Freeze up problems

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Lord_Kjeran, May 3, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Lord_Kjeran

Lord_Kjeran Member

Chello!

Ok, this appears to be a common prob for some people. As in, things get really slow and then move normal again, sound skipping badly, etc. i know it's not a system problem,

My question: is this usually a sound card or a vid card prob?

If I get a new vid card, does one listed as being DirectX 9.0 compatible my best bet?

Thanks,

Tony

2. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Option 3 is that it's a problem with how the game was coded...

I get yips on my top of the range Dell custom build, I get yips on my gfs minimum specs computer. It doesn't seem to matter what computer you run it on ;)

3. Marceror

Marceror Established Member

I posted a similar thread the other day.

I just purchased a pretty close to top of the line Alienware mobile desktop last week (P4 3GHz, NVidia GeForce GO 6800, 2GB System RAM, 7200 RPM Hard drive, etc) expecting that ToEE would run like absolute butter. 99.9% of the time it does... but I've had some issues in the elemental nodes that have required me to end task on the game more than once.

I've also heard people say that they never have these kinds of problems in the game (and I'd be really interested to know what kind of systems these guys have, their party dynamics, scroll speed settings, etc), so maybe there are a few optimal configurations out there that allow the game to perform properly.

By and large, however, it seems that there are some definite inefficiencies from a coding perspective that lead to the game stalling on folks even on the most powerful machines.

4. Lord_Kjeran

Lord_Kjeran Member

Chello again!

interesting...I was just wondering if the program did anything to my machine's settings athat I can't figure out. I know that whenever the game loads, it resets my display settings to ~really~ dark and I have to alt-tab out and reset the brightness/gamma/contrast.

The only reason I think that it is the program changing settings ia that other games now run slow and skip that never did before..Zoo Tycoon , AoE2, Diablo 2, etc. That's why i think it could be a directx issue.

Anybody else notice this with their machines?

Tony

5. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

I play Half-life a lot and not noticed any slow down when playing. Doesn't mean that you may not have had slowdown because of settings being changed, but I've not seen anything as a result of ToEE myself.

6. ldonyo

ldonyo Member

That would probably be more indicative of a driver issue, not a DirectX one. In any case, if you're patched up, just go into the Options menu while in ToEE and adjust the gamma there. I run at 4 - 6 myself and everything is quite visible. :-D

Our Host!