Engine Recreation Source Code

Discussion in 'ToEE Engine Recreation Project' started by DarkStorm, Sep 19, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. DarkStorm

DarkStorm Established Member

Hello everyone,

I think it's time to get serious with the engine recreation project.

I've set up a small project management page here:
    http://toee.hartte.de/

It includes a wiki, an issue tracker and a source browser for the repository.

I'll move the repository to make it publicly available using an SVN client soon and write a small wiki page on how to compile the engine with free tools.

The target development platform is:
    Visual C# 2008 (Express) - Freely available from http://www.microsoft.com/express/vcsharp/
    SlimDX - Freely available from http://slimdx.org/

The goal is to supersede the temple.dll/toee.exe with something new and make it possible to mod *everything* including the entire ruleset.

To reduce the effort required for this, the plan is also to reuse every possible data file from the original game. (Models, Art, Maps, Ground Art, Interface Art, Sounds, Music, Speech, etc.)
    Movies are an exception. I don't think you can legally link against the binkw32.dll to play Bink files. I have to check if ffdshow/ffmpeg/libavcodec support bink by now.

Cu,
    Storm

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
  2. Zanderat

Zanderat Cosmic Lord

3. DarkStorm

Yep. Although I think they're trying to redo the graphics, right?

Thanks for the offer. But i won't bother anyone with testing requests until I get beyond the prototyping stage.

I'm doing fog of war now.

Cu,
    Storm

4. Zanderat

Zanderat Cosmic Lord

Somewhat. Although they are using existing assets, the game is so old that they are improving what they can. They are also adding hooks to allow texture and possibly model replacement.

All right. Keep me in mind.

5. DarkStorm

6. Crypton

Crypton Member

Hello. I've cloned that git repo, and I've tried to compile modelviewer tool, but I was unable to compile it because there is missing header file "gamemath.h". Its not included anywhere, I already searched for that file in whole source code dir.

Is it possible that you upload already compiled version? I would like to see what animations ToEE has for characters, and I guess that your modelviewer tool is also able to play them.

If not, please could please tell me how to preview that animations and models? Also if there is any way how to import that models and animations into 3DS Max, please let me know.

Sorry for offtopic and thank you very much.

7. DarkStorm

Hi,

the game-math headers are from a separate repository. You have to pull the submodules in 3rdparty/game-math for the project to compile. I think that should be in one of the readme files.

Otherwise, try the following from the project root:
    Code:
    git submodule init
    git submodule update
    This should pull the submodules from the repository and the game-math headers should then be in 3rdparty/game-math.

Regards,
    Storm

ps: Reason for being inactive at the moment => New job :-/

8. Steven Aus

Steven Aus Member

I'm not sure the best place to ask these questions, but since you are in the process of rewriting the game, do you have an idea of how the ironman no-save (except when quitting before the end of the game) mode is implemented in TOEE? It has been suggested that the fheroes2 project for Heroes of Might and Magic II have an ironman mode where the only save allowed is at the end of a gaming session, so you have to take what you get during the game, and can't reload for an optimal result. Do you know how hard it is to make it very difficult to copy the save out of the game save directory and then copy it back in to have many tries from the same save? Do you know how the Ironman mode is implemented in TOEE with regards to this? And does the game provide a good way to get an iron-man mode "congratulations" high score for posterity and reward for getting through an entire game without reloading?

I look forward to your reply!

Best regards,
    Steven.

9. random1

random1 Member

10. SCO

SCO Member

Couldn't get it to build on linux.
    Monodelevelop (after some NetVersion trouble) couldn't get opentk to build, so i just dropped the last version and deleted the old one from the includes (whatever c# calls it). Then it build, but needed to native project.

So off i went to git it out, and installed qtcreator (i think that is what the project expects) - and installed the ogre libs (sudo apt-get install libogre-dev) but when i went to build it there were plenty of errors in a language i despise ( c++). Anyway, removed the "auto" error (or should i have installed c0x11?), then :
    /home/paulo/MonoProjects/EvilTemple-build-desktop/Converter/Converters/../../../EvilTempleNative/Converter/Converters/src/modelconverter.cpp:434: error: no matching function for call to ‘Ogre::VertexDeclaration::getAutoOrganisedDeclaration(bool, bool, bool)’

And then give up.

11. Illustair

Illustair First Order Wizard

Is this still being worked on? And are you alone on this? Can't you get more hands to work on this? Of course, we don't want this to end up like KotB, that mod has so much promise and potential. This is perhaps the most ambitious but also the most promising project I've ever seen. I hope we'd get to see the finished product. This is too damn good to be true - I'm in total awe, seriously!

Our Host!