A kill with slay living does not provide EXP

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Covax, May 14, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Covax

Covax Member

I just killed the minotaur in kron hills with slay living. No EXP. Reloaded, killed with sword. 575 exp.

Just a heads up.

2. Covax

Covax Member

after a little experimentation, you can work around it a little if you let your opponent have a round in combat first. Only seems to be an issue if you WTF kill them out of nowhere.

Not an issue with the Nerull death touch at all though, oddly enough

3. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

I'm guessing you only get XP if you kill something in combat, and because you can cast a spell outside of combat, you get hosed if that spell is an instant-death type like Slay Living.

The Nerull death touch (is that like the Vulcan Nerve Pinch?) probably starts combat, since it requires a touch-attack to perform.

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

The Death touch is a Domain benefit: I got quite a shock the first time I saw it. "Oooo, that'll help at first level!"

5. Covax

Covax Member

It's pretty great for a solo character, too.

6. Kneller1

Kneller1 Established Member

It is preatty great. Use harm to get their hp down to i think 10 x your level and let death touch work it's magic.

7. hellblazer

hellblazer Established Member

I found a fix for the death spells. You just have to copy the code that damages the target if they make their saving throw so it is also applied when they fail before the kill object effect and then you get xp even outside of combat. Otherwise the target has to be damaged by some other source first. Co8 should implement this for all kill spells i.e. phan killer, slay living, weird, FOD etc.

i.e. you want the spell to assign the damage in all cases. That is why Covax observed that he received xp after a target took previous damage but not if the target was at full health.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2012
  8. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

You also don't get exp for turning/destroying undead.

9. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Not true. You don't, however, get XP if the encounter/quest is too low level for your party. Perhaps you're just much higher level than the undead.

10. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

In order to destroy the undead don't you have to be a few levels higher than them?

EDIT: OK, here's a little more info on this.

Turn Or Rebuke Undead

Good clerics and paladins and some neutral clerics can channel positive energy, which can halt, drive off (rout), or destroy undead.

Evil clerics and some neutral clerics can channel negative energy, which can halt, awe (rebuke), control (command), or bolster undead.

Regardless of the effect, the general term for the activity is "turning." When attempting to exercise their divine control over these creatures, characters make turning checks.

Table: Turning Undead
    Turning Check Result Most Powerful Undead Affected (Maximum Hit Dice)
    0 or lower Cleric’s level -4
    1—3 Cleric’s level -3
    4—6 Cleric’s level -2
    7—9 Cleric’s level -1
    10—12 Cleric’s level
    13—15 Cleric’s level +1
    16—18 Cleric’s level +2
    19—21 Cleric’s level +3
    22 or higher Cleric’s level +4

Turning Checks

Turning undead is a supernatural ability that a character can perform as a standard action. It does not provoke attacks of opportunity.

You must present your holy symbol to turn undead. Turning is considered an attack.
    Times per Day

You may attempt to turn undead a number of times per day equal to 3 + your Charisma modifier. You can increase this number by taking the Extra Turning feat.
    Range

You turn the closest turnable undead first, and you can’t turn undead that are more than 60 feet away or that have total cover relative to you. You don’t need line of sight to a target, but you do need line of effect.
    Turning Check

The first thing you do is roll a turning check to see how powerful an undead creature you can turn. This is a Charisma check (1d20 + your Charisma modifier). Table: Turning Undead gives you the Hit Dice of the most powerful undead you can affect, relative to your level. On a given turning attempt, you can turn no undead creature whose Hit Dice exceed the result on this table.
    Turning Damage

If your roll on Table: Turning Undead is high enough to let you turn at least some of the undead within 60 feet, roll 2d6 + your cleric level + your Charisma modifier for turning damage. That’s how many total Hit Dice of undead you can turn.

If your Charisma score is average or low, it’s possible to roll fewer Hit Dice of undead turned than indicated on Table: Turning Undead.

You may skip over already turned undead that are still within range, so that you do not waste your turning capacity on them.
    Effect and Duration of Turning

Turned undead flee from you by the best and fastest means available to them. They flee for 10 rounds (1 minute). If they cannot flee, they cower (giving any attack rolls against them a +2 bonus). If you approach within 10 feet of them, however, they overcome being turned and act normally. (You can stand within 10 feet without breaking the turning effect—you just can’t approach them.) You can attack them with ranged attacks (from at least 10 feet away), and others can attack them in any fashion, without breaking the turning effect.
    Destroying Undead

If you have twice as many levels (or more) as the undead have Hit Dice, you destroy any that you would normally turn.

Here's the source for this info: Clicky Clicky

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  11. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

Even when mobbed by 10-12 ghouls/ghasts/lacedons? Seems like such numbers should modify the CR.

12. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Well, they do, but there's a breaking point between getting XP and not, and I don't know what it is exactly. I do know, however, that I've gotten XP from turning before, so it's not a bug.

Our Host!