What's next after TOEE?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by caltino, Aug 7, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

I terms of tactical-combat games, though it's not quite the same, I'd still recommend giving a shot to games like Frozen Synapse, Final Fantasy Tactics (and a whole slew of the so-called Japanese "Tactical" RPGs, all of which seem to be loosely based of PnP RPGs), and maybe TBS games like Heroes OM&M (III or V) and Disciples (I or II).

That's of course once you get through all those Black Isle and Troika games. Most of them are worth a shot, especially BG2 and Arcanum.

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I still play the disciples series, even the real old ones.

Who says 2d graphics aren't playable?

Oh and lets not forget KNIGHTS OF THE CHALICE.

3. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

Oh god yeah, disciples...! o_O

And yes, block is very much like dodge

4. Lord Ludwig

Lord Ludwig Member

Personally I liked DAO a lot, but here are my suggestions:

Jagged Alliance II, old but still the best tactical non-fantasy RPG around

Warhammer40K Chaos Gate IF you manage to run it on Vista or XP or Win7 (or have a PC stil running Win98)

King's Bounty the Legend and the sequel Armoured Princess if you can get past the non-serious nature of the story.

5. sirchet

If you like Jagged Alliance 1&2, you'd probably get a real kick out of Jagged Alliance Back in Action.

Now that the latest patches have removed most, if not all of the bugs this game can be enjoyed and hold a spot in my most played category.

I find the ability to change the difficulty on the fly very pleasing.

An example; You can set it where you can't see the bad guys until one of your team has them in their line of sight, although you can still hear them if your skill is high enough.

Later this month a new expansion Crossfire will be released where your team will head off to a more inhospitable climate, (Frozen North) to battle even more bad guys.

Here's a few things offered in the expansion:

* The first complete new story in the Jagged Alliance universe in almost a decade
    * Unique mix of tactics, RTS, RPG and economic simulation gameplay
    * Optional line of sight mode and fog-of-war
    * New enemies, new weapons, new threats
    * Ten new M.E.R.C. mercenaries, bringing the roster up to 50 mercs
    * 20 new achievements
    * 15-20 hours of additional gameplay

This one is definitely worth a look.

6. Lord Ludwig

Lord Ludwig Member

Thx for the info... I took a look at BiA and dropped it immediately because it was so different from the original.Maybe I should reconsider.

7. pkloop

pkloop Member

http://forum.baldursgate.com/categories/general
    I wish you had the skills too cause your idea rules! I'd love to see that happen. :yes:

As to the OP: if you've finished ToEE and the awesome mod pack these guys have produced I would suggest the following: Icewind Dale I & II, Baldurs Gate Enhanced Edition <<<comes out on Sept 18! Baldurs Gate II (enhanced edition coming out early '13) Planescape: Torment...

You can get them all off Gog.com cheap or wait for the EE's. Hopefully Beamdog will do all of them :)

Http://forum.baldursgate.com/categories/general

8. sirchet

If you want to experience Icewind Dale in a bit more modern engine, you can play the NWN2 version which is in my opinion, simply a work of art.

slowdive_fan and his team have reproduced this classic almost exactly as the infinity engine first represented it, they even ported the voices and cinematics over from the original.

We're talking about a complete from start to finish port, the complete game.

You will need the NWN2 game, if you don't have this game ... shame on you. ;)

Click on the yellow text to go to the page for the free doenload on IGN.

Or click and just go look at the screen shots of the masterfully created areas and effects.

9. Goshi3156

Goshi3156 Dire Badger

Its much harder to acquire the game since its no longer available on Steam and GOG don't seem to have it either =(

10. sirchet

I love GoG they make things so simple, especially when running older games on newer equipment.

You can still get NWN2 at Gamers Gate. (Currently sold out but will post when they have more.)

And at Top Free PC Game.com.

I have not personally used the second one listed, but have read good reviews of them, although I would not sign up for any "free offers" just click download.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  11. Junkers88

Junkers88 Member

Just found this thread and I've got to say that there are a lot of games you folks mentioned that I've never even heard of. Guess I've got some searching to do on GoG to round out my RPG folder.

12. Goshi3156

Goshi3156 Dire Badger

Gamer's Gate don't have it available anymore =(

And yeah, GoG is a great place. Its where I got my copies of ID2, ToEE and NWN: Diamond.

13. sirchet

Wow, how did they sell out so quickly?

They must of had just a few copies.

14. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

Someone posted this link on my fb page... It is not a product you can find just yet, as they're still looking for the cash to develop it. But you guys might know a part of the team :p

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/obsidian/project-eternity

Yeah, I think this falls definately under "what's next after ToEE" :yes:

15. woolysockofdoom

woolysockofdoom Member

I already backed Project Eternity, which I'm excited about. However, it is a ways off. And Balder's Gate:EE is supposed to come out in November now.

GoG.com is actually still having the sale for their D&D games, which I think ends soon. I purchased the whole she-bang, and I think I'll go with one of those next. Maybe Planescape: Torment, I've never played it and heard many great things.

Our Host!