Store Inventory Update --- Beware the glaringly obvious.

Discussion in 'Negative Energy Plane' started by Aginor37, Sep 27, 2003.

Remove all ads!
  1. Nomad_Wanderer

Nomad_Wanderer Established Member Veteran

Re: after you

That sounds reasonable.. The PYC files would be a sort of cache...

2. Aginor37

Aginor37 Member

Strange, my Smyth is selling a pouch of bullets and a Harm scroll in addition to his normal wares. Are you using the ID#'s from proto.tab or description.mes? I am yet to pull a number from the latter that doesn't work, but I have noted a couple of small descrepancies between the two.

Oh well, I'm sure that we can lick this problem, assuming we don't go postal on our boxes first. If anyone has any more info, or just wants to share their invensource.mes, e-mail me at Sworks@gt.rr.com

3. Nomad_Wanderer

Yikes. Please document any discrepancies.. Those aren't supposed to be there.

4. a54321

a54321 Member

riiiight...

ive got a better handle on it now

had to leave the map and rest a while (i picked 52 days dunno why:p)

then the inventory stocked up so im thinking there must be an inv buffer/listing in the savegames and passage of time maybe resets that

the scrolls thing bugs me though, if youve got it sorted aginor then it must be something im not doing...

did you alter the buy_list_num from 7?
    which item id for the scroll you managed with?

only things i can think of :confused:

5. Aginor37

Aginor37 Member

NEW INFO:

Just started a new game, and went to visit Smyth. No new goodies at start, or resting 30 days from start. So I had a brainstorm, and sold him the potion that all characters start with. Rested another 30 days, and my modded goodies were there! This could also explain why Smyth is the only one showing inven changes, I'm betting that you had something sold to him on that savegame...I know I did. Will be back shortly after I test with results.

Give me a couple of hours to dig through them again and I will get back to you.

6. Nomad_Wanderer

Oh, don't waste any time looking directly for them, just when you see one, note it..

I think we can do a comparison/diff/ to get out the discrepancies.

7. a54321

a54321 Member

weirder?

i added a scroll i *knew* worked in-game this time and it was there (i also edited buy list to 2 though)

again i had to leave the map and rest (10 days this time)

went back and all my new items were in there

i *cannot* get innkeepers wife to change her inv though...

8. Glamis

Glamis Member

I like that system as well.

The only tweak I would envision is have the proper vendor type be the one you request masterwork items from.

In PnP D&D, masterwork items are generally available but they just cost more.

They are not like magic items that are super rare or must only be found.

9. Aginor37

Aginor37 Member

Well, consider half of the current puzzle solved. Merchants only call on invensource.mes to update their inventory when you have sold something to them. Makes sense and probably saves a few CPU cycles, if a bit lazy. I sold something to Calamert (cleric merchant in church, not sure on spelling) and after I rested long enough to refresh his list my modded goodies were there.

Of course, the other half of the puzzle seems now to be getting the merchants to refresh their lists. I sold something to both Burne and the tailor, and no matter where or how long I waited/rested, could get neither to refresh. So that is the next step in getting this one under the proverbial belt. After that, I imagine we will need someone skilled in Python scripts to make a script to make the merchants auto-refresh at new game and to call invensource when they do it.

Oh yeah, kinda an aside. If anyone disapproves of the way I am posting (adding a new post whenever a new thought comes into my head or listing what I am about to do) please let me know. I know it can be annoying,but it helps to keep the ol' idea-joice flowing in my head. It's just the way I work. But I will stop if it annoys or offends.

10. Nomad_Wanderer

I;m in a big trouble if that's the case. I've been lurkin in these forums the last hour or two looking for fanFix feedback...But also responding to posts like crazy.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2003
  11. a54321

a54321 Member

vanilla

ive never tried but do burne or the tailor buy things in an untouched game?

im thinking along the lines of a time value for stock refresh in the protos.tab

the inv on dying is referenced in there (number 44) but i cant see the shop ref number which may mean that shops are a separate protos entry?

(agenir- if you didnt post your thoughts id have given up two hours ago.... damn you!)

12. olaf

olaf Member

I still havent had a chance to test anything new, but the only updating inventory from invensource.mes when you sell them something sounds promising.

Burne buys things in an untouched game. I sell him scrolls and potions regularly. Most everything else I sell to the Homlett Smith. The tailor in Homlett also buys stuff, I am not sure what.

I believe the the buy_list_num,# for each merchant in the invensource.mes file corresponds to the entries in invensourcebuy.mes. It should tell you who buys what and under what circumstances.

olaf

13. a54321

a54321 Member

yeah

altering the buy_list _num,X in the invensource.mes does work in the game

but i was hoping that burne and tailor didnt buy normally so their stock would never be 'refreshed' anyway...

if you see what i mean

14. olaf

olaf Member

I see what you are saying, but if you look in those two files you will see that what they buy in an untouched game, or you see the default settings anyway. Burne is anything magic and the Tailor is cloth armor

olaf

15. a54321

a54321 Member

but...

what i was also getting at was if they didnt buy in the game then their entries were invalid somehow

if it worked then it was being called up but if it didnt then changing it would have no discernible effect

i hope thats clearer anyway :D

Our Host!