could reduce my points to below the 11th level, thus "forgetting" those abilities. Interesting and I think I will try to drop their experience to 54,999 to see what transpires.

Now if I could just figure out what activating 7.4.0 NC has been sitting here doing nothing for three hours. Looks like I am going to have to Ctrl-Alt-Del even though TFE-X warns against it. Win 7 64-bit came up with a warning when I tried to activate 7.4.0 NC and I told it to activate anyway.

Thanks for the responses by the way.

9. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

correct

About the install, some antivirus programs make it impossible to install the patch. Nor toffee-x or your AV will give a warning about it. You'll just sit there wondering for hours when it will be finished.

You'll have to de-activate your AV, or set up an exception in the AV settings. In the worst case you'll have to uninstall your AV, and after succesfull installation of the patch, reinstall your AV (Unless it's one of those that block ToEE.exe anyhow, then you'll have to find an other one). Somewhere on this forum there's a thread with compatible & non-compatible AV's.

Edit: found the AVcompatibility thread:
    http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=9564&highlight=antivirus

10. Spider Dwarf

Spider Dwarf Spider

Thanks,

I finally beat my head against the wall and did a Ctrl-Alt-Del on the sucker. If it crashes, it crashes and I start with a fresh install with mod 7.4.0...

It wasn't my antivirus and I'm starting a new game.

Again, thanks.

Our Host!