Rules Lawyers and ToEE Gurus, Volume 3

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Gaear, May 17, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Hey everybody: I'm going to post here, in six successive threads, surviving bugs from the original Atari forums ToEE buglist. What I would like is this:

1. Rules Lawyers: offer modern opinions on whether or not these things are actually bugs or not.

2. ToEE Gurus: re-verify that these bugs still do indeed exist in the game.
    (Apparently there have been some undocumented fixes over the years that may have eliminated some of these.)

I'd like to fix as many of these as we can, within reason, though many (if not most) will be unfixable due to being core engine related. And some may have been just plain misunderstood and/or misreported. But proper documentation is still good, nonetheless.

There were nearly 600 documented bugs in this list over the years. Each thread will contain a block of 100 so that the threads don't get out of control. Also, only surviving bugs will be reprinted, so that means that each list will contain significantly fewer than 100 bugs.

The indicated status of the bugs appearing here may be 'confirmed' or 'unconfirmed,' but I would like you to confirm both types regardless.

Thanks for your help. :)

==================================================

BUGS 201 - 300 | 35 bugs

Confirmed
    Scribed spells sometimes use caster level and sometimes use lowest casting level (should be only the latter).

Confirmed
    Evil priests are prevented from casting Magic Circle Against Good, even if they do not have the evil domain. I am not sure whether this is in line with 3rd edition rules or not. In any case if it is meant to be a restriction the same evil priest can simply scribe magic circle against evil onto a scroll. Apparently there is no prohibition making magical items with restricted spells! Somehow, re able to scibe them, though.

Unconfirmed
    Calm Emotions: permanent particle effect.

Unconfirmed
    Inspire Greatness leaves motes above character heads.

Unconfirmed
    Falrinth's Ghoul Touch is permanent.

Unconfirmed
    Falrinth's Silence is permanent.

Unconfirmed
    Falrinth's Grease is permanent.

Unconfirmed
    Falrinth's Charm Person is permanent.

Unconfirmed
    Wind Wall is permanent. Enemies have to make concealment checks when using ranged weapons long after the spell has ended. (the spell animation does not remain.)

Unconfirmed
    Strength increase from Death Knell is permanent.

Confirmed
    Lesser Globe of Invulnerability effect is permanent for Falrinth.

Unconfirmed
    Ghoul Touch effect does not wear off.

Unconfirmed
    Invisibility still permanent post patch (cast by Zaxis).

Unconfirmed
    Spike Growth is still reported as permanent post patch.

Unconfirmed
    Ice Storm permanent visuals if cast from a screen or two away (no combat initiation).

Confirmed
    Searching for secret doors is DC 0.

Confirmed
    Negative Dex penalties not applied correctly with certain armors (Hedrack's plate or full plate +1) and Dex modif of -1 gives +1 to AC; (Chainmail +1) and Dex modif of -2, -3, -4 gives +2 to AC.

Confirmed
    Halfling siangham is not included in exotic weapon proficiency/weapon focus/weapon specialization feats (no regular sianghams in the game).

Confirmed
    Wands of Summon Monster: Cannot select monster you want to summon. After casting a regular summon monster spell, that becomes the default monster for a wand. Applies to scribed scrolls of summon monster as well.

Confirmed
    Multiple Amulets of Natural Armor can occupy the same slot but their effects do not stack.

Confirmed
    All the Cure spells occasionally heal 1 hp. The bonus from caster level and dice seems to be applied to the maximum, but not to the minimum.

Confirmed
    Magic Weapon on Lareth's Staff of Striking gives Enhancement Bonus +200 (or 213).

Confirmed
    The Chain Lightning wand found in falrinth chest 2 remains buggy. Wand seems to give proper number of targets as indicated but actual number of targets may not follow 3.5e rules strictly.

Confirmed
    Meleny doesn't get a feat at 3rd level.

Confirmed
    Snake venom (moathouse viper) is supposed to deal Con damage, but it deals Str damage.

Confirmed
    Hydras have one AoO per round. It should be one per head.

Unconfirmed
    Iuz's AI broken wrt characters w/mirror image.

Confirmed
    Elementals that are summoned by enemy spellcasters are considered enemies of the spellcasters who summoned them.

Confirmed
    Trolls sometimes become unkillable. A 2nd visit to an unkilled troll results in the 1st attack taking a long time to complete and the 2nd attack never happens leaving you stuck. This happens to ogres as well if you leave them unconscious the first time. Also to werewolves. Maybe also in other cases.

Confirmed
    Bugged hostile state/conversation with Belsornig. Often he goes through the dialog, hires you, and then the juggernaught goes hostile. One time I charmed him during battle and killed his minions and then he went into the dialog, and afterwards I was unable to speak to him.

Unconfirmed
    If a scared/turned enemy finds an exit to run out of you never see him again and are stuck there hitting the space bar.

Confirmed
    Zert could not attack any enemies (at least in the moat house) unless he chose Full Attack. Erratically reproducible.

Confirmed
    Casting Mass Cure on party makes Otis hostile(?). The spell has also been reported to make other NPCs hostile.

Unconfirmed
    After "Raise Dead", NPCs do not act like party members but have party member dialog options.

Unconfirmed
    Killing party members (NPCs) to make room for Lareth causes Lareth to go hostile, botching the quest.

2. phlippy g

phlippy g Member

As before 108, 149,161,222(not always),258,293(only the bugbears).

3. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Gaear
    I Have two more for you.
    #268 "Spugnoir doesn't get 2 new spells per level, nor do his skills ever increase"
    BUSTED !! Not only does Spugnoir learn 2 spells per new level and his skills DO increase, it seems that he starts off with more skill points than the rules call for. According to d20srd, Spugnoir should have a total of 25 skill points [ (INT mod + 2) x 4 + (INT mod + 2) ] Spugnoir has an Intelligence Modifier of +3, so [(3+2)x4 + (3+2)] = (5x4) + 5 = 25. Spugnoir starts off with 30 skillpoints at 2nd Level ( 5 points used in each of the following skills: Concentrate, listen, Search, Spellcraft, Spot and Tumble ). In my opinion the best way to bring Spugnoir into compliance with the rules would be to subtract 1 skillpoint from each skill except Spellcraft. This would reduce his skills to Concentrate: 5 (4 +1 Con bonus), Listen: 2.0, Search: 5.0 (4 points crossclass plus INT bonus), Spellcraft: 10 ( 5 + INT Bonus + Scholars Kit Bonus) Spot: 2.0 (4 points crossclass) and Tumble: 3.0 (4 points crossclass + DEX bonus)
    #269 "Meleny doesn't get a feat at 3rd level"
    BUSTED !! I just leveled Meleny up to 3rd Level (Druid), and she got a feat (Craft Wondrous Item).
    The Royal Canadian

4. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

TRC in your calculations you forgot Spugnoir's humanity

At each level 2 (for wizard) + 3 (intelligence bonus) + 1 (human as per PHB p 62) = 6

6x4 = 24 at level 1 and 6 more at level 2 = 30 points

5. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi Pygmy
    Oops !!! You are correct. That will teach me to post without thoroughly researching the rules
    The Royal Canadian

6. mark hill

mark hill Member

Id take that to mean ToEE architects make really unsubtle secret doors .. maybe too chaotic to patiently do a good job? Insane etc I presume lol

7. hellblazer

hellblazer Established Member

Unconfirmed
    Ice Storm permanent visuals if cast from a screen or two away (no combat initiation).

I don't know about this but extend spell is supposed to make it last 2 rounds and it doesn't.

8. grinner666

grinner666 Member

The caster level of a scribed spell SHOULD be the choice of the spellcaster scribing it, with the XP cost dependent on CL. I'd understand if this is too difficult to deal with, however.

Our Host!